Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT going digital soon?

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
in General 27823 karma
So my proctor today said that LSAC had informed her that LSAT was going digital for the next June test. Said it could possibly be on a tablet. Also said they might allow a paper option for anyone who'd taken a previous paper test.

So, there's that.

Comments

• CalPoliSciCalPoliSci Member
    236 karma
    I wish they had done that sooner. Does this mean scores will be known instantly, like the GRE and GMAT?
  • LibertyKokoLibertyKoko Member
    61 karma
    I feel like there would be some serious complications with tablets. Some people might prefer to read on paper and I could see where you could accidentally click on the wrong answer
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    That's all she said, so not sure.
  • jayc1993jayc1993 Member
    96 karma
    this would make the diagramming process for the LG section much, much more difficult. Looking back and forth from paper to the computer screen when diagramming (assuming you can even use paper to diagram if the test was computerized) is only one of the problems i anticipate.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    Also, my survey question on my answer sheet asked if we had experience using tablets/phones/computers. Seems like it's likely eventually
    27823 karma
    I think it's totally inevitable: It's cheaper, lol. My surprise is more at the timeline.
  • Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
    edited September 2016 442 karma
    Nooo...I don't like it...I prefer paper ver :(
  • 181please181please Member
    171 karma
    Well this sucks for me. I couldn't even use e-books in college and now I have to take the lsat on a tablet (possibly). Thanks for the heads up, I'll start practicing using my iPad once in a while until I can find some sort of confirmation/information.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Wow so my discussion thread is seemingly true.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    that would be big news. I took drill on paper before. but recently, I do LR drills on core course.
    11542 karma
    @bjphillips5 said:
    Also, my survey question on my answer sheet asked if we had experience using tablets/phones/computers. Seems like it's likely eventually
    Yup. That was on mine for the Feb 2016 lsat. sigh.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    It is about time, every other major test for the most part has transitioned
  • Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma
    Well if they do make the transition, they better allow us to use scrap papers AND to annotate on the tablets!!!! How are we going to do RC without being able to box and circle on the passages.
  • pmathur2016pmathur2016 Alum Member
    32 karma
    Do you think they would change the format of the test itself at all?
  • beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma
    This would really stink! I've used my tablet to do a few PT's and it was so awkward, especially when trying to erase or cross out.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    If memory serves, i think there was an optional survey that asked how often and how proficient you r in usinf touch screen on the answer sheet
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Holy crap! @westcoastbestcoast You're right! I wondered why the had that question but didn't think too much of it.
  • beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma
    interesting, i didn't have any survey on my answer sheet.
    27823 karma
    @beth.flanders said:
    interesting, i didn't have any survey on my answer sheet.
    Yeah, I didn't either. Proctor asked us if we had the ones asking about that, so she was aware that they were asking.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    OMG!!! This is insane! I have actually been thinking of getting an ipad pro with their new pencil and practicing on that. It basically acts like paper and pencil. It's kind of why I love notability to do BR, you can write anywhere on it, and it saves it for you. So later if you want to ever come back and look at the quesiton, you can see your thought process and notes to help you along. Without all the printing and stuff.

But I have refrained from doing in on ipad pro because I know LSAT is on paper and I wanted to make sure that I practice it how I would do it real time test. But now I am wondering if I should invest in ipad pro...

are we sure its not going to be this december test where they are going to introduce Ipad?
    10774 karma
    http://www.lsac.org/flipbooks/biennialreport2016/index.html#34/z

So I read the biennial report on LSAC's website. We are definitely going to move towards a digital platform. Apparently the test group said it was a positive experience for them to do it on a computer. And in another meeting they were talking about the board members also trying the computer one and seeing how the students would feel.

So we are definitely heading there, if not already there.
    27823 karma
    @Motivated , thanks for the link, that provides a lot of clarity.

My Logic-Spidey Senses did start going off at this though:
    The test-taker interface was shown to over 100 potential test takers, with largely positive reaction.
    Inadequate sample size!

"Largely positive" ambiguous to the point of being meaningless!
    10774 karma
    lol @Cant get right. I am really hoping that they are doing more testing than just 100 potential test takers.

Also, have these test takers taken it on paper and what were their scores. We can all say yes I had a good time, doesn't mean it translated to a better test.

Are they assuming a positive experience is indicative of a better way to test? What if these two things are not related. What if being more interactive with the test like that of paper and pencil, which although doesn't feel good, is a better way to test.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    But wait, aren't they afraid someone will screenshot the test and distribute digital copies? I joke, I joke.
    Can't stand digital tests...I don't understand how anyone could stare at a computer screen for longer than a few minutes and not feel like their eyes are on fire.
  • Swift777Swift777 Member
    edited September 2016 83 karma
    I think eliminating the paper answer sheet and showing the time remaining within a test section could be positive, as the report indicates in their sample tests. That could save time bubbling and allow you more control of your pacing.

However, my concern is that notating on LR & LG, as well as referring back and forth to the RC Passage for questions on the second page could be a challenge for some people. Moreover, the difficulty of simulating test day conditions is an issue for me. I think this may push me to write my test earlier than I would have liked...
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Swift777 said:
    I think this may push me to write my test earlier than I would have liked...
    Same... I might aim for Feb if this is coming in June. I have no problem with the test transitioning to a new digital format. Actually, I think i might have preferred it if I had not been prepping and preparing to take on paper.

• jowens7317jowens7317 Alum Member
    244 karma
    Talk about some eye strain and some -10 LG/RC sections
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Yea, this isnt gonna work for me.
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    So my proctor today said that LSAC had informed her that LSAT was going digital for the next June test.
    I just called LSAC and the lady said the fact that the proctor gave a specific date is incorrect and they're administrating LSAT on paper and pencil until further notice. Lol not going to lie I pretty much expected to hear that but with LSAC who knows what they'll do last minute especially after I saw what they've done to accommodated test takers. I guess I'll continue drilling and (when time comes) PTing on pencil and paper. I don't own a tablet nor do I have the desire to own one because I feel super awkward doing work on them.