Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the LSAT Outside of the US?

lsatingslsatings Alum Member
in General 349 karma
I'm trying to be ready for the June LSAT but it's becoming very difficult. I had a lot on my plate the past couple of months which really shafted my LSAT studying and now I'm not sure I'll be scoring in the 170s (my current goal) by June. I'm currently at about a 162 (my score dropped from a 165 after taking so much time off of studying) and I would gladly settle for a 170 in June if I got it. I haven't even started to PT. I'm starting to feel discouraged and think that maybe postponing my test *again* might be beneficial for me and let me come at it slower. It's already a hard pill to swallow, and obviously I would love to get it done and over with in June.

However, I'll be overseas this fall and was looking up foreign test centers for the country I will be in. I was looking up more information about the exam to get an idea of what taking it overseas might be like and LSAC stated that the exam is undisclosed. Does that mean it's a different exam? This is totally new info for me. If anyone has any information at all about this that would be super great. Thank you!

Comments

• notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    I am not 100% sure but I read that if you write at a test center outside of North America and the Caribbean, you are likely to get a different test. I believe it is due to timing as it is evening/night in many parts of Asia (as an example) when it is daytime here. Having said that, the curve, scoring, administration, etc will be comparable to any other LSAC test (or test center).

You do need to keep in mind that certain centers might not even administer a test on certain test dates. So, it is best to check beforehand to see whether your preferred testing center will allow testing or not.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @lsatings said:
    LSAC stated that the exam is undisclosed.
    It will be much like a February or Sabbath administration. You will not know what you missed, or the curve, just your raw score (I think) and final LSAT score. Its still an LSAT test and will be just like the ones you've studied for. If you've taken the SPII or SPI tests they were all undisclosed tests.

The only international test that is different is the test for India, but it is not allowed to be used in US schools, so don't take that one.
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    @notwilliamwallace Yeah I heard that -- I tried finding the specific test date for the country I'll be in and was unable to. I sent a message to the LSAC administrators about this and will hopefully hear back about it soon.

@stepharizona Thanks! I read that as well. I'll be in Eurasia so I'm not too worried about the India LSAT :P
  • Grey WardenGrey Warden Alum Member
    edited April 2016 813 karma
    It is just like the PTs you have taken, don't worry about it, infact you won't be able to tell the difference as far as the content is concerned, I will be taking the test outside of the US too and I have spoken to some people to corroborate that. @stepharizona is right, LSAT-India is different, it is for Indian law schools.The LSAT administered in India by LSAC for admission to law schools in the US is just the same as the LSAT administered everywhere else in termsof difficulty etc., the questions are different of course.
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    200 karma
    I'm taking the LSAT in London in June, as I'm an American expat.
  • MookittyyMookittyy Member
    167 karma
    I took the LSAT in Budapest, and it was indeed a different test than the ones my friends took in Canada. However, I don't think it really matters what the contents of the test are; you are being tested on your ability to apply logic (etc.), after all. The only concern I would have is making sure the testing center is decent: bathrooms available, easy to find, reliable proctors? I know it's not easy to find these things out perhaps, but do some research on the location before you choose where to write it.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    I took the LSAT in Germany, Turkey, and then in Kansas. The German and Turkish LSATs were indeed different from the US one, but the bigger issue for me was that it's undisclosed. I feel like when I got back to studying, I would've improved a lot more had I been able to learn and focus on my mistakes.
    One thing to note though: be very careful about which testing center/location you choose. I had an amazing experience in Germany but it was horrible in Turkey. If you're able to, I think it's worth it to travel to a different, better testing center or country in order to make sure you're in ideal conditions.
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    @mes08 I'm going to send you a message soon! I have a few questions for you!