Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

502 Bad Gateway Error Message

fiji12345678fiji12345678 Member
edited June 2014 in General 108 karma
Anyone else getting a Bad Gateway message?

I cleaned the cache a number of times, but it still does not work.

Help please!

Comments

• bobaliciousbobalicious Member Sage
    127 karma
    I deleted my cookies and that worked.
  • anne2hoanganne2hoang Free Trial Member
    226 karma
    I had the same problem. I had to clear my cookies.
  • Dillon PGDillon PG Alum Member
    140 karma
    I use the program CCleaner every once in a while for clearing cookies among other basic PC maintenance tasks.
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I also was getting the bad gateway but not anymore.
  • fiji12345678fiji12345678 Member
    108 karma
    Thank you!
  • clarissa.hclarissa.h Alum Member
    50 karma
    I had the same problem! Thanks for the tip!
    edited June 2014 226 karma
    I got the same error message again today. I've never gotten this message before from any other website. But I've gotten it from twice from 7sage.

I am tired of clearing my cookies, so I switched to Chrome Incognito.
  • scoutfilmmakerscoutfilmmaker Alum Member
    2 karma
    Yeah, the solution is to clear cookies on your browser (or to use Incognito mode/private browsing). I actually went into the list of all the cookies and searched for just the ones from 7sage, because clearing all of them would clear things like Facebook, which will make you log in again (and depending on your security settings, that can be annoying).
  • Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    3075 karma
    Hey everyone, sorry again for this problem. I thought we had it licked with the last round of changes - it's really hard for us to know when we have it completely fixed because it happens randomly and intermittently.

I just pushed out another fix for this, and I'm optimistic that it will help a lot. Please let me know if you find yourself seeing the 502 error more or less often.
  • Joe Wu-1Joe Wu-1 Alum Member
    27 karma
    same problem here, from iPad.
    edited June 2014 3075 karma
    Thanks for letting me know Joe!

I just put out another patch would should further reduce the 502 errors. We're talking with our service providers to figure out everything we can do to eliminate these error messages.

From what we've seen so far, it looks like the error randomly hits people who visit the site, BUT once it hits, the error is stored in the browser. So if you still see the error after refreshing a couple of times, clearing the cookies and cache *usually* fixes it.

Thank you so much for your patience everyone. We are working hard to get this fixed as soon as possible, and the information you have been sending to us have been immensely helpful!
    3075 karma
    Some 7Sagers have been reporting that switching browsers has also been helpful when clearing cache/cookies doesn't work.
    226 karma
    I got the error message while using Incognito! I figured out that the "local storage" cookie is the culprit.
  • 7Sage Admin7Sage Admin Administrator
    298 karma
    Thanks for the update!

We're running out of ideas, so we're taking drastic measures. Tonight we are going to try moving to another server. This will hopefully help because it (a) has more resources and (b) is a different environment.

It shouldn't interrupt access to the website, but if something weird happens to the site around 1-2am EST time, this is why.

If anyone receives it again, please post, or email alan@7sage.com, your IP address (http://www.whatismyip.com/) and the time you get the error, including timezone. This is a very hard to diagnose problem, so all these clues are very helpful.

Sorry again for the trouble!
    298 karma
    The migration was successful! I also put in a couple more changes that should also help reduce 502's. Hopefully this problem is taken care of now. We're continuing to investigate and look for other things that might help.

Please let me know (with your IP and time you got the error) if you get the 502 error again!
  • miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
    180 karma
    i had the error using safari and then went to firefox just now and it worked. not on safari though. I have a macbook pro and am running OSX 10.8.5 and safari version 6.1 as well as firefox 29.0.1 - just fyi, not complaining -
  • miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
    180 karma
    just upgraded my OS and Safari did upgrade to 6.1.4 and i do not have the error message any longer…
    298 karma
    Thanks for the heads up! I was hoping the move would have fixed it, but the good news is that we found some more leads and are chasing them down as we speak. Thanks to everyone for being so patient with us while we work on this.

In the meantime, if you get the 502 error, please try clearing your cookies (http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cookies) - that will normally let you access the site again.
  • AsylumsAngelAsylumsAngel Alum Member
    12 karma
    I was able to bypass the 502 error code by clearing cookies and cache's from my browsers. I would recommend doing this for multiple browsers, and starting with at least clearing a week's worth. I then restarted my laptop and was able to access 7sage again. If you struggle with internet connectivity issues in addition to the 502 error messages, I would recommend a computer/laptop restart. I am not a computer expert at all, but these steps helped me.
  • fortunatezrfortunatezr Alum Member
    22 karma
    I deleted my browser history and cleared all cookies and data, but I still have the same problem. It works for few minutes then after few minutes of studying I get logged off automatically and have to log in again which is time consuming and annoying.
  • fortunatezrfortunatezr Alum Member
    22 karma
    Another problem is with writing a comment. It seems that it works now but, Sometimes I cannot do it. I like to put a comment under a lesson, but it doesn't to let me to finish writing it. I mean, I get stuck in the middle of it, and either I cannot type the rest of it or I cannot edit my comment.
    108 karma
    I just had to clear cache AGAIN!! I am getting tired of having to do it over and over. I wish I did not have to do it but I am happy that at least it works now.
    3075 karma
    Thank you for bearing with us! I know this must be quite frustrating, especially when it happens over and over.

The good news is that I think I've found a complete fix to the 502 error problem :)

The bad news is that it is not an easy fix :( It requires me to transplant 7Sage into a very different system environment, and reconfigure it for that environment. I've been working on it constantly for about a week now. I still have a good way to go, but there's an end in sight.

Sorry for the 502 troubles, I'm working to get this fix up asap!
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14039 karma
    Goooooooo Alan! You can do it!
    108 karma
    Thank you Alan.

You can do it!!!
    226 karma
    I got the 502 error again. I think its the LSAT bug!
  • Natureb90Natureb90 Alum Member
    14 karma
    I get the same error all the time..I've been using Chrome but now I need to use the internet explorer (yeah, i know) to get access to 7sage without the same error... Please help.
    108 karma
    I got the same error again................why.................
    3075 karma
    Good news, we're in the home stretch now. I've been putting the components of the new system together over the past couple of weeks, and now everything is finally coming together and working properly on the new system :D

Right now the plan is to keep on testing and tweaking things, then hook up 7sage.com to the new system on Saturday or Sunday night (Eastern time). The site will be in maintenance mode and temporarily unavailable during the move. I hope to keep the unavailability to less than six hours, but if I run into problems, it could be longer. I'll put up a notice on the site before going into maintenance mode.

Thank you all so much for waiting so patiently while I worked on fixing this stubborn and annoying issue, you guys and gals are the best!
  • TeddyKGBTeddyKGB Alum Member
    112 karma
    Hey Alan,

I never used to get the 502 message until after the site maintenance last night. I use Firefox and clearing the cache seems to fix it momentarily. More importantly, when I try to view/print a logic game section from the bundle it says "File Not Found." I hope this is fixed soon because the logic games bundle is a life-saver.
    298 karma
    Thanks for letting me know about this TeddyKGB! I fixed the Logic Games Bundle lesson so the PDFs should be available again.

The 502 gateway message is a tougher problem. I'll keep on it!
    298 karma
    According to the server logs, there have been zero 502 Gateway errors in the past 12 hours! I'm going to declare a tentative victory over stubborn foe :)

In other good news, I've been putting in lots of optimizations and tweaks, and the website is quite a bit faster than before.

If anyone notices 502 errors or anything else strange, please let me know!