Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too many schools on resume

davi2526davi2526 Alum Member
Due to taking some random classes after college, and enrolling in a data analytics program recently at a local community college, I've got a lot of schools to list under the education section of my resume. This sort of sucks, because I would rather use precious resume room on cool extracurriculars.

Right now, I have 3 schools listed - my undergrad institution, the community college I'm in currently enrolled in the data analytics program in, and a third school I took a poli sci class from last year. I was not planning to include this third school, but @david.busis suggested I included it so that it didn't appear like I was hiding anything.

I also studied abroad in undergrad, and a lot of sites suggest including that school to add some personality to your resume. However, that would result in me listing 4 schools, which both seems ridiculous and will take up way too much real estate. I'm leaning towards just omitting the study abroad school, since that won't boost my resume much, and leaving the third school (at which I took the online poli sci class) to avoid any potential harm not fully disclosing that course might cause. Does this seem like the best plan to you all?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I'd personally take the Poli sci class off your resume. After all, it was one class and 4 UG schools does seem like an awful lot. I don't think it would seem like you're necessarily hiding anything, but I think the study abroad school adds a nice soft and the 1 poli sci class won't do much for you on your resume.
  • davi2526davi2526 Alum Member
    66 karma
    Fair enough - the study abroad is a nice touch to add. Thanks for responding to all my questions by the way! I've got a lot - there's so many little things to worry about in these applications.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @davi2526 said:
    Fair enough - the study abroad is a nice touch to add. Thanks for responding to all my questions by the way! I've got a lot - there's so many little things to worry about in these applications.
    I agree! Yeah, apps can be a pain and quite stressful. I'm always happy to help in any way I can.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7292 karma
    Yeah—on second thought, you won't seem like you're hiding anything, as long as you've made the effort to gather all the transcripts.
    66 karma
    Thanks David. I'll make the change then.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @david.busis said:
    Yeah—on second thought, you won't seem like you're hiding anything, as long as you've made the effort to gather all the transcripts.
    Another question on this... which might seem obvious. One Admissions person said I didn't have to include my AA degree, just to list my Masters and B.S.

Should I list my AA too? I have a degree section....

I also have a continuing education section, where I have my Professional Certificates (non graded, no transcript (even though one was through a center at ASU)) and they also had me add my Graduate Certificate (This was graded, does have a transcript, which is in my CAS) to this section? Is this ok.

If not My Degrees go

2013 GMU Graduate Certificate in Educational Technology (21 credits)
    2005 NAU M.ED. Counseling ~ Human Resources Emphasis (36 credits)
    2000 ASU B.S Organizational Communication Minor Business (66 credits)
    1998 AA MCC Honors College Communication (60 credits)

Right now its just

2005 NAU M.ED. Counseling ~ Human Resources Emphasis
    2000 ASU B.S Organizational Communication Minor Business

with the G.C listed with my other important continuing education and professional certificates (Non Profit Management) Each degree has honors listed. Actually I just realized the AA isnt listed at all on my current resume, but I do have some of the honors I received there in the Rewards/Honors Section.

Any tips @david.busis
    7292 karma
    @stepharizona I'd follow their advice. Your Education section is much less scannable when you add the AA and graduate certificate. Put the graduate certificate in your continuing education section, and leave out the AA.
    66 karma
    @david.busis One more resume question (if you don't mind):

I'm listing "Freelance Writer" as one of my post-college activities. I only have 3 publications I want to list, and since having a "publications" section seems like it should be reserved for people with academic publications, I'm just listing freelance writer as one of my two post college activities (other is on the Board of a nonprofit, so it's a good one).

Anyway, do I need to list an overall date range for freelance writing (like 11/2013-present). Or can I just list 3 publications and the dates published/date range I wrote for that publication.

For example, do I need the date on the top line below:

Freelance Writer, Durham, NC 11/2013–present
    • Published X story in Y maagazine - 06/2016
    • Published non-fiction piece "X talked to Y" on coolstorybro.com – 09/2014.
    • Staff Writer for Happy Site Baseball Blog from 11/2013–12/2015.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @david.busis said:
    @stepharizona I'd follow their advice. Your Education section is much less scannable when you add the AA and graduate certificate. Put the graduate certificate in your continuing education section, and leave out the AA.
    Perfect thank you!! It has been a long time since I had reviewed it. I was originally going to apply last cycle, so that explanation rings a bell! Its odd looking at things you really haven't seen in a year and asking why did I do this again?
    7292 karma
    @davi2526 I'd keep the date just for the sake of consistent formatting.
    @stepharizona I hope you can use that distance to improve a few things!
    66 karma
    @david.busis awesome, thanks so much for the help David.