Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advice about following curriculum from an impatient student

skaplan9190skaplan9190 Alum Member
in General 137 karma
I just wanted to put this out there for anyone who might have done/is doing what I just did in my study process. Just to give a small preface, I'm generally a pretty impatient person and I also set extremely high standards for myself. Sound familiar?

That being said when I started 7Sage I was so eager to get through it and start cranking out PTs to see how I was performing, sure that as soon as I knew some of the material that would somehow manifest in immediate and remarkable improvement. Needless to say I quickly saw the huge flaw in making that kind of mistake. Even though I initially did see improvement from my diagnostic (152), after about the 6th PT of getting the same score (160, 159, 161, etc), I realized I must be doing something wrong. What I did wrong was that I rushed through a lot of the Core Curriculum. Because many of the concepts made sense to me I didn't see it as necessary that I really spend time drilling them into my brain to make them second nature. The impatience got the best of me. I now realize there is a reason to spend your sweet ass time on the curriculum - it actually makes you better at this test. Who woulda thought?!

I know this all seems logical and for many of you perhaps it would seem ridiculous I would do that, but I figure that if I did it there are probably others who have or who are doing it as well, and keeping themselves from a true opportunity for growth simply because of a lack of patience. I stopped taking PTs because I saw it as pointless to waste precious tests if I wasn't getting out of them what I should, and went back to the CC. I started to review lessons I skimmed over and really did the drills in full. Instead of just answering the questions (kind of doing BR but not really), checking my answers and then moving on, I began to do the questions, BR them, then watch the videos - and this is important - EVEN if I got the answers right. There is so much in these videos that helps in solidifying being able to recognize the patterns of this test that anyone who has invested in this program would be doing a huge disservice to themselves to not take advantage of. Before I only watched the videos, if I did at all, for the questions I got wrong. I missed a great opportunity in doing that to learn so much valuable information that can be gained from different question types.

Again I'm putting this out there because even though I it's embarrassing to admit not doing something the way it's meant to be done and thereby making the mistake I made, it's something that I'm sure plagues many eager students who want to see quick and big results. All I can say is go to a yoga class, take a few deep breaths and say Goose Fraba - it'll all be okay. Learn as much as you can, soak in the CC, then march into those PTs and start getting the scores that are more reflective of your potential. The only reason you would not be scoring where you'd like is because somewhere along the line you cut corners (or at least that's what I think).

Hope this helps someone out there struggling with the same issues I have been struggling with.

Comments

• sarahfatima28sarahfatima28 Alum Member
    320 karma
    Wonderful advice! Two thumbs up.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    That is great advice @skaplan9190! I especially like the advice to listen to the explanations even if you get the questions right because JY goes through ALL answer choices and explains why the right one is right and the wrong ones are wrong, so you learn to recognize patterns of (especially) what makes wrong answers wrong. If you got your question right because you were able to identify the correct answer and moved on (a perfectly valid strategy for taking a timed PT) you would be missing the opportunity to learn from the wrong answers.
    Of course, you don't need to watch the videos for every question in every PT later in your prep, but in the curriculum stage it makes absolute sense.
    Thanks for bringing it up!
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @skaplan9190 said:
    I know this all seems logical and for many of you perhaps it would seem ridiculous I would do that, but I figure that if I did it there are probably others who have or who are doing it as well, and keeping themselves from a true opportunity for growth simply because of a lack of patience.
    Doesn't seem ridiculous at all—quite natural, really!
    @skaplan9190 said:
    I now realize there is a reason to spend your sweet ass time on the curriculum - it actually makes you better at this test. Who woulda thought?!

