Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LoRs for Old People

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
So I finished undergrad in ’08, which by the way was a really shitty time to graduate, lol. Anyway. So I haven’t worked with my professors in a long long time and I’m not sure how valuable those letters would be. I also feel a little uncomfortable asking someone to vouch for me who I haven’t worked with for the better part of a decade. At best, all those letters can truthfully say is, “he was a great student ten years ago." I can get great professional letters all day long, but I’ve been doing the same work since I graduated and it’s nothing so impressive that I want multiples. So, I’m really not sure what to do.

Comments

• BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    following
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Hey Gramps (jk lol)

On a serious note, this is actually really tough. I attended the Ask Me Anything Webinar offered by 7sage/Spivey Consulting and the scenario of asking for LORs from professors from long ago was brought up. To my surprise, the hosts (who are former admission committee members from HYS) said academic letters are highly preferred over working letters and that's even for those who graduated long ago. They said it's going to be awkward to ask after such a long time but the value it holds on your application vs a working letter is immeasurable. Long story short, I think an academic letter is what you'll need anyway. I think providing your potential reccomendor with your resume will be helpful with the process. It gives them insight to who you are what you've done so they can write more in depth.
    11542 karma
    I believe that Webinar was recorded so do take a listen if you'd like!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Thanks @montahar . I was really bummed I missed that webinar, and plan on watching as soon as it's posted. That sounds a lot like what I needed to know though. Time to start tracking folks down. Most of my mentor professors aren't even at my alma mater anymore.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Quick, go to grad school!
    11542 karma
    @Pacifico lol nooo!!
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I think I remember you mentioning that you still have a good relationship with your undergraduate department, so if you think they would be willing and write a solid letter, I'd ask. Maybe provide a list of ideas (I'd like to remind you that I had this great idea that contributed to the success of the project, or I was the primary writer on the paper that was accepted with minor edits by Journal XYZ, you highlighted my paper as an example of excellent work in your class and so on).
    I think faculty members you had a genuinely close and good relationship would be happy to write you a letter, even if you need to jog their memory a bit on the details - they'll remember that they liked you and they thought you were smart. I think Nicole said she had no trouble securing letters from her advisors 10 years after graduation.
    I know my undergraduate mentor would be the first one I'd ask for a letter if he were still alive, and I've graduated 20 years ago.
    As for the letter not being relevant to the "current you" - I think a lot of the qualities schools are looking for are fairly lasting - if you were smart 8 years ago, barring a progressive mental disorder you're likely to still be smart now. Same goes for intellectually curious, willing to participate, hard-working and so on.
    And you can add a second letter from your employer that would enforce that you still have those qualities, and maybe some extras you didn't get a chance to showcase in college.
    Good luck hunting!
    11542 karma
    All the best @"Cant Get Right"!! :)
    27822 karma
    Thanks guys!

That makes me feel better @runiggyrun . I did develop some really good relationships with a number of faculty members back in my day. It feels weird, but if that's what law schools want that's what I'll give them.
    8021 karma
    If I were you I would try to get the three best possible academic LORs that you can and then one stellar professional/work LOR. Then use two academic and one professional LOR for all your apps and save the last LOR in case you need it for a WL.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I seem to recall from that webinar that they said the perfect combination for those that have been working for a while would be 2 academic & 1 professional LOR. Anyone else that may recall better than I do, please feel free to correct me.
    11542 karma
    @Sheri123 yup I remember that too.
  • 342 karma
    Actually this is one of my biggest concerns other than the LSAT... I really have NO one I can get LORs from...; I work for a HORRIBLE company that I swear if I went to one of my bosses and asked for a LOR they would start priming me to terminate. (a major reason why I am going to pursue my dream aint nobody got time for this job lol) so I am curious to see what everyone says here.
    11542 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee no one from your Alma mater?
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    So I haven’t worked with my professors in a long long time and I’m not sure how valuable those letters would be.
    I was the same class as you and the profs who wrote my letters were both my profs Sophomore year. It's worth a try. I'm pretty memorable though :)
    27822 karma
    Ok cool. I can do 2 academic 1 pro I think. I’ll have to think on a 3rd academic but there are 2 that I feel good about.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    I didn't have a pro letter. Just 2 academics.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 2086 karma
    Did you do any research or assisting (TA/Teaching Assistant) during UG? If so I would try to get in touch with those professors.
    A buddy of mine was 7 years out of undergrad before asking his research mentor for a LoR. They met in person and chatted over coffee. Needless to say, he got that LoR. If you did something significant with a professor, it's not likely that they have already forgotten about you.

