Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Keep a Positive MindSet

LSATShinobiLSATShinobi Free Trial Member
in General 236 karma
Hello all, I hope September went well for all the LSAT test takers out there. I have been having a bit of a "mindset" issue lately if you will. As for everybody, studying for the LSAT is accompanied by highs and lows within the study process. I have been pretty good at keeping a positive mindset but lately whenever I think of the big picture as a whole and where I want to be and where I am at now I start to question whether I have what it takes and if I really CAN pull it off and I guess my question is how do you guys keep a positive mindset? I find it a lot easier to study when I am positive but lately it's been pretty easy to doubt myself and if I can even make it. Any tips or suggestions would really be appreciated. Anything at all.

Comments

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Yea I feel you. When those thoughts happen to me, I don't even want to hear them. Dont think of how far you have to go, think of how far you've come. Surround yourself with people who love you.

Take baby steps, you can do this.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma
    Yeah, dealing with this is actually a big part of the test. Pretty universal, so we're all right there with you on this. The LSAT makes you feel dumb, it makes you feel incapable and inferior and unworthy. Managing and overcoming these feelings is really important, and I've always considered it an important part of the actual test itself. Law schools want people who can manage the emotional stress that the LSAT creates and which law school will certainly take far beyond the LSAT. This test gives them a reasonable metric for that. So stay strong and when you're dealing with this, do so with the understanding that you are being tested. Your results will dictate how far you can go, so let that inform your idea of what you're capable of, not the other way around. You can do this.
  • ToxoplasmosisToxoplasmosis Alum Member
    233 karma
    Second everything said above. I also ended up keeping my diagnostic for whatever reason. Whenever I am feeling down I can take a look at that test, see the -16 I got on games and the low 150's score and suddenly everything is put in perspective. The LSAT is a largely unrewarding grind, but if you can try to see the forest through the trees, all the work we are putting into this test is going to payoff. Best of luck and congrats on the major strides that I'm sure you too have made.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Is this the Alberto I've seen on BR calls? If not, definitely give them a go. I'm not one to do what many people call "socializing," but I eventually realized it was all but necessary to doing well during prep and staying positive (and perhaps most importantly, not becoming overly obsessed with prep-test scores).

Off of this, take a break if you're nonstop obsessing over your scores, your apparent lack of success, et cetera. I had to do this after decreases in my score, and my word did it help me.

Don't give up on your goals. If you believe they're reasonable, and if more importantly, your progress and/or scores have shown it to be, keep them. I myself felt required many times to lower my expectations, and I could not have been more wrong. And honestly, there's no point in doing so, save avoiding not meeting your expectations. Obviously, that isn't a good enough excuse.

Finally, the fact your mindset if obviously off is likely reason enough for your lower performances. Again, if you're obsessing, take a much-needed break. It'll do you wonders.
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    Just say no to self-sabotage:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mandy-leonardo/how-to-overcome-selfsabot_b_10641530.html

I think to a certain extent we can all relate to ways we self-sabotage. We let uncertainty and self-doubt take over and that can interrupt our momentum or derail it entirely. Acknowledging that it's something you're doing can help you talk yourself out of it, too. Identifying my actions as self-sabotage has helped me overcome any barrier I'm imposing on myself to get through to the next step. Instead of focusing on all of the many challenges and barriers, think about the self-fulfillment and pride you'll have in yourself once these struggles are a thing of the past. You'll be grateful to have challenged yourself and demonstrate that you actually CAN get it done. Best of luck to you! You'll be fine. =)
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    edited September 2016 822 karma
    Hi @Albertoduro1xx !

We've all been there, believe me! I took the 2015 December LSAT and was in a HORRIBLE mindset! Just the worst you could be in!

I've pressed the "reset button" on my negative mindset, and only have space for positivity at this point. Here's how I keep myself motivated:

I'm shooting for this December LSAT. I'm still scoring way below my goal score, which can be very discouraging, but I look at it like this: Didn't get the score I want? Ok, cool, that just means I have so much room for improvement! Learn from your mistakes and move on. No reason do dwell in negativity. You don't need that! Look at this from the most positive aspect possible.
    I "reward" myself after good PT's or after intense BR sessions. I either reward myself with Starbucks treats, or I allow myself to indulge in one episode of whatever TV show I like best at the end of the day when I'm done studying. MAYBE a glass of wine (if I did really well :) ).

