Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Importance of Positive Psychology

blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
edited July 2016 in General 3545 karma
Background: I used to be super active on 7sage in 2015 as I was gearing up for the June 2015 LSAT. I took a year long hiatus after I dropped 10 points from my PT average on the June 2015 LSAT and have only recently started studying again.

Today, I finally decided to see what exactly went wrong on the June 2015 test and just finished blind reviewing it (an honest blind review, not like, oh I guessed "D" here so I know that one's wrong so of A, B, C and E, which one is right). Omg guys I'm so mad at myself. If I hadn't second guessed my logic and shed all my good habits (like consistently diagramming the argument core and not getting frightened when my pre-phrase didn't match my the answer choices after the first round), I could have scored 9 FREAKING POINTS better -- that's the difference between my actual 162 and a possible 171.

I just wanted to share this to reiterate how important positive psychology and mindset is on game day (coming from someone who clearly could not stay mentally positive during the test).

Comments

• amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    honestly, i respect you and you're honesty, so so much. the fact that you haven't quit on your dream score bc of a fuck up is really respectable to me and I'm really relieved, that youve done this honest evaluation on your own performance.

i wish you all the best for your next take and can't wait to hear about you scoring your 170+. you were PTing that range, you clearly have it in you :)
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    Iit's hard to get 170s. but anyway good luck@!!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    No looking back now! I'm sure you'll do much better this time around since you understand the importance of having a clear mind for test day which is often undermined.
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    I experience this constantly with my PTs. It's a constant emotional roller coaster. If I am upset because of a recent poor PT and don't change my attitude, I'll start to second guess myself much more on the next PT. I'll actually change my answers during the timed exam only to find out during BR, that I changed my answer choice from the correct one to an horribly incorrect one FOR NO REASON!

On the contrary, when I'm in a more positive mindset, I'll breeze through easy LR questions and Logic Games. It's quite amazing how confidence can do numbers on your result (no pun intended).

With 2 months or so left, I'm working on my attitude just as much as the actual questions.
  • lenelson2lenelson2 Member
    523 karma
    Super encouraging! Thanks for sharing. You will kill it the next time you take:)