Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some advice on my chances!

Corban S.Corban S. Member
in General 34 karma
Hi there! Long-time lurker finally posting on the forums for the first time. For what it's worth, I really enjoy the community and how helpful all of you seem to be! So, you're awesome and keep doing you!

I took the LSAT for the first time in September after using 7sage for about 6 months or so. I scored a 157 which is below my diagnostic significantly (168). Games really sunk my ship which didn't surprise me since, when I sat for the test, the games section seemed unusually difficult compared to what I was used to from this course. I'm sure if I prepared longer, I would've performed much better. This course really has been a godsend, though.

At any rate, my target schools are Georgia State, Alabama, University of Mississippi, (I'm from MS, am in college here, and have the connections that would make that a workable option) and UGA. I'm a senior studying Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and I have a 3.72 GPA with work experience in a legal setting as well as a few research laboratories (my field of interest is IP if that's worth anything). I have an enormous amount of faith in my résumé and my letters of recommendation which come from professors, bosses, and mixtures of the two. So, my question is, realistically, what are my chances at these aforementioned schools? I'm currently planning on prepping and sitting again in December, but if this is somehow (ugh) the zenith of my LSAT ability (for this cycle, which I'm adamant about) could I get in? Georgia State and Alabama would be my top 2, the others are all roughly equal in my eyes with a lean towards UofMS simply because of my network.

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you may offer! I assure you I'm open to anything you have to say!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    Hey @"Corban S."

First, I will say I am glad you are retaking. If your diagnostic was a 168, that might be the highest diagnostic I have ever heard of, haha. You're clearly a very smart and talented test taker, so I think you must have just had an off day. You should easily be able to hit the 170s from a 168?

What was your PT average going into the September test?
    @"Corban S." said:
    So, my question is, realistically, what are my chances at these aforementioned schools? I'm currently planning on prepping and sitting again in December, but if this is somehow (ugh) the zenith of my LSAT ability (for this cycle, which I'm adamant about) could I get in? Georgia State and Alabama would be my top 2, the others are all roughly equal in my eyes with a lean towards UofMS simply because of my network.

If for some crazy reason you don't retake, you will have a great chance at being accepted to the schools you mentioned. Your GPA is above all of their 75%tiles and your LSAT (157) is right around their medians.
  • Corban S.Corban S. Member
    34 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Not sure how to tag but I'm going to try! Thanks for your response!

I was pretty surprised with my practice test abilities and equally as horrified by my actual test day results. My diagnostic was 168 and, amongst the other three tests I took, I scored 165, 173, and 172. I'd like to believe that I can replicate these performances on test day since I tried to take all of my PTs in as real of a situation as I could create (timed, in a classroom, etc etc.)

I'm glad to hear I would have a shot at my schools even where I am! That's really relieving and I appreciate all the kind words and encouragement! Let's hope that December treats me a little more kindly!
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    @"Corban S." Read my last discussion I posted. It epitomises just about every single thing I want to say to you.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27878 karma
    @"Corban S." said:
    I'm from MS
    Hey! Where you at Mississippi? I'm outside of Oxford currently, grew up in Jackson, and Hattiesburg is home.

Anyway, you're definitely over the medians on both LSAT and GPA for UM, (I think 157 is the 75% actually) so I'd think you'd be a sure thing there especially if you know people. Alabama and UGA might be a stretch, but I'm sure you can make a lot of improvements on your LSAT between now and app deadlines.

• Corban S.Corban S. Member
    34 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Hi there! I'm currently at MSU but I'm from Jackson as well! Pretty cool to meet another Mississippian!

Thanks for sharing the information :)! I knew I'd get into Ole Miss, so that wasn't too much of a concern. My eyes are really on 'Bama and Georgia State. With intellectual property being my primary interest, I'm particularly interested in my chances with Georgia State since they seem to have a stellar program for IP students. Anyone happen to have the low-down on them??