Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Controlling Test Day Anxiety:

ChrisN21ChrisN21 Alum Member
edited October 2016 in General 112 karma
December LSAT is around the corner, and it would be nice to hear some tips on controlling test day anxiety!

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    Meditate! It does wonders. Here's what I do, pick a nice silent corner in your house and sit with your eyes closed for 10 mins and increase time as you get comfortable. Do this daily.

Meditate to the silence I know it sounds weird but try it.

Another thing, I gave up on the omg i deserve this score mindset. Really try to enjoy the learning process and let the score follow :) good luck!
  • adam.markinadam.markin Member
    13 karma
    I haven't written the LSAT but here are some things I make sure I do when I'm heading into a stressful exam, meeting, etc.

Keep your schedule! start going to bed and waking up when you will have to wake up for the LSAT so that on test day you feel rested. This will also condition your body to at least try to start falling asleep and often helps mitigate against that "OMG I CANT FALL ASLEEP AND I NEED REST" moment some get before an exam.

Don't do anything strange with your diet. Stick to what you regularly eat to avoid any digestive issues during the exam. I also believe that creating a similar atmosphere internally and externally to what you will face in the exam helps with memory and stress levels.

Look at the exam for what it is. Know that you have prepared for it and that although the questions might be slightly different, you have seen it before in your practice exams. You should have a fairly clear idea of how you are going to do before writing the exam, if you're happy with how you have performed in practice exams, let that comfort you -- YOU ARE READY!

I also have a tendency to feel nervous right up until the moment I start writing an exam. At the point of writing I become focused on what I'm doing. Reminding myself that my nerves will subside once I commence the test helps mitigate my nerves, and strangely enough, knowing that it will only last so long and afterwards I will feel relieve can also help.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Take when you're ready and when you know your score average is built on a solid foundation. I doubt I can properly communicate how important this actually is to both maintaining and boosting your confidence on test day.

Test your mental discipline by PTing in a variety of settings, some with a lot of noise and some with little to none at all. PT with people plainly in your line of sight and with people nowhere to be found. Basically, impose on yourself a mix and match of environments, so you can meaningfully tell yourself you're ready for anything. Moreover, stick to strict time allocations and rules (e.g. no electronics during break).

Find a routine, both for sleeping and for your morning. Eat at least a few times what you will eat for breakfast on test day.

Recognize that you will in all likelihood be nervous or at least amped up for the test. No matter what you do or what you tell yourself, your mind and body will know that test day is a big deal. But if you've prepped well and are confident in your averages, keep a routine, and view the real test as more of proof of your ability rather than a struggle to make it out alive, you should be well off.

• speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    393 karma
    Some further thoughts:
    1) Get the people you love to buy you pencils or an eraser or sign your watch or buy you shoelaces etc, etc. Cheesy yes but then you get to look at your pencils and think about everyone cheering for you who thinks you're the greatest. Obviously make sure these are people who help you feel supported and not pressured. People in your life want to help you achieve your dreams and buying to a present that costs less than a dollar is a great way to do this. I went in with a special earring. It was calming.

2) Leave yourself tons of time on test day. I am a huge believer in this. Get there early. Know how you're going and where. Lay your clothes out the night before. Take care of the executive function-requiring work of your morning so all you have to do is execute.

3) I highly agree with PTing in loud places. I did most of my studying and most of my drilling at cafes and other places with a lot of noise. It meant that the little noises of the LSAT room were totally normal and manageable.

4) I think it is good to develop a little ritual in between sections that involves a physical component. This is something I wish I had done a little better. Brush off your shoulders? Do the same three stretches? Circle your wrists and sing "Eye of the Tiger" in your head? Seriously though. No shame. Do what you need (that doesn't disrupt other people).

5) Related to #1: dress for success! What are the clothes that make you feel like a champ (that are comfy)? Put on dramatic lipstick if that's what feels good. Put on a suit if that feels empowering. This is your moment to do whatever you want that doesn't disrupt other people or break the rules that will help you succeed. No shame in taking the space you need.
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 4141 karma
    Just want to echo @amipp170 MEDITATION....it really helps
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    My thoughts, sorry if I repeat what someone else said: Take a test in a stressful environment. It really helped that I'd had to deal with music in a coffee shop or conversations at the table next door or just blanking on a LG previously. I was a nervous wreck the day of the test, but it helped that I handled panicking or being frustrated during a test before. And I'd echo picking a routine and sticking to it. Don't try anything crazy the night before or day of.

After Michael Phelps' goggles broke during an Olympic Race, his coach insisted that he train with broken goggles plenty of times before the next Olympics. That's what you're trying to do, preparing yourself for anything and everything to go wrong and you'll be okay. :)
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    Just like anything in life, I'm going to go into this test with confidence and truly believe in my heart that I am going to destroy this exam. Don't forget, you get three tries at this time. So if you look at it like a practice test, the pressure is relieved. Just remember, there is always another day. This is just a test, you are not going to die if you don't do well. I am not saying don't take the test seriously but you should take the weight off of your shoulders
  • GoLSATGoGoLSATGo Alum Member
    84 karma
    What really helped me calm my nerves during the morning of the test was that I was listening to music while waiting in line so I could drown out the conversations other people were having. Luckily, I had my cousin drive me and wait with me so I surrendered it to him right before I went into the testing room.

• ChrisN21ChrisN21 Alum Member
    112 karma
    A tremendous amount of insight from each of you. Thank you!
    @amipp170 Not weird one bit. I feel refreshed after meditating!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @ChrisN21 said:
    December LSAT is around the corner, and it would be nice to hear some tips on controlling test day anxiety!

Thanks in advance. :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Performing-Under-Pressure-Science-Matters/dp/0804136726

This book right here changed my life.... Please read it if you are dealing with controlling test anxiety.

Also remember, this is just ink and paper. It cannot hurt you the same way a lion or bear can. I know that might sound flippant or truncated, but if you really internalize those ideas, you will soon realize you can absolutely do well on this test if you've put in the time.

Good luck!

- Signed by a guy who used to have terrible testing anxiety.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    Just an extra thought, working really hard before hand so that you're incredibly confident for test day makes a big difference.
  • ChrisN21ChrisN21 Alum Member
    112 karma
    @"Alex Divine" As always, great advice. Your analogy really sinks in. Purchased the book and will begin tonight during my nightly read.