Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scared into Registering for the Wrong Date??

edited June 2016 in September 2016 LSAT 49 karma
Before I can get into my actual concern, I have to setup a sort of lengthy background story, so you lovely person taking your wonderful time to read this post could grasp a better understanding of my concern. :D :O :/

So a week before this hectic spring semester ended, my school was offering our very first LSAT discussion panel hosted by Princeton Review. I was immediately drawn to the event because I thought, "hey. LSAT. Me likey" and because I was in serious need of guidance for the LSAT. Also a quick note, I had already set myself up for a mediocre attitude towards preparing for the LSAT because students I have spoken to prior seemed content with their scores in the 150's and told me that a condensed 3 months studying would be sufficient. I am currently a 20-year-old senior with a 3.7 GPA (salty about my GPA because I could have done better :P) who is scheduled to graduate May 2017.

Anyways back to the story, once the event finally rolls around, the PR marketing guy, who seems extremely chill and intelligent, basically tells me that LSAT is my life, and I should have been preparing for it yesterday. My stomach dropped at this point because I was appalled at how naive I was to waste precious LSAT studying time. The PR marketing guy then tells me that once I have finished taking my finals that I would need to register for the September LSAT immediately so my scores could be sent in with my law school applications to be accepted in time for fall 2017. Once I left the event, I felt both under pressure and motivated to start the LSAT journey. So of course once the semester ended, and I prolonged my LSAT journey about a week and a half due to physical and mental exhaustion, I began freaking out. The PR guy's voice was lingering in my head about how I needed to register and secure my seat ASAP and because of this roadblock I could not function properly. So I register and pay for the September 2016 LSAT to relieve myself of this lingering pressure then I heavily did some research on which LSAT study program I should invest in, and there I was, feeling great about everything. However, after reading multiple discussions in this LSAT program, I realize that I may have shorted myself studying time, and the pressure is back on.

I also now realize that I have an option to pay a fee to reschedule from taking the test in late September to December. While rescheduling to give myself more studying time, which I am unsure if I truly need it, I feel as though I may do poorly because of the exhaustion that might come from fall semester. I am taking 5 classes next semester with a 10 hour internship, which counts as one of those 5 classes, and I work 25 hours a week at night. Am I safe for taking the LSAT in September (I technically started studying last month), or should I try and reschedule for December, or am I just doomed for mediocrity?

Thank you for reading, I look forward to your responses! :-)

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8699 karma
    It has been my experience that the test itself is intense enough without strict time limits. The added pressures of 5 classes, work and an internship while productively studying can be done, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. You seem like an incredibly driven individual, but it sounds to me like a recipe for the burnout that many of us have experienced. My recommendation would be to study lightly and productively each day and when you see your progress manifest itself in measurable results in your PTs, then register for the closest administration of the test. Potentially wasting a take isn't worth it. Reading your post it seems you fall into the category of K-JD. Are there any prevailing factors that make going to law school in Fall 2017 the only option?

To help others potentially formulate a response:
    -Do you have a goal score?
    -Have you taken any diagnostics or any timed sections?
    -If so, what were your scores?

Good luck and stay in touch!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Lol. What a horrible PR guy. I get his intention but holy crap that would have emotionally scarred me too. Well first congratulations on your GPA, that came from hard work and dedication so be proud! Second, many people, including myself, take gap year(s) to study for the LSAT. Going straight from undergrad to law school is doable but it's not something that's obligatory. Usually people need a break after undergrad especially if they worked so hard to maintain good academic standing. You are going to find amazing people on here who are 10+ years out or undergrad and are willing to take on the LSAT and apply to LS. You're not doomed, especially because this is your first take at the LSAT, but I learned that preparing for the LSAT, being confident in how you score on the prep tests and your exam strategies, THEN apply for the actual exam is the correct and logical approach to take. You were clearly pressured into registering and although you say it made you feel better, nothing will make you feel better until you score your best on the practice lsats. It's strenuous but doable especially if being an attorney is something you see yourself doing. So the final question would be should you withdraw? Well if you're ok with the money portion, I think you should. A final note is taking the December LSAT won't put you at a major disadvantage. Even Feb or June. Take it when you feel it's best for you. Law school will always be there. Remember that! :)
    11542 karma
    Looking forward to seeing everyone else's input about this :D
    edited June 2016 11542 karma
    PS- I see that you signed up for a 7sage pack. From someone whose taken all walks of prep courses for the LSAT, I can confidently say you're in a good place to prepare for this exam. I literally have 0 shame when it comes to bragging about 7sage.
  • cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    730 karma
    Man, fuck that guy. He's right that you should devote yourself to the LSAT because it's a fucking hard test. But he's wrong that you should automatically register for September because, again, it's a really fucking hard test. While not universally true, I'd bet that most people are not able to reach their full potential on the LSAT within three months -- especially three months of anxious, pressurized studying. Unless your goal is simply to go to a law school -- which it shouldn't be for myriad reasons -- you should slowly consume the LSAT while accommodating the other shit you have going on. If that means you miss September (and it almost certainly will, unless you have unusual natural gifts), then fine. The ROI for this test is incredible; a few extra correct answers can net you tens of thousands of dollars in tax-free scholarship money.

