Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interests on Resume?

always learningalways learning Free Trial Member
in General 99 karma
Should I include interests? What about GPA - since they'll see it anyway?

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Please don't post multiple threads with the same title and content. [You can click the gear on your post, click "edit" and then correct your typos ;)]
  • always learningalways learning Free Trial Member
    99 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" sorry! for some reason the thread wasn't showing up on my computer so I thought it didn't go through
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @"always learning" said:
    sorry! for some reason the thread wasn't showing up on my computer so I thought it didn't go through
    Ah, no worries! I'll delete the other one.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited October 2016 11542 karma
    I don't think you should add either, interests have no merit on a resume and like you said the GPA will be noted regardless. Unless you want to mention something like "Summa Cum Laude" or anything similar, then that's ok I think.
  • dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma
    I don't think it hurts to put your GPA on the resume, especially if you have a higher major GPA than your overall GPA. Interests aren't necessary, but I also don't think it hurts to add some fun factors at the end of the resume. Don't start listing a ton of interests, but something that is unexpected from the rest of your resume could potentially provide another aspect of you that the law school wants to see.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I don't think you should add either, interests have no merit on a resume
    I was actually advised to add not only interests, but travel as well, as it "aids in allowing the admissions committee to see you as a well rounded individual that may be able to contribute unique views based on past experiences to enhance the diversity of the overall class they are putting together"

ANd tons of people put interests on job resumes. As an HR Director it always slightly annoyed me, but a number of managers liked it and I wasn't surprised to hear to include it on a Law School Resume. Of course it is not required, but if it can add some insight, why not. If you pull resume examples for 0Ls from law school you will often see both listed.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    I was actually advised to add not only interests, but travel as well, as it "aids in allowing the admissions committee to see you as a well rounded individual that may be able to contribute unique views based on past experiences to enhance the diversity of the overall class they are putting together"

ANd tons of people put interests on job resumes. As an HR Director it always slightly annoyed me, but a number of managers liked it and I wasn't surprised to hear to include it on a Law School Resume. Of course it is not required, but if it can add some insight, why not. If you pull resume examples for 0Ls from law school you will often see both listed.
    never would have guessed, thanks Steph :)
    99 karma
    @stepharizona what do you think about GPA?
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7317 karma
    Add your GPA if it's good (above the median for your target schools).
    Add a Personal section with some interests if you have room. If nothing else, it gives AOs something to ask you about in an interview.
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    I know David already answered and his is pretty much definitive, but Harvard actually has example resumes that they put up on their site as an example of what they consider good!

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmissions/apply-to-harvard-law-school/the-application-process/application-components/

I am not sure if you are looking at Harvard, but it is good to get the preferences of an actual school. They have examples that include both GPA and Interests.
    99 karma
    @david.busis thanks!
    @Tinyosi1 I'm working off of those lol
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    GPA if it's above median, and I would make space for a line or two of interests but don't go overboard.