Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I still have the adequate time to attempt the December LSAT?

am360am360 Alum Member
edited July 2016 in General 14 karma
Hi there,

I have been thinking of sitting for the Law School Admission Test for quite some time. However, finding the appropriate schedule has always been an issue for me.

Due to some unforeseen circumstances that have come about recently, I have been made aware that I will not be attending University this upcoming year. This will leave me with an abundance of free-time (July-December).

Considering I now have this free (full-time) schedule to dedicate towards this standardized test, would this period of time be adequate for someone attempting a score of 165?

Thank-You all for your time.

P.S - I understand that responses here will be purely hypothetical, and any reasonable estimate/answer will largely depend on other encompassing factors (i.e. Diagnostic scores/Time dedication).

Comments

• Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Have you taken a diagnostic yet? And when do you want to start law school? These will be the major determinants, along with how hard you're willing to work.

I'd say that Decemeber could work given the time you have. Even if you started the 7sage cirriculum today, if you devoted yourself full time to that I'm sure you'd be through it by September. Then you would spend Septemeber-Decemeber taking practice tests.

I suggest taking a diagnostic then reevaluating from there. Even if you're in good shape after the diagnostic, everyone studies/absorbs information differently and you might find you may need to postpone from December to Feb/June
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27866 karma
    That’s going to be tight. It’s doable, but you’re going to have to catch on to things pretty quickly. Take the diagnostic and see how far you have to go. For the amount of time you have and your target score, I’d really want to see a diagnostic score in the mid 150’s.

I say definitely aim for the December test. When the time comes, be honest with yourself and withdraw if you’re not ready. That’s the main thing.
  • am360am360 Alum Member
    14 karma
    Thanks for the detailed responses, Law School is still a long time away (Figured I might as well get it out of the equation, considering all the free time I have).

Sounds like I must get serious and quick, and I'll start by organizing and dividing up the work today. I would most probably be willing to put in approximately 10 hours per-day until this curriculum is accomplished. Anything more than that seems quite unreasonable and detrimental to my mental health and well-being.

As for the diagnostic test, I feel like I would be more secure attempting it prepared rather than blind. Besides this point, from what I can tell it seems as though there's a set amount of these previous tests available, perhaps it maybe counter productive to be wasting precious material considering I will either way be reviewing this course.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Take the diagnostic blind, that's the purpose of it/like you said, don't waste material prepping for a diagnostic
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27866 karma
    @am360 said:
    from what I can tell it seems as though there's a set amount of these previous tests available, perhaps it maybe counter productive to be wasting precious material considering I will either way be reviewing this course.
    This is an excellent mentality, generally. Usually, people way underestimate the value of fresh material, so I love seeing this. The diagnostic is okay though, it’s a bit of an exception.
    @am360 said:
    my mental health and well-being.
    You’ve definitely got to take care of these! Just like athletes have to be in top physical form to perform at their potential, we’ve got to be in top mental form. It’s easy to exhaust ourselves with the mentality that more is better. At a certain point though, more becomes a detriment. So stay fit!

Sounds like you’re approaching this with a really good mentality, which is refreshing. Most of these posts usually result in those of us who’ve been at this for a year or more responding with some version of: "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO!!" You seem to have good instincts though.

And if you plan on signing up for 7Sage, you can save some time on the schedule. You’ll get access to a scheduling feature that will automatically generate a study schedule to match your timeline.

Best of luck!