Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diagnostic after finishing curriculum.

Coolmama09Coolmama09 Alum Member
in General 156 karma
Hi everyone. I took my diagnostic finally...and got a 146. However, that is AFTER inishing the curriculum first. It's just an awful feeling. I know it's the first test, but I finished the curriculum first and still only got 146. Do I even have a shot at getting a decent score? *sigh*

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Coolmama09

Hey, I am sorry to hear that you are feeling awful after your first diagnostic, but you have to remember that it is just that; your FIRST diagnostic. Don't get discouraged or feel bad one bit.

First, YES, you have a 100% chance of getting a decent score. It is just going to take some more time and more work to get there.

Did you take a diagnostic before you started the core curriculum? If not, you might have improved and not have anything to compare it to. Conversely, if you did and did not see any improvement after, fear not, because the improvements generally come with PT'ing and Blind reviewing.

At this point you aren't good at pacing yourself or taking full tests. You've only just learned the core fundamentals. Imagine watching hundreds of hours of how to fly a plane. You can learn everything there is to know about flying, but until you have practiced hundreds of hours actually flying you can't expect to get "better" at flying....You know?

Take your diagnostic and do a good blind review. I would see if there are any problem areas/questions where you need some extra work. Watch the videos explanations, and then go back and revise your knowledge on said problem areas. So if the analytics are saying you are missing a lot of Sufficient Assumption and Method of Reasoning Questions, go back and re-watch the lessons on those... Do some problem sets of them, and rinse and repeat.

Also, if you feel like you aren't understanding a lot of the concepts and questions on the test, go back and redo the core curriculum. I know many people who did just that and found it immensely helpful the second time through!

The point is not to give up! After all, it is your first diagnostic!
  • jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited January 2017 1741 karma
    @Coolmama09 said:
    Do I even have a shot at getting a decent score? *sigh*
    >:0 >:0 >:0 NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE YOU DON'T!

Listen, it's hard. It's very hard. You see, you went through the curriculum and learned a whole heap of knowledge about the LSAT which is great! The problem is, you haven't applied it yet! Think of it like this, I can watch football and learn every play in the playbook. The problem is, if I have never played football, I'm still going get demolished by the 6'4" 300 lb linebacker that is the LSAT. I can have all the knowledge in the world in regards to football, but if I don't learn to apply my knowledge, all my knowledge is useless.

The test is learn-able by anyone with the discipline, knowledge, and passion to pursue the score they want.

YOU CAN DO IT! Not by doubting yourself though!

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited August 2016 1741 karma
    @Coolmama09

Check out this thread. https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2895/the-most-important-lsat-prep-decision-you-will-make

@"Alex Divine" said:
    You've only just learned the core fundamentals. Imagine watching hundreds of hours of how to fly a plane. You can learn everything there is to know about flying, but until you have practiced hundreds of hours actually flying you can't expect to get "better" at flying....You know?

This ^
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Yea after the curriculum it's common to still get low scores for a while. You have all these tools now to attack different kinds of questions, and maybe you want to use all of them, but you have to learn how, when and what exactly to use. You also have to learn when to skip, what to pay attention to, and how to do it faster than last time. That is what drilling is for. It could be confusing and frustrating but you're not alone.
    I advise you deeply br this pt and find out why each and every answer choice is right or wrong, and why you got something right or wrong. Then do it all over again with some of pts 35 and down. Don't get hung up on the actual score just find out what you can work on next time using your br score.

You got this.
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    At this point you aren't good at pacing yourself or taking full tests. You've only just learned the core fundamentals. Imagine watching hundreds of hours of how to fly a plane. You can learn everything there is to know about flying, but until you have practiced hundreds of hours actually flying you can't expect to get "better" at flying....You know?
    Great metaphor!!

Here are my own anecdotes to help alleviate some of your stress.

Pre-Curriculum diagnostic: 142

Post Curriculum 1st PT: 146

About 14 PTs and BR sessions later (current standing) :

PT average of about 158 with my last 3 being 155, 158, and 160, respectively.

If I can do it, so can you! I can definitely relate to the stress you are experiencing. The most important thing to remember is that at the end of the day, all will be OK and life will go on. It's only a standardized test after all. I actually enjoy studying for the LSAT now, and I know you can too. Attitude can really start to sway things in your favor. Study hard, study smart, and relax! It will all come together... eventually :P
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Haha you guys are so awesome! Take their advice, OP :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    It really just depends. Tons of people plan for September and wait way too late to start studying. If this applies to you, then no, you won't score well in September. I've been studying for 18 months if that puts it into some perspective. I started out about where you are and now PTing consistently in the mid 170's. If I can do it, you can do it. It just takes lots of time and lots of disciplined study.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2016 2098 karma
    Others answered your question. I just want to add, it takes time for the new concepts to sink in. As long as you put in the time, keep on drilling and fool proof the bundle, you will see the improvement.