I was told by a few schools that although academic LoRs would be best (since they speak to your ability to "survive" law school), professional LoRs will work if the former simply isn't an option.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    What would you all do if you were the professor?? I finished UG many, many decades ago and grad training many decades ago. I don't really want to ask students and it would be unethical to ask patients.
  • 342 karma
    @montahar I am over a decade out of college, so no sadly not really. :(
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    I was worried about the exact same thing. I found the email addresses of some of my profs and wrote them an email touching base in order to see if they still remembered me. To my surprise, they all did (or, pretended that they did :P)...In any case, I asked two of them for references and they gladly accepted. I went and spoke to them face to face during their office hours and they have assured me that they will definitely find time for me to write the LORs.

To be on the safer side, I also emailed the schools I was interested in. I told them the situation (that I finished school in 2010 and have been working since then) and asked for their advice. They all said that they are definitely content with LORs from my bosses or even people who know my character well (people other than family, that is). However, since I have profs willing to write the LORs, I will use that route since law schools definitely prefer academic references.
    11542 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee it won't hurt to try. Like I said show them your resume too so they can get a better grip of who you are thus forming a stronger LOR. I really feel for you guys. Its got to be tough to reach out after so long. I can't imagine submitting an application without an academic LOR though,especially after the emphasis Spivey Consulting gave. I wish you the best. Worst case scenario, talk to the admin committee of the law school(s) you're highly considering and see their view on your specific scenario.
    27822 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee that sounds like a really bad work situation. Glad you’re getting out of there! Do you volunteer with any organizations who could provide you a letter? Do you have any old profs you had been close with that you could potentially reach back out to? Any former bosses or bosses from other, past jobs? What about someone you work with who’s not really a boss but has some bullshit nominal title that technically makes them outrank you-someone who wouldn’t rat you out but who could be argued to be in a position to write a letter for you?

Just trying to think outside of the box.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7285 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" why don't you see if your old professors are willing to have a conversation with you on the phone or—if it's possible—let you take them out for coffee. Tell each one up front that you're applying to law school, but ask if they'd be willing to reconnect. If the answer is no, that professor probably won't write you a good LOR. If the answer is yes, you'll have a chance to remind him or her of who you are, catch them up on your life, and feel him out, so you'll have a sense of whether he or she will write you a good one.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    So great for @david.busis to share advice!!

p.s. David's webinar on how to get off wait-lists, while not intended for UnderGrad admissions, was the foundation that ultimately created the opportunity for my daughter to be accepted off of a highly selective wait-list for UG this Fall! Incredibly thankful for his expertise:)
  • tangobravo180tangobravo180 Alum Member
    14 karma
    Curious if anyone knows how professional letters from lawyers/law firms are viewed by admissions vs. other non-legal jobs? Sounds like prevailing wisdom is at least look up your professors and try.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    @tangobravo180 I would think if you worked for the lawyer/law firm that would be a great professional recommendation to use.

@Chipster Study & @"TheCubicleEscapee, if you have worked or volunteered with any organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, Homeless Shelter, Church etc... you might ask someone in the organization you have worked closely with to write a LOR for you. I think it is helpful if you can provide a copy of your resume, personal statement etc... to whoever you ask to write your letter.

