Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR access waiver

7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
in General 932 karma
Does anyone actually waive it?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Yes, from what I have gathered, most people waive it. It's not a super huge deal, but it does signal to the schools that their was no influence involved and that the recommenders were free to be as open and honest as they pleased. It seems like this matters more to some schools than others, but in the end there is really no benefit to not waiving it other than getting some gratification from reading about (hopefully) how great and awesome you are. Since you shouldn't be requesting or supplying letters that say anything less, why would you need to read them? If you are a borderline candidate in any regard, put your curiosity in check and waive your right so you don't have anything that might push you over to the wrong side of the fence.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Yes, waive. Most do.
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    Just make sure you are asking someone you are positive will give you a superb review. I'd advise to offer an exit to whomever you are asking in the event that they are a little hesitant. If you feel that they are uncertain then find someone else. I just really mention this as I went to undergrad where TA's were the ones who graded and taught us in a smaller scale environment. So if you had a good grade in the class but never made a presence to a professor it may not work out.... I recently went to a UCLA Law info event and I was SHOCKED to hear some of the bad LOR's that they receive. Don't let that be you.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @cjones76 said:
    Just make sure you are asking someone you are positive will give you a superb review.
    This is really great advice and can't be emphasized enough. I go so far as to ask specifically for an excellent LOR or nothing and no hard feelings if the latter is the case. Also, for professors, remember that this is essentially a run of the mill part of their job and so they should be perfectly capable of being open and honest about the type of LOR they could write. If they seem at all unenthusiastic or it's like pulling teeth to get it done then run for the hills!