Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone ese debating skipping law school?

PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
in General 359 karma
don't think i am the only one torn between a few different possibilities right now, wondering how other posters are making their decision?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    At this point, as much as I’ve invested in the LSAT, I’m committed like it or not!
  • STR80UTTAYYCSTR80UTTAYYC Member
    17 karma
    I have the unfortunate luck of having never had a passion. I simply have the ability to work like those you would call workaholics. With that being said, I wouldn't consider myself one because I hate working hard and my favorite part of the week is when I can just sit on the couch and do nothing every Saturday and Sunday night. Over the course of University and several jobs that I had during and after; from working at a liquor store, to a golf course, to accounts payable I have found that I am equally miserable doing all kinds of work. I just kinda figured I might as well be miserable doing something that involves a lot of reading and writing since I'm slightly less miserable doing that than math oriented stuff. One of my friends is a lawyer and his life is what most people would consider horrible. He's only 31 and already been divorced once and since then no girl wants to be in a relationship with him because he works 60-80 hours a week and never has time for anything. I haven't even talked to him in like 3 months because he works so much. The only reason I'm still going the lawyer route is because I'm a big believer in the philosophy of Arthur Schopenhauer. So the best advice I can give you is if you feel something else would make you "happy" or be slightly more bearable than being a lawyer then go do that.
  • AidoeAidoe Free Trial Member
    edited April 2016 236 karma
    I know there are so many other things I would prefer doing in this short miserable life of mine that I'm sure would make me so much happier while still living decently and comfortably well than going into law. This could be said for all professions that are stressful and demanding. But I choose law because it's a means to an end I ultimately want. My goal in life isn't to be a lawyer but to be a lawyer so that I can do XYZ. I think we too often think of a profession as an end in itself. If you can identify honestly what that end is then you should be able to make a better decision as to what profession can best be used as a means to that end. I don't think money or what @ STR80UTTAYYC was talking about like choosing what is most tolerable or the best of all evils sufficiently explains why anybody would go into law or any other profession for that matter. There are plenty of ways to make money and live less stressfully and there are certainly plenty of means more tolerable than practicing law no matter what your inclinations or interests are. If you're going to give up your life for law then be honest with yourself and know why you're doing it and what you're ultimately going to gain for sacrificing that precious commodity of time you have to be alive.
  • quinnxzhangquinnxzhang Member
    611 karma
    Man, the responses here are kinda disheartening (not that there's anything wrong with being pragmatic).

In my case, I'm actually more excited to go to law school than I am to become a lawyer (and I do want to become a lawyer). I miss academia, taking classes, thinking about interesting problems, and being surrounded by peers my age. If I could, I'd opt to be a student forever!
  • Fish0701Fish0701 Member
    133 karma
    I'm more along the lines of Quinn.... Those other comments just seem so morbid to me. Life is what you make of it. There are countless reasons to go to law school and everyone's reasons can/will be different. The reasoning may be right or wrong, but as long as you truly value your reasoning for going to law school, than I think you should (so long as you are able/capable). Law school is one (pretty long) chapter, so I wouldn't worry to much about the next chapter, let alone the end of the book.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    I don't think anyone has any business going to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. The benefits outside of the legal field are middling at best and can readily be gained in other careers/fields and for less of an initial investment.

It sounds like multiple people in this thread should not go to law school. Even people happy to be attorneys will contend with a high degree of misery. It will not go well for you if this isn't even something you want to do starting out!
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    edited April 2016 200 karma
    I agree with @"Nicole Hopkins". Somewhat depressing answers. As an older student (35) who has a Master's degree and 1 career already behind me (I was a librarian), I absolutely do not advise that anyone go into a career that they are already dreading. This is setting yourself up for a huge disappointment and very unhappy life. Unless there is an underlying passion (e.g., a love or even obsession with justice) then I don't understand why anyone would choose this path.

I resisted law forever because I also know many unhappy lawyers. Two years ago, I accidentally stumbled on a book about mass incarceration in America and became hooked on the topic. I read and read until I ended up basically reading criminal law textbooks for fun. I am obsessed with the topic and feel that being a lawyer for the indigent is not just something I want to do, but my obligation to society. That sounds very high-horse-y I know, but without this passion I don't think I could persevere through the LSAT, much less 3 years of law school and the Bar.

