Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT79 The Virus Game

namegoesherenamegoeshere Member
edited October 2016 in Logic Games 35 karma
I'd like to share my method I used for this game. I thought this game fell into the category of "sounds weird and looks weird, but is actually simple". This seems to be a pattern seen in the 4th game of many 70s.
A very simple way to look at this game would be to think of it as a sequencing game.
Ex. If it says A transferred to B, I would diagram it as A-B
If says A transferred it to 2 other computers, then I would think of the diagram as A connected to exactly 2 lines on the right.

For the rule "S transmitted...", I would have S with exactly ONE letter connected to the right (ie S-__). Also note, I could have something connected to the __ because that wouldn't be connected to S.
For the rule "..to R also .. S", this would be diagrammed as __-R with that same "__" connected as __-S. That should look like __ with 2 things to the right of it (those 2 things being R and S). Now combine this rule with the previous rule about S and your result should look like __ connected to R and connected to S. And S connected to exactly one other thing (don't know what yet).
At this point you might want to think about what could be the first __ that transfers a virus to R and S. Our remaining letters are P,Q,T,U. As for what S will transfer to will also be one of those 4 letters (at this point). Please also remember that each letter can only receive the virus once, meaning there is at most only one letter directly connected to left of a given letter.
Finally, we find out either R or T transmits to Q and either T or U transmits to P. This gives us a lot of information because now we can start to figure out what goes in each blank. By simply placing 1 letter that transfers to both R and S, almost everything else will trigger and fall into place.

I hope this helps simplify the virus game. If you're still a little confused, I can go into more details and break everything down.

Comments

• draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    I'm so disappointed that I didn't get far enough through my panic mode to realize how simple it actually is. I did a semi-blind review and now see clearly. I was just worried on the day of that I misinterpreted the stimulus. Silly me! I am so kicking myself for it! This is a similar thought process I had while reviewing it today.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma
    I can't wait to see this game!
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    My top 5 worst nightmares:

1. Clowns
    2. Snakes
    3. Eileen Grey RC Passage
    4. Computer Virus Logic Game

5. Enclosed Spaces
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Haha, @David3389 it is no surprise at all how thoroughly interested you are in this one. Let's hope you get a circle game in December, by the way!