Also, I don't know what your situation is like, but if you have a goal school, go visit it!! Visiting law schools is so inspiring and motivating! I finally found the school I want to go to, and I bought a hoodie and t-shirt from the school that I like to wear while I'm studying. I find it SUPER motivating when I wear it and I get excited at the thought of going to that school and finally start my law school journey there.
    I get excited about the thought of moving to a new city, meeting new people, getting to reinvent myself and start this new, exciting chapter of my life.

I meditate about 5-10 minutes before I take a PT, and that really helps with my focus right before and puts me in a calm mindset. I personally think practicing mindfulness in general is a great way to stay positive and keeps yourself grounded.
    Also, this may be kind of stupid, but it works for me: Before I take a PT, BR, or drill or whatever LSAT related I'm doing I repeat to myself the following things:
    - You are smart. You are confident. You can do this because you want this so bad, and you deserve it because you are a hard worker. Now go kick some ass, cause you a bad bitch.
  • MsM1998_MsM1998_ Alum Member
    edited September 2016 117 karma
    @Albertoduro1xx I didn't read much of the other replies, but here's what I can tell you. A lot of the times, especially growing up, we feel that there is some natural talent and capabilities that people inherently have that allow them to accomplish great things. "Oh he's just naturally smart", "She never has to study she just naturally understands everything so well". Maybe not to this exact extent, but you get the idea.

Here's the truth, as corny as it may sound. You are truly capable of achieving anything you want. Now this is definitely not easy, but it doesn't require you to "have what it takes". Hard work and overcoming adversity triumphs each time. You know the saying, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard? It's certainly true.

Don't question your character, or what is inherent about you. Do be critical of your studying process, how much work you put into preparing, whether you went in confident with yourself and the knowledge and skill you accumulated throughout the studying process. At the end of the day, if you know you put the hard work into it, then there is nothing else to worry about. You may have doubts about your preparation, but do not doubt your character or your own ability to achieve what it is you're set to accomplish. Believe in the process. If it just so happens that you don't get a good score, don't doubt yourself. Doubt your strategies and the amount of work you put into writing that test. Perhaps there's need for improvement in the way you study, perhaps you just didn't devote enough time. Nonetheless, do not doubt your capabilities. I don't believe in talent, neither should you. Work hard, insanely hard. You'll achieve it. Best of luck to you.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    The LSAT makes you feel dumb, it makes you feel incapable and inferior and unworthy. Managing and overcoming these feelings is really important, and I've always considered it an important part of the actual test itself. Law schools want people who can manage the emotional stress that the LSAT creates and which law school will certainly take far beyond the LSAT. This test gives them a reasonable metric for that. So stay strong and when you're dealing with this, do so with the understanding that you are being tested. Your results will dictate how far you can go, so let that inform your idea of what you're capable of, not the other way around. You can do this.
    My mindset is positive because I believe in myself and you should believe in yourself. Think about all of things you accomplished in your life thus far that at first seemed impossible. I think back to all the hard classes I took in college and eventually worked hard and got As in. I think of when I first started my job and how hard and impossible it seemed. Now I'm doing great!

I basically internalized all the great things @Cantgetright said above me early on. when I took my first diagnostic and saw a 151 I nearly cried. How could I be so stupid? My ego was a big enemy to my progress for the first few weeks I studied.

Also, something I take great solace in is the fact that the LSAT is a completely learnable test and favors hard work over talent every time. I start studying for the LSAT about 3 months ago to the day and have made massive improvements. I can't even imagine where I'll be in another 3 months.... And when I take in June 2017 there really is no doubt I can get a 170s score. It's all up to me. I just know if I keep working hard then I got this, and so do you. It is a standardized test and we have all of the tests available to study and dissect.

Something else that makes me feel more positive is it is the last thing in the way of me achieving my next goal of becoming an attorney and attending my dream school. I got the GPA, the LOR, the PS all ready to go.... Just need a sexy LSAT score to match...

• LSATShinobiLSATShinobi Free Trial Member
    236 karma
    Thank you all for your advice. I will definitely keep them in mind I really appreciate it!