Like others in this thread, I struggled with finding the best career for me for a long time. I made the mistake of getting a Master's and paying too much for it once, so I have been very cautious about this plan. (Ironically, I'm now a job coach for homeless young people).

If you are still unsure of a career in law, please take some career assessments (Gallup Poll Strengthsfinder is a good ones), job shadow a lawyer, or just send out LinkedIn messages to lawyers asking them what they like/dislike about their jobs, what their day to day schedule is, etc. and check out the book 'What Color is Your Parachute?' (it's cheesy and old, but has some very good info. and tools for picking the right career for you). It's in your best interests to have as much info. as possible about any career, esp. one that requires so much training and money like law. I know for a fact that people who toil in jobs in careers they hate are miserable, unhappy, and not leading the lives they want. So.. don't make the same mistakes I and many others have- get more knowledge about yourself and make a good decision!
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2016 3545 karma
    I have the opposite problem as STR8. I have so many passions that are just as strong as my desire to go to law school and become a lawyer and all of them are options I've thought about for years -- I didn't decide any of these on a whim. I'm glad I've given myself the time to really explore what I'm most passionate about. Now if I could just get to an answer...
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    I don't think anyone has any business going to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. The benefits outside of the legal field are middling at best and can readily be gained in other careers/fields and for less of an initial investment.
    this...
    While TLS is not too well regarded here I suggest y'all and any1 else unsure of what they want to read through this thread. Granted it is mainly about NYC associates but theres a lot of other posters that through their thoughts in aswell
    http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=261392&hilit=boston
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    edited April 2016 456 karma
    This place seems to have gotten a little more cynical since I stopped checking it everyday lol what happened y'all?

Anyways I have to agree with @"Nicole Hopkins" on this one; if you don't want to be a lawyer (and the idea of that doesn't excite you), then you probably have no business going to law school. Not all lawyers are depressed, unable to find a significant other, and regretful of their decision to attend law school. I'd be willing to bet that many lawyers in that situation have plenty of other reasons as to why they are unhappy and un-dateable, aside from their demanding careers. Anyone who has completed the core curriculum on here should know that correlation does not imply causation.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Interesting. I've known I wanted to be an attorney since I was a fourth grader. I honestly cannot tell you my second choice of career because I don't have one. Never thought about it. I WILL be an attorney. I've had setbacks. Cancer at 25. A tumor on the base of my brain at 29 and a few other surgeries and procedures along the way. I'll be 33 next month and I'm just itching to enroll somewhere! My health and just life in general dampened my spirits but never dampened my passion! Law! If all that crap didn't permanently derail me nothing will, because I want it. To the original poster, is it really worth it to put forth all the time and effort when you know from the beginning it's not truly what you want?? No matter the reason/reasons? Best wishes regarding your decision.
  • kokobazookakokobazooka Member
    127 karma
    I wouldn't say that I am thinking about skipping out on law school, but I will say that as the law school application deadline get closer and closer, I find myself more and more AFRAID...Afraid of failure, of not being "smart" enough...of the reality of studying the LSAT for an entire year, of giving my 100% effort and STILL not being enough. Equally, I am afraid also of BEING ENOUGH, of having what it takes, of being worthy of this profession, and then having the responsibility to deliver on that. The skills this LSAT is testing us on are important and invaluable tools. It's not easy and sometimes I don't want to study, but it's a skill set I am damn near willing to do anything to get. I REALLY want these skills because i SEE the value in them. It is the utility of this education that really really gets me fired up. That is what's driving me through this LSAT study process. And that scares me. This whole damn process scares me. I am 100% committed, I study every day for the LSAT, I've done months of research on the profession, interviewed multiple lawyers, law students. I am still preparing. Every day I am preparing for this in every way I can think possible and I am still scared. And I don't think any amount of preparation will really get me over this fear, this dread of finding out that yes I do have what it takes, or finding out yes you DONT have what it takes.. Both outcomes EQUALLY scare me.

