Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've hit a slump

kdeel296kdeel296 Alum Member
in General 49 karma
hi friends
i have unfortunately hit a real slump in my LSAT studies. I am feeling very discouraged after several low scoring practice tests. I wouldn't say it's burnout because I haven't been going crazy studying but I just feel very unmotivated and hopeless as far as raising my score goes. I'm sure many of you have experienced something like this and just wanted to get any advice you may have for someone in my position. Thanks!

Comments

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    First off, remember that you are not alone. I can positively say that the majority of us have been or are currently where you are - annoyed, "depressed", and just want this to be over with.
    Don't let that cause you to make irrational decisions - for instance, taking the test before you are ready.
    Even though you don't think that it is burn out, it could still be that. Regardless of what it is, you should take a step back, and relax.
    Here is what I would do...take a few days off and do the following:
    Day(s) 1-2: Figure out where you stand, and where you want to be in regard to the LSAT. Then, figure out how you're going to get there. Essentially, you should use the first day or two of your short LSAT-break to figure out where you stand, and develop a plan of attack.
    Day(s) 2 - whenever-you-are-ready-to-start-again (sorry, I know...not creative): Relax! Don't look at the LSAT. Don't think about the LSAT. Stand up, and walk away. Use the next few days, or even weeks to relax. Go out, have fun. Do whatever it is that you do to relax.
    Return: Start studying again, take is slow then work your way up to a comfortable, yet efficient pace.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @klyons29 said:
    I just feel very unmotivated and hopeless
    The LSAT reduces us all to this at some point or another. And I really think they mean for it to. Of course, the LSAT is testing our ability to understand arguments and everything, but I really feel like an even bigger part of what it’s designed to test is how hard we’re willing to work for it and how well we’re able to manage the setbacks and the disappointments and the stress. What are the top schools looking for? Are they trying to build classes of geniuses? They are not. They’re trying to build classes of beasts. Beasts who can break through any barrier that stands in their way, who get knocked down and then do a cool karate flip to get right back up and round house kick the world in the face before it even knows what happened. That’s what the LSAT is testing, and the test doesn’t happen the day of. That’s a really common misconception. The test, for you, happens right now. Schools want to know: When you get knocked down, because you will get knocked down in school and in your career and in life, what do you do? Do you lose your drive? Do you accept that you have reached your limit? Or do you get mad? Do you scratch and claw and kick and scream and whatever else you have to do to keep pushing forward? Schools want to know, and the LSAT intentionally creates these moments to inform them.

Losing hope and motivation is, by design, a universal part of studying for the LSAT. If you don’t experience this, you’re probably not doing it right. So don’t feel like you’re alone or that it’s not okay. It’s normal and it’s fine and it’s going to be okay. The LSAT just pushed you and said come at me bro. The LSAT is an asshole and now you need to punch it in the face and knock its teeth out. You do that by being honest with yourself, by identifying your weaknesses, by returning to the curriculum to master them, by thorough and effective BR procedure, and by doubling down and doing the work.
  • chikukwanigelchikukwanigel Free Trial Member
    4 karma
    I'm also currently in this boat, but I always do everything in my power to remind myself why I took on this journey in the first place. It's easier said than done, but it works.....but boy oh boy does this feeling suck!
    27822 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    Relax! Don't look at the LSAT. Don't think about the LSAT. Stand up, and walk away. Use the next few days, or even weeks to relax. Go out, have fun. Do whatever it is that you do to relax.
    Return: Start studying again, take is slow then work your way up to a comfortable, yet efficient pace.
    Yeah, this is great. It may seem contrary to what I said, but I think it’s really important to do. I’ve never been able to improve my habits or efficiency just from one day to the next. You need to take a breather so you can return to it fresh, new and improved.
  • jimenezja.jjjimenezja.jj Alum Member
    187 karma
    I like this discussion I'm going to print out your advice and read it to myself when I get discouraged. @"Cant Get Right"
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I think the awareness of burnout is extremely important, though it isn't an all-encompassing term, nor is it a term sufficient to explain what you're going through. But what you're experiencing will affect your scores in ways that do NOT reflect your knowledge of the test. I can speak from personal experience, in fact, and have been taking a break to try to get back on track. I never felt burnout, but I was scoring low on tests because of where I was psychologically.

I played tennis among other sports when I was younger, and when my serve was in a rut, I stepped away from practicing it altogether to forget the damaging mindset I had during each and every practice serve. This helped to also erase my muscle memory and recalibrate it closer to what it where it was supposed to be. I've applied this same strategy to a number of circumstances, heck, even video games.
    27822 karma
    Yeah @MrSamIam and @danielznelson make really good points about burnout. It can be hard to recognize. First time I hit it I really had no idea what was going on. Rereading the original post, I wouldn't at all be surprised if this was burnout. Even though you haven't been studying a lot recently, that maybe a result of undiagnosed burnout. I'm actually on a study break right now. I get to break all my rules! Yay alcohol! I've been sitting here for the last two hours eating pizza, drinking beer, and watching Archer and it really is the best thing I could possibly do for my LSAT studying.

And just remember @jimenezja.jj that sometimes cool karate flips look like pizza beer and cartoons!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    edited April 2016 1762 karma
    @klyons29 I've so been there... these pts you are taking are part of the equation for your actual score. Take these tests to figure out what you need to work on, then work on it. Easier said than done but you can do it, we all can. You have to take baby steps, you're going to take wrong turns, you're going to go backwards, but give it your all and remember why you're doing this.

Aside from the Grade A advice on this thread, I just want to tell you about the serious gains since I've started drilling the bundle.

They're serious.

It's given me a much needed confidence boost after I did a few pts and figured out where I stand. I'm not where I need to be but I'm not were I was. That alone has me walking with a spring in my step.
  • cal6005cal6005 Free Trial Member
    106 karma
    @Cant Get Right, your comment above made me tear up when I read it. It transcended simple advice and was the most encouraging and honest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for that :)
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I get to break all my rules! Yay alcohol! I've been sitting here for the last two hours eating pizza, drinking beer, and watching Archer and it really is the best thing I could possibly do for my LSAT studying.
    Love this!
    27822 karma
    Glad if I could help @cal6005 ! The greatest weapon the LSAT writers have against us is by tricking us into thinking the LSAT is a 4 hour test. In fact, I’d probably say that taking the actual LSAT is, by far, the easiest part of the LSAT. It's a psychological meat grinder, but luckily, we get to go through all the most difficult parts together. So hang in there!
    27822 karma
    I loved that too @"Nicole Hopkins" !