Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I delay?

181please181please Member
edited July 2016 in Law School Admissions 171 karma
Hey everyone, just signed up for 7sage.

I wanted to post and get opinions of people on this discussion board.

My concern falls into letters of recommendations, I never really connected with my professors and my last two jobs don't write letters (I've asked), luckily I had an employer from years ago that said yes but that means I'm missing one letter. My question is should I email all my professors (I moved across the country so I can't ask in person) and try to get a letter that will most likely be generic or should I delay a year, get a job and ask them for a letter?

Oh and my GPA is below 3.0 and the last 5 PTs I've taken have been 165+ (diag was around 150). Sorry my numbers are estimates I can't recall exactly and I'm not home to check haha.

Thank you!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited July 2016 11542 karma
    I don't think delaying your application over a work LOR is worth it. The main reason for delay should be to improve your LSAT score due to its weight on your application. While LORs are not as important they still hold value and that's mainly because the LOR is written by a professor. Academic letters outweigh work letters by a huge margin, work letters barely hold value to your application as they do not show the adcomms your abilities in academia. Having said that, many people are in the same boat as you when it comes to not connecting with professors so asking for a LOR makes it tough. But since you're not 10+ years out of the undergrad scene, reaching out to your professors should be a little easier. My advice is to email professors whose class you got an A in (preferably upper level classes) explain how you want to attend law school and how a letter from them is greatly needed/appreciated and attach your resume so they can get a glimpse of who you are as a person especially because you haven't really connected before. In any event, I would do this ASAP because the responses are not certain. Hope this helps.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Academic letters outweigh work letters by a huge margin, work letters barely hold value to your application as they do not show the adcomms your abilities in academia.
    I also think it depends on how far out of school you are as well. Can you add some insight @david.busis

From a few of the school admission officers (T-14s and a few T-25s) I have spoke to when you're are 10+ years out of undergrad, work letters hold a greater value, but academic letters are still appreciated. Once you hit the 15+ years out mark it seems work letters are even more important to have. I had two solid academic letters and was advised to get a work one.

@hector.liang a strategy another 7Sager used was to take a summer class, (they had been out of school for a while) with the purpose of getting a recent academic letter. If you have a subject you are really interested in and a community college near by, you might consider that, if you are worried an old professor might not have good things to add. Some have short classes that just run a few weeks, vs an entire semester, so maybe consider that? David had posted in that thread that it was not an unusual practice to do that.
  • 181please181please Member
    edited July 2016 171 karma
    @montaha.rizeq and @stepharizona thank you both. Also, I am still fresh out of school, I'm drafting an email to send to my professors right now, figured can't hurt to try.

And @stepharizona didn't even think about summer school, I'll look into it as well although it may be a bit too late.
    3197 karma
    @hector.liang said:
    And @stepharizona didn't even think about summer school, I'll look into it as well although it may be a bit too late.
    Well summer its too late but a short class this fall might work well.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7293 karma
    @hector.liang Given that you're fresh out of school, I'd try very, very hard to get an academic LOR. Ask your professors if they have time to talk to you on the phone or, if you're in the same city, meet you for coffee.

I agree with @montaha.rizeq that delaying your application for a work LOR is probably not worth it.
    171 karma
    @stepharizona Looked at some possible fall choices last night. @david.busis Emailed a lot of my professors last night. Thanks for all of the help everyone.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    edited July 2016 3788 karma
    @stepharizona Will the strategy of taking a community college course for the sole purpose of a recommendation letter still work even if CC courses taken after undergrad doesnt factor in the lsac gpa? This was a strategy that I strongly considered doing but I was worried that doing this would raise some red flags like: was this student solely taking a class for a rec letter or was he not an active student enough in undergrad to maintain good relationships with professors?
    edited July 2016 11542 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast (strongly disagree with your username - East coast is where it's at lol) I actually had the same sentiment as you regarding taking a CC course...I don't think it's a good idea let alone worth it. I can't wrap my head around spending money to take a course I truly don't need just in hopes of getting a LOR. I don't see the value and would advise against it especially if you're fresh or even a few years out of undergrad. There's other more feasible alternatives.
    3197 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast there was a thread a few months ago where someone posted about this and @david.busis mentioned that its a strategy some people do, especially if they have been out of school for awhile. I will see if I can find it.
    3197 karma
    Found it @westcoastbestcoast
    @david.busis said:
    @LARamsNation Your plan is totally kosher. A lot of admissions officers encourage people in your situation to take another class for the express purpose of getting a fresh rec.
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/43055
    171 karma
    Updating this and seeking more input because of the changes that happened.

So I emailed my professors and only 1 replied back (hmm was I that horrible of a student :/). I had a call with him and things were going well, he still agreed to write the letter but said the letter won't be great because I was just an average student, he said if I had gotten that A+ then he would definitely include the words such as "excellent, amazing, etc" but because I got the B and it's been 2 years since I took his class he can't write a great letter. He said he won't write anything negative in the letter but it will most likely be just a run of the mill letter.