So when you ask if I'm thinking about skipping out on law school, sometimes I do. It crosses my mind, I accept it, let it pass and then I go back to studying. Because thats frikking fear. Thats ALL it is. F.alse E.vidence A.ppearing R.eal. You're damn right I'm afraid, and you're damn right I'm not going to let that stop me because I'm going to frikkin law school.
    456 karma
    ^^^ Love that expression about fear.
  • Edward__Edward__ Alum Member
    36 karma
    Ever noticed there are far more 1st year associates entering firms than 5th year associates? Associates above 3rd year are generally listed on the website, and you can see in their diversity publications how many intern/start as 1st years.
    You should wonder where they all go. What happens to them. What will happen to you. Don't assume you will be the 10% that 'make it.' Look hard at the debt you will have.
    edited April 2016 456 karma
    Lol where do they go?! You act like they all disappear off the face of the earth, and don't just find work at smaller boutique firms or corporate in house council positions (the horror!)... Like there's a pit of despair full of lost soul ex-biglaw associates that don't make partner track.

Not everyone wants to be a big law associate, and for good reason.
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    200 karma
    I would rather stab myself than be an associate at a big law firm. I'm hoping to work at either a small firm or for the government.
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    edited April 2016 359 karma
    Some of the posters here are assuming lackluster/ambivalent attitude towards law vs selecting between equally exciting/interesting/paying choices .I am absolutely excited at the prospect of law school and the legal world, I have a few great offers on the table at the moment but selecting law means missing out and something else, and selecting something else means missing out on law. maybe i will just role a dice to decide. I think @blah170blah can relate to this feeling..
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2016 1650 karma
    I'm also considering other options. As much as I've already put into this LSAT business, I'm about to graduate undergrad and have job offers at start-ups in front of me. Feel like those are exciting opportunities and going right back to school may be wasting them. I had always planned to take a year off before law school anyway. However my thought process is:

If I can make a comparable living without having to go back to school for 3 years and potentially take out some loans, why bother? This is under the assumption that I understand what being a lawyer is actually like, and could see myself doing the work.

Granted, I don't have big law aspirations. I've done internships at big and small firms, and the general vibe of small firm life is way better IMO. (Everyone knows each other, it's more a "working family"). Looks like I'm in a similar boat as @blah170blah and @Petrichor

I think that in the end, everything is subjective, and you need to decide what will make you happy above all else. Money is not sufficient for happiness.
  • UsernameChangeUsernameChange Free Trial Member
    349 karma
    Having seconds thoughts about attending law school is fine. Attending law school because you like reading and writing is not fine.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @Petrichor Yup -- we are of similar minds. I have 3/4 options I'm equally passionate and excited by that are completely separate fields.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" This x1000! I've spent the last ~year studying for this test. Whether or not I decide to go to law school, I'm taking the LSAT!
    I have around 4 options available. Unfortunately, all of them have an incredibly competitive pool of applicants. Coincidentally...all of them have stated that a J.D. would give an applicant an edge. I just wish the cost to attend LS would be reduced. I was speaking with one of the attorneys that I used to intern with. Apparently, a single semester's tuition was roughly the cost of my yearly parking permit during UG.
  • homeodohomeodo Alum Member
    45 karma
    Personal fulfillment is often a cumulative effect of meaningful relationships, interpersonal insight, emotional growth, purposeful work, and many other factors unearthed by understanding who you are. Who you are is discovered by listening to doubt and that small voice of insight that each of us has. Discovery isn't always quick or easy, but it is possible and likely if you work at it. Ultimately, fulfillment is a state of mind that's always with you and, because self-knowledge implies the possibility to act in ways consistent with that knowledge, fulfillment arises by acting on what you discover (by acting authentically). If you don't know 'who' you are, then in ignorance, you plod-on unfulfilled (in some, most, or all domains of life: relationships, work, family, etc.). So, back to the initial question about law. If you're doubting your choice, that's fine, you should listen to it and respect what it tells you. The answer to your doubt may not be clear now and the open question is good and fine. Don't worry. Just listen and be patient with yourself. Above all don't bury what you're experiencing, just hold on to it until your intuition bubbles up some answer. No doubt it will bring more questions (and that's fine too). But, that's how self-discovery works and each iteration brings you closer to more knowledge required for authentic living. If you stop or don't start, then the choice is clear, and the consequences are yours to bare until you decide to change it.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited May 2016 11542 karma
    @kokobazooka said:
    Thats ALL it is. F.alse E.vidence A.ppearing R.eal. You're damn right I'm afraid, and you're damn right I'm not going to let that stop me because I'm going to frikkin law school.
    Omg...this is what I was thinking all along but never came to terms....THANK YOU.