O yas :D
    @skaplan9190 said:
    Again I'm putting this out there because even though I it's embarrassing to admit not doing something the way it's meant to be done and thereby making the mistake I made, it's something that I'm sure plagues many eager students who want to see quick and big results.
    I admire your humility and generosity in sharing!!!
    @skaplan9190 said:
    The only reason you would not be scoring where you'd like is because somewhere along the line you cut corners (or at least that's what I think).
    OR—because it just takes time :) Sometimes a lot of time!!! But it's worth it. I just got a $99,000 scholarship at a T20 school as a splitter because of my LSAT score. Was that kind of money/opportunity worth 1.5 years of my life? Yes. Yes it was.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited March 2016 27860 karma
    Well said. So glad you've arrived at this @skaplan9190. Despite the same advice in the forum that gets repeated over and over again, I think this is something everyone has to realize for themselves. It seems like you've had a sincere apostrophe, and that really is the first step in conquering this test.
  • apwilliamsapwilliams Alum Member
    26 karma
    Ugh. This is me. I'm too impatient so when I "kinda" get something I just move on. I also rushed through the curriculum and my scores are decent but not where I want to be. I knew I was wrong, but seeing it in writing makes it harder to ignore haha. Thanks for the post!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @skaplan9190 Welcome to the club that many of us have regretfully joined making the exact same mistakes rushing through the curriculum. The greatest part of your experience is that you recognized the problem before you wasted any more precious resources - fresh PT's.

I have just finished re-doing the curriculum and can promise that it is very exciting getting to the point where "I know what I do not know." Now I can focus on shoring up my weaknesses and work on timing/skipping strategies.

Thanks for sharing and hopefully we can all keep other people from joining our club!!
  • skaplan9190skaplan9190 Alum Member
    137 karma
    @apwilliams I'm so happy this helped in some ways help you recognize that, and hopefully you'll do the same thing I'm doing and end up with better scores as a result :) I think I might past small sticky notes all over my room reminding me to "be patient" lol - couldn't hurt right?

and @twssmith the goal is definitely to do just that. Not a fun club to be in, but isn't recognizing you have a problem the first step to overcoming it? me: "Hi my name is Samantha and I'm an impatient LSAT learner." group: "Hi Samantha" lol... anyways very happy you're starting to seeing the improvement you've very much earned.

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @skaplan9190 Love it!!
    "Hi my name is Tyler and I am an impatient LSAT learner."
  • KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
    260 karma
    Great post/advice here! Slow and steady wins the race. My first go-round I was cranking out ~40 hours/week in the core curriculum with 3 PTs a week... This was awful for me because in my opinion: (1) 40 hours/week is nuts. I would ignorantly rush through lessons due to the required hours that I needed to complete. "Yea yea I get it, next lesson, let's move on".. You absolutely need time away from the LSAT and time to digest the information you've just learned (2) 3 PTs a week did not give me sufficient time to properly BR my PTs and drill.

With that being said. I started from scratch. This go-round my required hours/week is ~20. Allows me (and somewhat forces me) to put the books down and go exercise or do just about anything else. It's kinda like re-learning the ABCs but that's totally OK. Working on the fundamentals has actually made me more confident and I've gotten a lot more questions correct doing the drills in the core curriculum.

Moral of the story: patience is key.
  • skaplan9190skaplan9190 Alum Member
    137 karma
    @twssmith "Hi Tyler!" hahaha

and @KevinSage that's really good to hear. I know exactly what you mean. I've been forcing myself to stop and go to yoga or take the dogs for a long walk when I notice that I'm starting to get ahead of myself. Great way to combat the 'rushed' feeling that does nothing but harm. It's so amazing how much really goes into this test - I never would have guessed before deciding to take it really just how much it demands from you. It's great to get a taste though because as JY says in the first lesson, if you think the LSAT is hard Law School is harder. Woohoo!!!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I concur! I see PTs as serving 3 goals:
    1) Test where you stand in terms of your understanding of the LSAT.
    2) Allow you the chance to figure out what you need to improve on.
    3) Provide you with the most ideal way of experiencing what it will be like when you actually sit the exam.

Unless you understand what you are doing, taking PTs is pointless. You're pretty much just bubbling in answers and hoping that you have enough knowledge to do well. If you have to hope that you have enough knowledge to do well, set aside the PTs, and crack open the books (or computer in this case).

Always watch the 7Sage explanations. I can't tell you how many times I knew that my answer was right and that my rationale was fine...only to find out that the 7Sage explanation would come in handy on another question.