Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I need a new LoR?

Rachel YoonRachel Yoon Member
edited September 2016 in Law School Admissions 173 karma
Hello! I studied LSAT 3 years ago, then I thought it was premature, so I went to a grad school.
I took 2013,December LSAT and at the time I received two LoRs from my undergrad professors, didn't apply. They are still in my LSAC account.

Now I am taking September LSAT. Do I need a new LoR to apply for 2017 or can I just use those ones I already have?

Thank you guys in advance!
Good luck for everyone!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    You don't need new ones.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Alum Member
    1762 karma
    Nope=)
  • Rachel YoonRachel Yoon Member
    173 karma
    @montaha.rizeq @nanchito Thanks a lot guys! :D
    11542 karma
    Welcome!
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7293 karma
    Although you don't need new letters, it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask your professors to update their letters. It's not a heavy lift for the recommenders—they'd only need to tweak a few sentences, or even a few words—and it would look a bit better.
  • I just emailed a law school admissions office about this exact same thing! They said that they understand some students have been out of school for a few years and that professors may have previously written LORs for law school. I would recommend contacting the admissions offices of the law schools you're interested in, though, just to make sure.
  • Rachel YoonRachel Yoon Member
    173 karma
    @david.busis @"Lauren L" seems like a good idea. Thank you :)
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    do american students apply via lsac? i am so confused because as a canadian who wants to get into a school in ontario we use OLSAS. I am wondering if OLSAS keeps LoR on file for an extended period of time
    11542 karma
    @"Nina_Lucas" said:
    do american students apply via lsac?
    Yes, and that's a good question about OLSAS. I'd assume it has the same requirements as LSAC but call in to double check. @nader.parham didn't you say you're applying to a Canadian school? maybe you can shed some light on this?
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @montaha.rizeq @Nina_Lucas I am sorry, I am not aware of OLSAS procedure but (I think) they might keep them for one year. I would be much better to contact them. Sorry I could not be of much help.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @nader.parham thanks anyway! I will call them tomorrow. :)
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @Nina_Lucas Does this mean our LoR's might still be on LSAC's file?
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @Nina_Lucas LSAC is where we MUST register an account to write the LSAT, so I think they share some information with OLSAS.... Hmm...
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    If you can get LSAC to share LoRs with OLSAS, consider going into international relations instead of law :)
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @david.busis This advice is golden. A few months ago I had lunch with a professor who wrote one of my LORs. After a brief law-school related conversation, he asked if I was still starting in 2016. When I told him that I would be starting in 2017, he told me not to submit his initial LOR and to have LSAC send him another LOR request. It turns out that in the letter, he mentioned that I will be starting in 2016. Some of your recommenders may have done the same.