Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attacking the high priority LR questions!

I've been studying since February and have recently managed to get into the missing 0-2 category for RC and for LG. Those sections make sense to me and I feel confidant in them. Despite my best efforts in LR, I keep missing the hard ones! I'm typically missing anywhere from 6-10 questions. My timing has gotten pretty good, I usually have a minute left or finish with just enough time. I need to amp up my study of these difficult stimulus passages for the next two weeks. . . . or I need to just keep taking tests and blind review every single LR question despite my confidence? Looking for suggestions, commiseration, different ways of thinking about this. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27878 karma
    Don't BR despite your confidence. This close to time, under confidence errors are probably worse than over confidence. You've got to let yourself be confident as often as the confidence is warranted. If anything, push your confidence further and see how far you can go before you start making over confidence errors.

At this point, you're pretty much set, but you might benefit from pulling up analytics and working back through sets of questions that gave you problems. Work them until you really see right through them.
  • Thanks for the advice! So I'll just blind review circled questions and during testing, I'll try to be more confidant? I see through many of the questions I've missed, and it's usually a question of misreading a complicated stimulus or not thinking about the argument parts correctly.
    27878 karma
    Yep, that's how you want to BR. And yeah, see if you can maybe push your confidence level up a notch. This close to time, I wouldn't deviate too much from what you've been doing though. You don't have time to make major adjustments to your strategies, but allowing yourself a little more confidence on certain questions could probably be healthy at this point, especially if it turns out you're getting many of your circled questions right.
  • Thanks! That's terrific advice. I've not followed my instincts several times and missed questions. I labelled my "instinct" questions this time around out of curiosity and am about to score. When I was stuck I just followed my gut and moved on. It was very freeing! I finally am able to let go of some of those tough questions and not ruminate about them at the expense of precious time.
    27878 karma
    That sounds great @hannahwrendunning ! I hope the extra time allowed you to pick up a few extra points!
  • rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma
    im exactly like you after tutoring and studying, now im -8-10 in the LR sections. im trying ti figure out how to tackle those
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I agree with @"Cant Get Right" that this close to time you are not going to be able to change a lot. If you have a longer period to improve I would say work on the Skipping Strategy more and then repetition overall combined with even more repetition on your weaknesses (by question type).
  • I went with my instinct a lot when taking practice tests and taking the test this weekend, and I got about -4 every time which is a great improvement!!! Thank you so much for the advice. I realized, after paying a little more attention to analytics, that I was actually getting a lot the hard questions correct and was just misinterpreting the "priority" section as an indicator of difficulty (when I'm pretty sure it has to do with the priority for study/review?)
    27878 karma
    @hannahwrendunning That's a huge improvement! Glad you were able to make the adjustment and execute on test day!