Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7sage best use of $

speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
edited October 2016 in General 393 karma
Hey folks,
I could use some help here deciding what to do re: scores, tests, prep $, etc.

I self-studied for the Sept 2016 LSAT. I decided to take it pretty quickly and chose the date as a drop-dead to push myself to committing to law school (vs. continuing to stall.) Using a combo of the Trainer, 7sage free game videos, and the PS Bible for LR, I was PTing ~168-171 on the few tests I took, losing my points in LGs (too slow!) and the curvebuster LRs. I did NOT do the thing where I waited to take the actual LSAT until I had the score I wanted; my PTs had not yet plateaued, I still hadn't cracked the games, and I was continuing to add points in timed sections. I don't think I did that well on the actual test and am debating retaking and if I did I would want to add another tool. I have a splitter GPA for my stretch schools (3.66), am an older student, and can imagine how a higher score could really change my options (although, at the same time, I am still deciding what I actually want.)

I don't have a lot of $ though, especially since for a variety of technicalities I don't qualify for a LSAC fee waiver and am worried about application fees at this point. My gut would be to go with the Starter Course for the Core Curriculum, but I worry that I won't need a lot of it and that because it is mostly the easier drill qs and older tests I will not be getting what I need most. My other option would be to get the LG Bible, buy some more practice tests, and really focus on games and the hardest LR qs self-studying.

I would love to hear from some folks with this profile about which course they decided to take with 7sage (if any at all.) I could figure out how to make some money to at least lessen the blow for getting one of the more expensive courses, and I understand the reasoning behind "$800 now vs. thousands later," but now is also now and baby's gotta eat.

Thoughts? Your time is much appreciated.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I think the starter course is great for someone on a budget, like yourself. The course is the same no matter what course you opt for, although there are amazing extras with the Ultimate courses (more problems sets, explanations, question bank, etc.) But one of the beauties of 7Sage is that you can upgrade at anytime for the difference in the cost of your current course and the one you want.

Also, there are a lot of people who began using 7Sage later in their prep and 7Sage completely changed their approach and got them into the score range they needed. I found that when I began 7Sage I found better ways to do things as opposed to the ways other prep books had taught me. The course on here taught me to be faster at LG with a more clean and simple approach to diagramming games, and more consistent with LR.

I do understand your concern with only getting the easier drills and whatnot, but I honestly don't think you will get much out of PS LGB at this point. It is very basic in what it teaches you and after using it I was still painfully slow at games. It wasn't until I adopted 7Sage's methods that I began to see my LG score get below a -5

Either way, I would still try to get as many PTs as possible. That is something that everyone will agree to invest in.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    Sounds like you're right where I was after the December 2015 test. I'm older and don't have unlimited resources, splitter GPA and dissatisfied with my LSAT performance after attempting to self-study with Powerscore, and thinking about doubling down with the Bibles or else switching to 7Sage.

A year later, 7Sage is the best decision I ever made as far as the LSAT goes (And, unfortunately, as far as many other things in life have gone too, but hey, we've all been there amiright?).

I'd say grab the starter pack. From there, with minimal investment, you can decide to extend, upgrade, or expire at your discretion.

With the starter you get the entire curriculum, and that's really the main thing. Everything else is time, bells, and whistles (which are very useful, not going to lie). You also get Analytics which will process your raw scores into useable data so that you can track, identify, and eliminate your weaknesses. The curriculum does frequently use easier problems to explain different concepts, but this is for the sake of clarity and the explanations themselves are in no way watered down. Even now that I consistently go -0/-1 on LR, I find the explanations in the curriculum to be advanced, concise, enlightening, and fun. Same thing for LG and RC.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I agree with @"Cant Get Right" that TIME is one of the important things you get with the advanced packages. Like @"Alex Divine" said, 7sage is amazing though in letting you upgrade as you go so begin with Starter and make informed decisions from there.
  • speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    393 karma
    You all are the best. On the advice of some other folks, I am choosing to appeal the fee waiver decline - if that happens I'll have a lot more $ options, although I'm not sure if it will. Either way, I am glad to hear the starter was helpful in this way. I still have to decide if I'm going to retake or not but it is looking like yes and if so, I think this is the way.

Much appreciated!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    Well, I hope it turns out you don't need to retake, but if you do, welcome!
  • OhmylsatOhmylsat Member
    26 karma
    I wonder that I have to finish up bible books by self and then take course in starter?