Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many law schools will you apply to?

7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
in General 932 karma
How many law schools will you apply to?

Comments

• splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
    340 karma
    I'll find out when I see my score in 3 weeks... o_o
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    All the ones I have fee waivers for so about 10
  • selenaa.c.59selenaa.c.59 Member
    14 karma
    1. Please for the love of UBC law, I'm 0.1 off it's usual acceptance index. Fingers crossed.
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    edited December 2015 932 karma
    I'm applying to 15 schools. But remember, even if you get an app waiver you'll still have to pay the $30 crs fee per app.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
  • deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
    393 karma
  • jaspreetkaur28jaspreetkaur28 Free Trial Member
    20 karma
  • UsernameChangeUsernameChange Free Trial Member
    edited December 2015 349 karma
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    maybe 10 but hopefully fewer
    8021 karma
    FWIW most people apply to way too many schools, and usually that means way too many safety schools. Unless you have money to burn you should really trim the bottom of your list. The lowest ranked school should be one you would be happy to go to and you're 99% sure you'll get into. Then a couple safeties just below your target range, then all your targets and reaches. And don't apply to schools you have no desire to attend unless you need to do so for scholarship negotiation purposes.

For me I have 10 of the T14, one in the teens, one in the 20-35 range and one in the 40-50 range. My calculus is a bit different since every school is free for me so I don't care about taking fliers on the top schools where I likely have no shot, but you should not be applying to 10 safety schools as a general rule.
    932 karma
    I think if you don't apply to at least 7 schools you are probably limiting your potential for scholarship negotiation and reaches
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    I've been getting a ton of emails from schools, some with fee waiver offers. Is that how you guys have gotten all your fee wavers?
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    7 - 9 schools for me depending on my dec. score.
  • splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
    340 karma
    I'm on the "do no spam" option with LSAC... maybe I should change that if it will get some fee waiver offers.
  • J.H. SongJ.H. Song Alum Member
    201 karma
    @Sheri123 Yes, I believe that's how most of us get it. The other option would be to contact the specific schools and ask for it. Many schools are receptive to such solicitations.
    @splitterhopeful absolutely! No matter what your score is, you will receive at least 10 waivers the minute you sign up for CRS. Trust me, I got like 15 at the beginning of the cycle before I had an LSAT score and with only self-reported GPA. And among those 15 or so were UVA, UPenn, WUSTL, and BU, so its not like they're all Tier 3+ that will take anyone who applies.
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    @Sheri123 got ost of my fee waivers from eith emailing the law schols admissions office or completing their online form
    349 karma
    @Sheri123 yes. I've personally contacted no schools but have gotten fee waivers via snail mail and email. Even schools like duke and uva emailed me fee waivers. If you don't have the option set up where schools can see your lsac info I suggest turning it on.
    1196 karma
    harleywferguson, had you already taken the exam before or was December your first time?
    8021 karma
    I got some automatically and requested vet waivers for the rest. I'm only paying for 3 out of 13 apps now and it will likely stay that way.
    349 karma
    I took it in October as well.
    1196 karma
    For those of you who repeated yesterday after having taken it in October, do you feel anymore confident in having performed better this time around? If not what would you do differently if you knew after the Oct exam what the Dec exam would be like?
    8021 karma
    I almost certainly did better this time around... December was exactly as I expected it to be with a harder LG and easier LR. RC was slightly easier as well in my opinion since the inferences weren't as crazy as some of the October ones were.
    932 karma
    I got an app waiver from every top 20 school outside of H,Y,and S.... I'm applying exclusively to the top 20 and hopefully one accepts me with a scholarship.
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    edited December 2015 349 karma
    I'm applying to about 20 schools, but it's mostly because I qualify for fee waivers and want to have scholarship negotiation opportunities.
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    For those of you who repeated yesterday after having taken it in October, do you feel anymore confident in having performed better this time around? If not what would you do differently if you knew after the Oct exam what the Dec exam would be like?
    Even though my PT scores were much lower going into December than they were going into the October exam, I feel a lot better about this test. After the October exam, I was upset because I knew it didn't go well (and it didn't), so I signed up here the next day. I had been too nervous and let stupid little things drastically affect my mood. In December, I was much more chill and wasn't swayed by things that felt easy or difficult. I remained vigilant throughout the entire test. Regardless, I need to see my score before I can confidently say that what I did worked. :)

As for fee waivers, I haven't asked for any, but I've gotten a bunch in emails (including about half of the top 20 schools).
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    Applied to the top 16 and GW.