Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considerations of UG major in law school admission decision

YesSarahYesSarah Alum Member
How do law schools view "unique" UG majors? I'm coming from a science background (materials engineering to be specific) and I'm wondering if my background will give me an advantage, disadvantage, or not really matter when applying for law schools.

Thanks!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    STEM majors tend to have an advantage when it comes to your GPA if I remember correctly from what @david.busis said in his webinar.
  • YesSarahYesSarah Alum Member
    137 karma
    @montahar GPA isn't a concern at all. Just wondering if it's something I need to explain in my PS.
    11542 karma
    Why do you feel your major is something that is "needed" to be explained in the PS?
  • YesSarahYesSarah Alum Member
    137 karma
    @montahar It's just such a drastic change of career paths. Not sure if they would look at my major and be like "why is she applying?"
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Nope, not important. They will ascertain the "why is she applying" from your personal statement.
    edited July 2016 11542 karma
    Law is so versatile, I can't see your major, especially engineering, posing a disadvantage to your application. No worries.

Edit: there's quite a few people I know of that are in law school with an engineering degree. They tend to practice patent law.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    It's a feather on the scale and requires no explanation.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2016 1650 karma
    Yeah, if anything it can make you more unique. I'll be one of the droves of Political Science majors entering law school *so different*
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7292 karma
    @YesSarah If you're journey to law is really interesting, go ahead and write about it. If you can write a better PS about something else, don't worry about explaining your decision to do law.
    11542 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" ,Poli Sci ay? That'll get the adcomms head spinning. (Coming from a history major lol)
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    @montahar hahah the struggle of those who can't do math
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" @montahar i realized i could do math in graduate school - woops. #ENGLmajor
    11542 karma
    Yoo spot on hahhaha @"Ron Swanson". Math scares the hell out of me.

@BruiserWoods awksss.