Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Muslim Prayer and LSAT

afelsafaafelsafa Alum Member
in General 164 karma
Hey guys,

I'm Muslim, so I observe the 5 daily prayers. I'm concerned that the LSAT next Saturday will interfere with the midday prayer (Dhuhr), and I can't miss it. The window to pray opens at around 12:15 PM and ends at like 2:00 PM. Do you guys think I'll have time to pray after the exam, assuming it starts at like 9:00 AM, and if not, how would I go about praying during the break? It only takes like 5-7 minutes to pray, but it'll be hard to find a location to pray during the break. Should I just ask one of the proctors to take me somewhere in the building so I don't get in trouble for leaving the vicinity of test area? Has anyone else had a similar concern/experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma
    Hey,

So I googled how long LSAT last and from what I can tell It will end from anytime from 1-2 pm. That being said, you will be cutting close. My parents are muslims, I think I remember one time hearing that there is a way to make up a namaz if you miss it. The only reason I am saying to make it up is because the last thing you want to stress during an LSAT exam is about your prayer. Your focus should be on one thing only. But if that's not acceptable, have you tried calling LSAC and finding out what their procedure is for this?
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Hey Salam, so because this isn't reoccurring, it's permitted to combine this prayer with 'Asr which would be after the exam. :) I've also had this question and asked people of
    knowledge regarding this matter.
    A quick reference can be found in this hadith recorded in Sahih Muslim:
    Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) joined Dhuhr and ‘Asr, and Maghrib and ‘Isha’, in Madeenah when there was no fear and no rain. According to the hadeeth of Wakee’ he said: I said to Ibn ‘Abbaas: Why did he do that? He said: So that his ummah would not be subjected to hardship, i.e., so that they would not face any difficulty. "
    So basically while I suppose you can utilize the 15 min break or sometime in between the exam to pray, it seems to be a better option to do so after the exam. Hope this helps :)
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma
    @montaha.rizeq So glad you answered because I was so limited in my knowledge. :DDD
  • afelsafaafelsafa Alum Member
    164 karma
    Yeah I know of combining the prayers, but that ruling only follows when the person is travelling from his home city/town. I won't be travelling away from my city, so I don't think I can join Dhuhr and 'Asr. But realistically, I think I should be good if I finish before 2.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    edited November 2016 760 karma
    @Sami said:
    So glad you answered because I was so limited in my knowledge. :DDD
    i agree with both! @abmustephan there is no harm in making up the prayer and it's completely understandable!
    11542 karma
    On the contrary, this ruling can be applied for anyone in a circumstance that prevents him or her from performing a prayer due to time conflicts and so long as it's not reoccurring. That's what I learned anyway.
    edited November 2016 164 karma
    To me, it's not completely understandable; realistically, you just have to ask yourself: "what's more important? Salah, or LSAT?" For me, and I would assume for both of you, too, it would be salah. So I don't see it as justifiable to miss Salah, and make it up later in favour of accommodating the LSAT. Rather, I'd try and maneuver around the constraints of the LSAT in order to accommodate salah.

Montaha, I'm cool with this, but we need actual evidence that such a ruling doesn't solely apply to a traveler. I'll look into it and I'll reply on this thread for anyone else in the future.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    edited November 2016 760 karma
    @abmustephan okay let me ask my mother and get back to you on this. She prayers too and i think she'll have the answer to your question!
    edited November 2016 11542 karma
    Yeah I get it. I'm glad salah has a high priority in your life as it does mine too! I've prayed in school and even in fitting rooms when shopping lol so yes I do know what you mean. I want to remind you of this verse in the Qur'an, "اللَّهُ بِكُمُ الْيُسْرَ وَلَا يُرِيدُ بِكُمُ الْعُسْرَ وَلِتُكْمِلُوا الْعِدَّةَ وَلِتُكَبِّرُوا اللَّهَ عَلَىٰ مَا هَدَاكُمْ وَلَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُون"
    "Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful."
    Combining your prayer for this one day to do well on the LSAT isn't comprising your faith, it's understanding that there is a solution when a time conflicts with another legitimate timing. This excuse wouldn't be proper if someone just wants to hangout with their friends or whatever the case is. I've never heard of anyone doing well on the LSAT after missing 5 or 10 minutes of a section; because doing well on the LSAT relies on time. So you just have to know when to be easy and when it's ok to combine a prayer. I would argue this isn't even comprising because it's a permissible act done when there's no other feasible option.

All the best.
    164 karma
    I just hope I can get out before 2, but thanks for everything, I really appreciate it.
    11542 karma
    Haha I think you will be out before 2. I've taken the LSAT twice, both times we ended 1:30 the latest. InshaAllah khair :)