Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the difference between the two?

in General 199 karma
All Librarians enjoy spending time organizing books. Since Susan enjoys spending time organizing books, I imagine she's a librarian.

It is well known know that Yahoo Corporation has slashed the amount it pays in salaries by 6 percent this year. Since Jeff works at Yahoo, his salary was reduced by 6 percent.

Are these different flaws or the same?

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2015 7468 karma
    They are different. The first one is a classic sufficiency/necessity confusion. The second one is inferring that something has occurred to a part of an entity merely because that something has occurred to the whole entity. Perhaps the 6% salary reduction consists solely of the CEO losing half his income. Quite possible in this age of income inequality (sorry, I couldn't resist. Vote Bernie Sanders. :) ). In that case, Jeff's salary could stay the same or even increase.
  • nordeendnordeend Alum Member
    edited November 2015 349 karma
    @"LSAT Determined" I will take a stab at this and im sure others will correct if need be. The 1st makes the flaw of affirming the necessary condition which leads to zero conclusions. The second has a whole to part element and im not sure what is wrong with it. If yahoo reduced all salaries by 6% then it is valid since the sufficient condition is satisfied. Is this from a PT or problem set?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @"LSAT Determined" you need to get intimate with the Trainer if you haven't already.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    The first statement is definitely flawed:

Librarian--->enjoys spending time organizing books. Susan enjoys spending time organizing books. Therefore, librarian. This is a common invalid reasoning form X--->Y. Y. Therefore X. The gist of why this is a flaw is that we don't know if being a librarian is the only type of person that enjoys spending time organizing books.

The second statement isn't as clear cut. This was my diagram:
    Yahoo Corporation--->Slashed all salaries by 6%. Jeff works at Yahoo Corporation. Therefore, his salary was reduced by 6%. If you accept my diagram, then the reasoning is valid. We don't actually know if ALL salaries were slashed by 6% (it was an assumption I made in order to diagram it).

However, given the context of the statement, I think it is flawed because it suggests a whole to part flaw. Just because salaries in general were slashed by 6%, it doesn't mean that Jeff's salary was necessarily slashed. Hope this helps!