Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT 69 and up...

LARamsNationLARamsNation Member
in General 592 karma
Wow, I know for the most part if we apply the skills we've come to learn then we should be OK with the slight variations of the more recent exams, but honestly, holy shit.. they are definitely harder. Maybe not so much the questions, but I guess the length of the question stems. Super frustrating, I wish I started PTing these 69 and up 2-3 weeks ago. Any advice on how to tighten up LR on these more recent exams? I just took 70, and my confidence is shaken. Is it just an adjustment period with reading these longer stimuli? I sure hope so.. or im fucked 13 days from now

Comments

• Will DearbornWill Dearborn Alum Member
    218 karma
    I just want to say I'm in the same predicament as you bud, it does feel kinda demoralizing. I really wish I started studying the most recent exams a lot earlier. Personally I feel that while LR continues to test for the same/similar flaws and assumptions, the questions have become so much more trickier, subtler.

I just took PT 72, so in order to try and acclimate/improve I changed my BR process a little bit. I'm writing/even more thoroughly going through every single question include the ones I got right. I'm copying the answer choices and verbally giving a reason as to why each one is correct/incorrect. In addition, I'm watching the explanation videos for every single question in the section. Frankly, this process sucks lol and takes me about 2-4 hours, but this is the life I've chosen haha. I'm dedicating these last 13 days to taking and thoroughly BRing PTs 73,74,75. I mean, what other options do we have at this point other then to take again in February?
  • diana1493diana1493 Alum Member
    78 karma
    You are definitely not alone, first of all. LR has been my strong suit for a long time, I was averaging -2 for both sections and would often hit a perfect score on a section. So I was definitely having a confidence crisis when I went -8 for LR on PT 72. I will echo @Patroclus and agree that a more thorough than usual BR is your best bet. Also, if you see a trend in the ones you are missing or hesitating on, dont be afraid to review the curriculum. For example I was struggling on Strengthen questions for some reason and I went back and redid the whole lesson on that question type. Sometimes we need that back to the basics. I was as freaked as you and just made these tweaks, and Im back at the same performance level on LR as I was for the 50s/60s.

As far as the longer question stems, is this leading to problems with your timing or just accuracy? I didnt really notice that with the 70s personally, although you may be right. Also remember that one or even two PTs dont say as much as we think they do. For example I hit a major low when i scored 168 on PT 72, but literally the next week I took PT 73 and scored 175. Some tests just exploit our weaknesses more than others. Don't let the scary rep the 70s have get too into your head, like I did at first, just keep taking them and learning from them, I bet your scores will bounce back asap!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    The only real change of note I have seen is less conditional logic and greater emphasis on correlation/causation flaws, subset issues (part/whole), survey/study flaws, and a few other flaws that could be related to one or more of these issues.

This is why I've always favored skipping around. The tests in any given year or set of ten are not magnitudes of order harder than any other, they just shift in emphasis from time to time. I think this is largely due to the reactive nature of LSAC. When they see a bunch of prep test companies pop up that push hard on conditional logic or other issues then they adjust fire accordingly to keep everyone on their toes.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    This is why I've always favored skipping around.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Stay strong, team ... Just BR the hell out of these most recent PT's and you'll build the familiarity.