Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anybody get 170?

KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
in General 984 karma
Hi guys,
So i decided to study until i average 170 on lsat. Do you think anybody can do this with hard work and dedication? Or do you believe some people are not made to hit 170?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma
    Ahh, this is a tough question. First, as the LSAT teaches us, "anybody" is a universal term. Meaning 100% of the group of "bodies." Or "anyone." I don't think strictly speaking that anyone can get a 170 because of factors such as work commitments, problems with dedicating enough time to studying, burnout, etc.

Someone else can correct me but I remember in the opening pages of the LSAT Trainer Mike Kim actually writes that with enough hard work and familiarization, a smart 8th grader can indeed get an amazing score. Meaning that there is no magic to the test.

With those 2 caveats in place, I do think that anyone who puts in enough quality time into studying can achieve a great score. I don't think people actually "max out" their natural ability, but rather only the abilities they can acquire within a certain time constraint.

I think that if you give someone enough quality time and their questions get answered and every day they get an inch or two better, they can break 170.

Finally, we have to remember when this exam is supposed to be taken. The LSAT is supposed to be taken either after completing a Bachelor's degree or towards the end of completing that degree, because the credits from the degree are the other part of what you apply to law school with. The general calculus here is that if you can complete a degree, you have the necessary skills to tackle this exam in place (reading comprehension etc.)

• S.P. 170S.P. 170 Alum Member
    188 karma
    There are some people who are unable to pass public high school courses, let alone achieve a 170 on the lsat. Everybody is different. I don't think there's much point in dwelling on what other people can or can't do.

For you: there's only one way to find out.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"S.P. 170" said:
    There are some people who are unable to pass public high school courses, let alone achieve a 170 on the lsat. Everybody is different. I don't think there's much point in dwelling on what other people can or can't do.

For you: there's only one way to find out.
    Both posts above are spot on. There is a great thread over on TLS that debated the merits of this. From a statistical standpoint, the answer is no. Not everyone can score in the 98%-tile. The test is literally designed so that not everyone can get a 170.

That said, I understand your question to be less mathematical/literal and more metaphysical. I just think you are phrasing the question wrong.

Can YOU get a 170?

To that question the answer is a resounding YES!

What is going to stop you if you study until you are there? The amount of hard work and dedication towards the LSAT is what is going to matter most. In my opinion, talent for this test is overrated.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Can YOU get a 170?

To that question the answer is a resounding YES!
    Yes.

While not everyone will get a 170, I do believe that the threshold of intelligence needed to get there is way lower than most people think. This test probably doesn't do a great job of telling law schools who the smartest candidates are, but it does tell them which ones can do whatever it takes to achieve their goals. Who do you think they'd rather have anyway? There's no question for me. I'd greatly the prefer the person who had to scratch and claw for every point to barely break into the 170's. Honestly, I'd prefer her to the guy that 180'd it after two months. Sure, that dude's a genius, but believe it or not, genius IQ level doesn't actually seem to have that strong a correlation to success. I'm not aware of any studies that suggest that hard work does correlate to success, but I'd bet my left pancreas that it does. So if you want to break 170, you can do it, but you're going to have to earn it. It's a long painful process, and we are constantly pushed towards the path of least resistance. It takes unrelentingly strict self discipline to stay on track, but it is certainly not impossible.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Well said @"Cant Get Right", well said. Nobody is saying that anyone can get it with a little prep, some people might have to work way harder than others. But I agree that with perseverance, dedication, and quality studying it is achievable for you @Kateryna
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Another statement by @"Cant Get Right" that I need to plaster on a shirt. Thanks Josh. Really encouraging.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Another statement by @"Cant Get Right" that I need to plaster on a shirt. Thanks Josh. Really encouraging.
    @"Cant Get Right" always gets me amped up and believing in myself! I love it!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I believe it is doable for just about everyone, excluding dramatic outliers, particular exceptions, et cetera. Learning for the LSAT is like learning a new language, and as far as I know, is different than any other standardized test. One's score on the SAT, ACT, MCAT, GRE, or any other test ever taken is thus all but entirely useless in predicting your aptitude for the LSAT.

BR scores will be a good way to gauge your abilities. As you progress through your studies, your BR will more and more reveal your potential.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    @danielznelson said:
    . One's score on the SAT, ACT, MCAT, GRE, or any other test ever taken is thus all but entirely useless in predicting your aptitude for the LSAT.

Nothing is more true that this. Have taken both the ACT and GMAT. Did really well on both. LSAT is kicking my ass.
  • leejayleeleejaylee Alum Member
    edited September 2016 218 karma
    Aim for the best you can be. Sure 170 is possible. Would human intelligence help? Of course it would. Some individuals think differently and the way the test is created.

But why stop at 170? Assuming you're just starting off, you will end up figuring out your strengths and weaknesses at approaching the LSAT.

Aim for the moon and even if you miss, you'll land among the stars (one of my favourite cliche quotes haha).

Everyone, and I mean, every single individual has their own path to success OR failure in writing the LSAT. If the test was that simple, every one who wants to be a lawyer would be at law school.

Work hard, study hard, play hard, and most importantly know when to relax. Never forget to give some time to yourself. LSAT is not about memorization but a habit. A LIFESTYLE (haha).

Good luck!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2016 4181 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    Nothing is more true that this. Have taken both the ACT and GMAT. Did really well on both. LSAT is kicking my ass.
    And off of this, I did well on the SAT, slightly less so on the ACT, and just slightly above average on the GRE (was required to take it for a undergraduate course). Moreover, my diagnostic score was just below average, and I've managed to increase my score by over twenty points, on average.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    WOW! Daniel! That's freaking fantastic. I only hope to emulate this kind of performance.
  • KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma
    Thank you for the input everybody @"Alex Divine" @leejaylee @danielznelson ! I am done with curriculum, which helped me increase my score by 11-12 points on average. I am still far from my top score, and as we all know the closer you get to goal the harder it gets to achieve it. At this point I am not really sure how to proceed. As many people stated, I should drill Cambridge bundle. But what are Cambridge drills? Also, I need to focus more on logic games.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    @leejaylee said:
    Aim for the moon and even if you miss, you'll land among the stars (one of my favourite cliche quotes haha).
    This is one of my favorite cliche quotes too! I use it all the time! One of my elementary school teachers had this hanging up in her classroom and I still remember it because even then, I was like WTF!?