Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Recommendation- Access Rights Waiver

awevans9awevans9 Core Member
edited January 2021 in Law School Admissions 28 karma

Hi can anyone with experience with this please give me some insight! I am beginning the process of getting my LORs in order. I am conflicted about the access rights waiver. The LSAC says they encourage you to waive your right to view your recommender's submitted letter so that they are more candid. They claim that in return law schools will look more favorably upon your application. I am hesitant to wave them just so I can see which letters are strongest before choosing which to attach to my applications. Does waiving your rights really make that much of a difference? Any information or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    edited January 2021 552 karma

I think the norm is to waive your rights. I don't know what the admissions officers would think, but as with anything breaking away from the norm it might catch someone's eye and it might make them wonder a little bit more why you would break away from the norm.

https://www.colorado.edu/career/confidentiality-should-i-keep-or-waive-my-right-view-recommendation-letters

Here's something I googled really quickly that might help.

If you waive access, a member of an admissions committee might tentatively draw one or more of the following conclusions:

The student has nothing to conceal
    The student has confidence in her/his ability to choose recommenders and did not feel it was necessary to review the letter before it was sent.
    The student does not feel a moral obligation to exercise his/her civil rights in this way.

• awevans9awevans9 Core Member
    28 karma

@Auntie2020 Thank you so much for this! I didn't think about it in that way. Those are all really good points to consider. I appreciate your insight and help :)

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

Yay no problem. Good luck!