Also just a suggestion because I personally ran into this scenario. Try to get 3 LOR early on so you are not having to wait for it to make your application complete. Additionally if a school only requires 2 LOR & submitting an additional is optional you may want to hold off on sending the 3rd. The reason for this is that often times when you are waitlisted schools suggest that you could send in an additional LOR to add to your file which could help you get off the waitlist. Otherwise you may want to plan ahead & try to get 4 LORs. It took me about a month to get a 4th LOR which was a long wait at this point in the game.
    27822 karma
    @"Chipster Study" Any potential for a letter from your documentary stuff? It might not be ideal but it’s at least interesting. I’m sure all these letters are the same so something that’s actually interesting might really jump out.
    27822 karma
    Thanks for all the responses guys! Special thanks to the man himself @david.busis . I feel a lot better about this now!
    edited June 2016 2481 karma
    @"Chipster Study" depending on how knowledgeable and supportive of your goals they are, you might think about asking colleagues/peers, especially ones you've worked with closely - people you collaborated with writing your books or doing research, people who were/are in a higher up position in your physician practice (I apologize if I don't remember the details of your career accurately). Even if you are not talking about your career change goals with your current colleagues/bosses, are there some folks that you no longer work with that you would feel comfortable asking for a recommendation?
    It's hard when you're not in a "managed" job and you're in a position where you're more likely to write than to request a letter of recommendation. I agree it would be weird and potentially ethically questionable to ask patients and current students, but it might be fine to ask someone you've mentored a while ago who is now fully independent (so there's no power imbalance or conflict of interest). LinkedIn allows people to recommend their superiors, and I don't see why a school wouldn't be interested in hearing about your intelligence, eloquence, passion and other qualities as experienced by someone you've mentored.

As a more general remark, I remember distinctly from one of the earlier webinars from several months ago (I think it was David's, but it might have been Mike's) that schools will understand that there comes a point where it's nearly impossible to get academic LOR's, and 20 years or so would qualify. If you still can, great, they'll take that as a sign that you were really memorable, but if not they won't raise an eyebrow. Professors retire, die and get very old just like other people and at some point even if they would be willing, they are no longer able.
  • dreamvilledreamville Member
    99 karma
    I have a slightly different situation. I had a professor write me a LOR while I was still in undergrad thinking I was going to go straight into 1L. That didn't happen and I ended up putting those plans on hold about 6 years ago. Anyone know if it would be an issue if I use that same letter now considering it was dated and submitted to LSAC a good while ago? My senses tells me a letter shouldn't go stale but I'm interested in opinions.
    2481 karma
    @dreamville said:
    Anyone know if it would be an issue if I use that same letter now considering it was dated and submitted to LSAC a good while ago?
    I don't think the age of the letter would necessarily be an issue, but I think your LSAC account and all its content expires after a while (I believe it's 5 years if you've subscribed to the CAS service).
  • dreamvilledreamville Member
    99 karma
    @runiggyrun it automatically renewed once I registered for the LSAT.
    2481 karma
    @dreamville said:
    it automatically renewed once I registered for the LSAT.
    Oh, nice! Good thing you managed to renew before everything got lost. I think it would be perfectly fine to go ahead with the letter you have - I think a letter that was written closer to your undergraduate time is likely to most accurately reflect the faculty's opinion of you as a student. I can't imagine a school having an issue with that - although they might be impressed with how organized and forward thinking you were securing that letter 6 years before applying to law school :-)
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    @dreamville , same situation. I caught them before they could forget me a long time ago. I asked an admissions officer during a visit to St Johns, and she said I could still use it.
    11542 karma
    Nice save, @dreamville! I don't see an issue with an old LOR; consider yourself fortunate :)
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Ok this is great I missed that night. I was going to share with @"Cant Get Right" that we do need at least 1 academic, but I didn't know that the preference was for two.

I graduated undergrad in 2000, Grad in 2005 and Grad in 2013. I do have one amazing LOR from my 2013 professor. The weird thing about that is, I have a "mentor" that checked my work, but they weren't a teacher, and the same professor oversaw all 18 credits for the professional certificate. Hmm... I will have to go see if I can find another one.

I currently have a LOR from the lawyer I worked with on all of my companies unemployment claims, a manager from my nonprofit who I mentored for a few years and then my new one will be from an academic institution, that I work for as a professor and curriculum designer... I am hoping that one, might help to bridge the missing academic LOR. Hmm... maybe I can get one from my program in 2004... and then drop a different letter.

Great topic

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited June 2016 3197 karma
    @dreamville said:
    That didn't happen and I ended up putting those plans on hold about 6 years ago
    The last consultant I spoke to said letters were hopefully no more than 3 years old.

