Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling With Getting In the Groove

burstei6burstei6 Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 138 karma
I took a Testmasters in class course last year and really did like it because of the structure. I scored a 160 on the June 2013 LSAT, 4-5 points below my average but am now looking to really make some gains. The course very was linear and I knew once I had finished the curriculum I would be prepared to take PT's. I am having a really hard time with getting into the groove for this online specific course. I consider myself very disciplined but it seems mentally intimidating for me that I am my own teacher with this style of course and I am really having a hard time getting comfortable with it. I go through the lessons but when it comes time for me to do a problem set, I feel like I have gained nothing from the lesson itself and am rather just doing the problem sets the way I had done them previously. Can anyone share their tips on how they really began to lock in to this type of learning or is struggling with this format normal for a lot of people at first?

Comments

• burstei6burstei6 Alum Member
    138 karma
    Perhaps I just assumed I would be able to pick up where I left off with these kind of intense cognitive thought processes, however I am feeling very lost in this massive jumble of lessons and really cannot seem to solidify a strategy I believe will work for me/trust.
  • lsatcommittedlsatcommitted Alum Member
    166 karma
    have you selected a program? cuz if you have you should have access to the study schedule planner... post your projected test date, and it creates a schedule for you... then, just start at the top..!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    310 karma
    I didn't really read a majority of your post but you should sign up for 7sage

Thats all the discipline you need. All the videos are there and the courses offered here(not sure about the tutoring offered) are affordable. They won't charge you an arm and a leg, and given the affordable price, you'll get a lot more resources than other test prep companies.
  • burstei6burstei6 Alum Member
    138 karma
    I purchased the course about a week ago and have already begun the lessons, what I am saying is that I don't believe I am getting all I can from the program from simply following the lesson plan. Granted I have yet to take a PT since I last took the June 2013 LSAT, I just want to know if anyone has had trouble adjusting to this type of learning style and if it became easier and more clear the more you studied through 7sage.
  • poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    496 karma
    Hey I think I understand where you're coming from. To be honest, I think you need to just jump into-- and really just start going through the lessons and have faith. Have faith that the lessons will help you, have faith that what you're picking up from the lessons will translate to your knowledge and foundation for this test. JY and his staff has structured everything in a way that it will all build upon itself and his videos are pretty entertaining (for what LSAT explanations are) so stay engaged and just go for it. And even if you're not interested in the material-- fake it til you make it, basically trick your brain into wanting to learn about this content and material. I know the schedule seems daunting and there seems to be a ton of material but just remember that it's better to be more prepared than not right? Just take it one step at a time, if it seems too much, play around with the schedule tool and adjust the dates so it's more doable for you. But I'd say make sure you are doing LSAT prep consistently and don't go more than 3 days without touching it. And for me personally, I had aimed to take the September exam but I realized that I wasn't 100% ready for the exam since there was a lot of content to get through and I wasn't being as productive as I should so I finally decided to push to December. When I decided this, I rewatched one of JY's intro lessons where he mentioned that you need more than the conventional 3 months to be prepared for this exam and I really believe that-- reevaluate your goals and timeline and be realistic about everything. Is it feasible? Is it manageable with everything else you have going on? And remember, it's just a test-- this might be a mental block of some sort but you CAN do it. You said you're a pretty disciplined person, so just take it one step at a time so you're not super overwhelmed by it all. Not sure if this completely responds to your concerns/question but hopefully something helped. Best of luck!! We're all in this together :)