Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accepting a scholarship

mes08mes08 Alum Member
I have a deadline to accept a scholarship from one school, but I want to wait for my dream school's financial aid package before making a decision. Does anyone know if there are any serious repercussions to accepting the scholarship offer and then withdrawing my application from that school if I'm happy with the financial aid from my dream school? I don't think it's fair to give someone a one-week deadline to make such a huge financial decision, and if I'm not given an extension (which I've asked for), I'm trying to weigh all of my options. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    you can write to them and ask for an extension. i doubt there are any serious consequences other than losing your deposit, but i'd take a look at the terms and conditions to see if accepting the scholarship = binding decision to attend that school (i don't think this is common at all)
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    I also have a scholarship deadline approaching in late April, before the seat deposits are due (stressful!). I've asked for an extension as well, so it's great you already did that... I would bother them more, call the admissions or fin aid office and say you are truly in need of an extension. Give them a specific date where you could tell them your decision. I'm also unclear on the binding nature of accepting financial aid, but it seems like being honest about your intent to attend or not attend would be the best path.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    They should give you an extension, though some schools extend 2 weeks, some 3 days so might not make a difference. But if the acceptance/scholly letter says something about being binding then look into it but most schools at most make you withdraw any acceptances you currently have (not WL) so no there shouldnt be any repercussions except potentially losing out on a deposit but just read over the acceptance and scholarship letters to make sure they say nothing about withdrawing or acceptance being binding
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    Thanks for the advice, I got a one-week extension. I'm hoping that will be enough time for me to find out what the initial financial aid package is at my dream school :)