Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will I succeed at Law School?

DinnerAtSixDinnerAtSix Member
in General 86 karma
Y'all,

I'm being super-efficient at procrastinating right now, and am wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding how successful introverted/quiet personality types would be at law school. I am an abysmal public speaker (working on it, but still really bad!), and have a mild stutter that always makes its unwelcome presence known whenever I'm stressed, angry or tired. Would I succeed at law school, or would every day be an uphill battle?

Thanks in advance, fam!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Funny you asked this because I was thinking the same not too long ago and wanted everyone's input. People are under the impression a lawyer has to be this outspoken extrovert and will just be defending client after client in the courtroom and I'm confident that's not the bulk of what an attorney does. I've read on TLS that law schools are full of introverts and they tend to do very well which makes sense to me. Introverts are usually good at analysis and writing, two essential components for law school. I think you'll be fine! I myself am considered an introvert (although I'm 50/50 with the other half being extrovert lol) and get nervous speaking in front of crowds, but that's not going to stop me for pursuing my dreams and neither should you allow this to stop you :)
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I have no experience with law school but I imagine like most things in life there are a wide variety of people who succeed. That doesn't mean you will be great at every individual part but "success" come in many flavors, textures, and varieties. I would be more worried about the procrastinating (because I also am a procrastinator at times). :)
    11542 karma
    @desire2learn said:
    I would be more worried about the procrastinating
    Preach lol
  • DinnerAtSixDinnerAtSix Member
    86 karma
    @montaha.rizeq @desire2learn
    Thank you so much! That is really encouraging!
    11542 karma
    @DinnerAtSix said:
    Thank you so much! That is really encouraging!
    Glad to see that fam :D
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    My law school, like others, has all types of people and personalities and there are, of course, many different types of lawyers. Like anything, you'll find some jobs that are better suited for extroverts and some better for introverts. I wouldn't worry at all. It sounds like you are careful and thoughtful person - great characteristics for a lawyer or person.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @DinnerAtSix said:
    wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding how successful introverted/quiet personality types would be at law school.
    My experience from having a few friends in law school is that like everyone said, there are all types. Personality types such as extrovert/introvert isn't going to be the determining factor of how well you do in law school; tests will be. So I wouldn't worry too much about being an introvert. God knows I am an introvert! Not necessarily a bad thing at all.

Public speaking, the greatest fear of mankind. Studies show people are more afraid of public speaking than death. And I was no exception, but like anything else it comes with practice. I forced myself to do it a bunch and now it's not a big deal. I gave my commencement speech at my graduation and stuttered a bunch from nervousness in front of a few thousand people. (If you want to see how bad, message me and I'll send you a link, lol) You are not alone in your fears here though. I don't think it will pose the biggest problem in law school, but I know it isn't unheard of to be cold called and have to answer questions in front of the class. So maybe just prepare for it. But again, I'm truly a believer that it is something that comes with practice.

Sounds like you are self aware and that is an important characteristic to have for law school. Know thy self! I bet you'll do fine :)

@desire2learn said:
    I would be more worried about the procrastinating (because I also am a procrastinator at times). :)
    Lol. Ain't that the truth!
  • hazelnut13hazelnut13 Alum Member
    244 karma
    I too thought that a lawyer had to be aggressive, loud and extroverted. But I will agree with everyone on here in that there are all different types of personalities in the legal field.

I work at a law firm now and there are definitely a variety of personalities among practicing attorneys (even among litigators, which are thought of as the typical aggressive, non apologetic, my-way-or-the-highway kind of lawyers).

I wouldn't worry too much about your introverted tendencies (a lot of us are introverts). I would embrace it!
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    If you want to see how bad, message me and I'll send you a link, lol)
    LMAO I love how you're not afraid to show yourself in not so ideal situations
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Lmao! Yeah, pubic speaking can be a hard fear to get over. And even "getting over it" doesn't ensure you won't speak with a really un-natural cadence and sound like an idiot, lol.