It seems like academic letters shouldnt go stale, especially if they were written close to when you graduated. It seems like that would give the freshest perspective Maybe @"Mike Spivey" can comment.
    893 karma
    @"cantgetright" Now, that is an interesting idea - getting a letter from someone on the film team. Guess the best person would be the director of the film. Technically the director works for the producers, but in reality the director is the big cheese so that takes care of the conflict of interest. Thanks for that thought, I will have to file that away in the keep folder.
    893 karma
    @"runiggyrun" Ha!! Another good idea for a LOR - one of the authors who wrote for my book series. Maybe the guy who is the Vice Chairman of his department but in a different specialty than I am. We were even residents together many, many moons ago. Thanks for the very good thoughts, guys.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @david.busis said:
    Tell each one up front that you're applying to law school, but ask if they'd be willing to reconnect.
    What does this posed question mean? Do you wanna chat some more? Do we needto ask for the LOR in stages?
  • 342 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I am thinking outside the box & I have done a bit of editing for an author friend & helped her with testing for her novel. I am trying to think outside the box because like a lot of non traditional students I don't know if I went to my undergrad fully grasping how important it was to build those relationships. I was 22 and just trying to get a "real job" to pay bills, so as far as reaching out, I really do not think that is a possibility I can try... but I don't think I did anything really memorable. LET ME BE A LESSON PEOPLE :) . I have a friend that was just promoted as supervisor so I am going to try him out... I really do have a horrible a job and even if I do not get "accepted" to law school I will be leaving the work situation behind. I am trying to focus on the LSAT right now but I know in reality I have to start worrying about LORs too so I am very happy you posted this topic. It has me thinking outside the box.
    8021 karma
    For the difficult academic ones I think the best place to start is in and around the department you majored in. Hopefully you did better in your major than other areas and perhaps even crossed paths with certain professors in multiple classes. Also good to ask around to see who is big on writing LORs, takes them seriously, and could make up for an otherwise underwhelming impression you may have left.
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    200 karma
    Would it be very odd to have the headmaster of a private school who I know well and have volunteered for in the past write a reference? She has provided job reference for me, as well.
    8021 karma
    As long as you didn't go there it shouldn't be a big deal.
    27822 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee , glad I wasn't the only one worrying about this! I think we're going to be okay though. I'm also sure that there has to be at least some level of understanding for nontrads. They may still prefer academic references but I don't think it will be a deal breaker. May as well ask though.

One thing I've read about asking for letters is to make sure you give your writers an out. Many people feel really uncomfortable saying no, which can leave you with a tepid letter which can be a huge black mark on your application. So what I think I'm going to do is maybe mention some of the schools I hope to be applying to, and then ask specifically for the kind of letter I would need to be competitive at programs like at school X. And then say that I totally understand if, because of how much time has elapsed, they feel like they may not be able to write that kind of a letter. That way they can blame it on the time elapsed/specific quality of letter I'm asking for without feeling so uncomfortable.
    7285 karma
    @nye8870 Great question. I mean that you should take your recommender out for coffee or schedule a phone date. You don't need to ask for the LOR in stages—you can say from the start that you're looking for a recommendation—but it's important to have a conversation with your recommender before he or she writes the letter.
    edited June 2016 27822 karma
    So, this thread has really set my mind at ease. Thanks so much for all the responses! I feel like I have a lot more options than I realized before.

So this new perspective leaves me with a follow up question. I feel confident I can get two good academic letters. I have other professors who will certainly still remember me, but with whom I just didn't work as closely with. It sounds like the general rule is, academic letters are preferred over pro letters. Should I go for a third academic letter or do I need the pro letter to provide at least some idea of what I've been up to the last decade?

[Edit: Okay, I remembered another teacher who would almost certainly write me a great letter. She was from freshman year and I've kept up with her and had actually forgotten I'd had a class with her. So if that changes the equation, I can make the third academic one a good one.]
    7285 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I'd say you haven't been out of school long enough that a professional reference is absolutely necessary, so go with whoever you think will write the better letter. Consider how well each person knows you, how much each one likes you, and how well you think each one can write.
    27822 karma
    It's that last consideration that concerns me with my pro letters. I've got nothing but love from those guys, but I just don't know that they understand what needs to go into a powerful LoR, or if they have the writing chops to express it with eloquence. That has been a really stressful element of this process: It's out of my control. I know any letters I ask for will be written with the best of intentions, but that doesn't mean shit to admissions unless it actually translates.