If you can afford to spend your limited free time studying for the LSAT, and you're OK with potentially waiting until next year to apply, then study at a slow but deliberate pace and let the rest fall into place.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    First, what is your target score and diagnostic.

If you are after a 165 and had a 158 diagnostic that would yield completely different advice than a 145 diagnostic and a 171 goal, or even a 145 to a 160.

Everyone has different goals, so what are yours @"tiffany barragan"?

The next big question I have, is why the rush to go right from undergrad to Law School? It sounds like you are taking 15 credits plus working 25 hours a week. The absolutely, and MOST important thing you can do is keep the GPA you have and do everything you can to improve it. Maybe consider a year off after school for the LSAT and focus on adding 2-3 easier classes to bump up your GPA.

Unconventional, I know, but you need to maximize your LSAT score (depending on your personal goals) and your GPA. The LSAT score can change, once you graduate your GPA is set in stone.
  • 49 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    First, what is your target score and diagnostic.

First off, thank you so much for your response, I seriously appreciate it.

Secondly, my target score is at least in the 160's. Let's just say 165. I scored a horrible 140 on that very first prep test given at the beginning of this course; however, I knew I messed up the entire diagnostics test when I was taking the test because of the environment I was in. I NEVER make excuses, but this time it was just extremely horrible when I was taking it, so that's why it's hard for me to say what my actual diagnostic is. I was just planning to finish the course and then take the proctored prep tests to see where I'm actually at.

I also didn't do the BR because I thought it was supposed to be an exercise for the other prep tests then I saw the syllabus schedule and realized I just screwed the entire order of things meant to aid me. Before I watched all of the explanation videos for the June 2007 test, however, I paused each video (I was in a better state then) worked out the answer then would listen to J.Y.'s explanations. I did apply the BR method to that and got mostly all the questions correct. I wasn't under the same time pressure, of course, but I did try to answer within a certain time constraint.

To answer your next big question, it feels like a rush but at the same time it doesn't feel like a rush. It feels completely natural for me to jump straight into law school because I know I'll have a summer break to recover in-between (sounds kind of lame I know). I find it hard to relax by pacing myself, which is why I have been taking the maximum load of classes I could possibly handle while working.

The LSAT isn't as difficult as I thought only because mostly all of my undergrad courses have somewhat prepared me for some of the skills that are tested. That plus the methodologies taught in this course are the only reasons why I feel like I can achieve a great score given the amount of time I have between now and then to take the test, but I may be completely off and going about this the wrong way. My concern atm is less my GPA and more my LSAT score.
  • 49 karma
    I don't know how to directly reply to everyone through my phone, but thank y'all so much for responding!! Everyone's responses are so helpful, positive, and warming. :,) You all have definitely given me a lot to appreciate and think about. Xoxo <3
    11542 karma
    Everyone is different, Tiffany! We aren't trying to discourage you from jumping 20 points from now until September but we are giving realistic input. Complete the 7sage course and see where you stand after that :) and don't be afraid to give yourself a break after undergrad. If anything that will help prevent burnt out. Ultimately you know yourself best. @"tiffany barragan"
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Only take the LSAT when you have consistently hit your target score. If you haven't done that by September, then pay the fine to re-schedule the test!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    The LSAT shouldn't be rushed. If a prep company says "You should have started studying way sooner!" there's a good chance that they're trying to say "Hey, you effed up. But, don't worry, you can remedy your eff up by taking OUR course." Nice marketing, huh? Not saying the Princeton Review guy was trying to bait you into registering for a Princeton Review course. But, take his statement with a grain of salt.
    You have many options:
    1) Shoot for September and hope for the best.
    2) Postpone and hope that you're ready for December.
    3) Keep your September date, study your butt off, and, if you're not even close to your target score by mid August, withdraw. Don't register until you're ready.

My advice? Go with option 3. Take it from those of us who have spent tons of money registering prior to being ready. It sucks.
    You spent 4 years, give or take, working on your UG GPA. Don't let that go to waste because you feel pressured into taking the LSAT before you're ready.
  • 49 karma
    @montahar @Alejandro Ah, yes that makes soooo much sense!! Thank you both so much for your input omg. I now have a clearer approach with back up options. Much love :-)
  • 49 karma
    @MrSamIam Thank you for your response! I seriously appreciate your advice with options. From what the other comments have suggested, it seems as though option 3 is the most rational option, and I agree with what you said completely. Thanks for the supporting words. xo
    11542 karma
    So glad to hear @"tiffany barragan" And please stay in touch!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Tiffany barragan" Sure thing! Best of luck to you!