I'm going to assume an awesome world right now in regards to my lsat score/my PS: I get 175+ on my lsats, I have a 2.94 GPA, how bad is this situation, my other letter is a professional LOR. I'm planning to apply to a majority of t-20 schools.
    11542 karma
    Well it's still not fall semester yet so I think it's normal that only 1 professor got back to you @Whenwillmy180show. I'm glad the professor was honest with you, I would still request he writes a LOR for you. It won't be anything spectacular but he did say he will keep it positive so I don't think adcomms will see it as a disadvantage to your app. Keep trying to get in touch with old professors, try going to the department in person. Like previously mentioned, since you're still technically fresh out of undergrad, academic LORs will have the upper hand. Maybe if you have the luxury of taking an extra class it can work in your advantage after all. What do you think?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    @Whenwillmy180show ,

That is quite unfortunate and your professor sounds like an ass, but I get his reasoning . Is there anyway you can contact someone else? Perhaps looks up their office phone number or find a way to get in contact with them.

I just get a really bad feeling about him telling you it won't be a great letter. Good letters of recommendations are the norm, and they don't seem to help much, but rather just a necessary condition of applying. However, on the flip side, "not great letters" can actually hurt from what I understand.

I do think if you have only been out of UG for a short period, you should try to secure an academic LOR, but you should make sure it is someone who can write a good one.
    @Whenwillmy180show said:
    He said he won't write anything negative in the letter but it will most likely be just a run of the mill letter.
    I mean I guess this makes it alright if you have literally no other choice. I just can't get over the fact he said it won't be great. The point of a LOR is to show you are great!

Are there any professors whose class you did well in that know you? If you can get someone to get on the phone with you, they might be more receptive to writing a great letter?
    171 karma
    @montaha.rizeq I agree, I was glad he was honest with me in the case I decide to use his letter at least I know what I am using. Unfortunately I can't ask in person because I moved across the country and won't be heading near my uni anytime soon. And yeah I was considering what was mentioned above and taking a class or two at a CC/delay my app until next cycle, I rather not but if I have to /the best option then it's an optio I'm willing to take.

@"Alex Divine" oh I wouldn't say that, he took a call from me to talk and stayed on longer than planned just to discuss law school and gave me alternative ideas but simply said just based on tangible evidence that's most likely going to be the result of the letter "average letter". Him being truthful about it is definitely him lying then end up writing a shitty letter and then I end up applying thinking he wrote me a great letter haha.

And of course I'd look for a letter to make me sound great but as mentioned other professors haven't replied and my gpa doesn't indicate any "great" moments.
    11542 karma
    @Whenwillmy180show said:
    Unfortunately I can't ask in person because I moved across the country and won't be heading near my uni anytime soon. And yeah I was considering what was mentioned above and taking a class or two at a CC/delay my app until next cycle, I rather not but if I have to /the best option then it's an optio I'm willing to take.
    I've delayed a cycle, I know how it feels lol but in the end I know I'd rather delay than submit an application I know I could have done so much better in (whether its LORs, LSAT etc.) Keep trying to get in touch with professors, if it doesn't work out, then yes enroll in a CC class, maintain a bond with the professor(s), get that A, and pop the question haha...(what is this a proposal?) although LORs aren't the most important aspect of your application, they should never be there to hinder your chance of acceptance...
    171 karma
    @montaha.rizeq My friend who delayed said the same thing. I've studied a lot for the September and feel good for it so I'm going to take the test, see my score then decide on that because at the end of the day if I get a low score I won't get accepted into the schools I want and there will be no point anyways and begin prepping for next year but if I get 175+ then I'm just going to apply and wait haha. It's unfortunate that something like LOR is giving me this much grief but I can't blame anyone but myself.

Thanks for your help!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Whenwillmy180show said:
    oh I wouldn't say that, he took a call from me to talk and stayed on longer than planned just to discuss law school and gave me alternative ideas but simply said just based on tangible evidence that's most likely going to be the result of the letter "average letter". Him being truthful about it is definitely him lying then end up writing a shitty letter and then I end up applying thinking he wrote me a great letter haha.

And of course I'd look for a letter to make me sound great but as mentioned other professors haven't replied and my gpa doesn't indicate any "great" moments.

I hear ya....Him being truthful is definitely a good thing, I agree.
    I still don't like the idea of getting an "average" letter. I also don't like the idea of taking a community college class or something just for a damn LOR. I'd say keep calling, emailing, writing letters to get in touch with old profs. There HAS to be someone you got an A with that will remember you, right? Or did you go to a big state U where there are 500 people in some of your classes like me? Lol.

Don't give up. Just keep emailing and whatever else to get in touch with these people. Even if they don't remember you, a generic good letter sounds preferable then an admittedly average one. Just one man's opinion.