Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement: Too much?

emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
in General 234 karma
For my diversity statement I am thinking of writing about going through a both physically and emotionally abusive relationship for 4 and a half years. I ended things about 3 weeks and its by far one of the most impactful things that has happened in my life. I initially was going to write about how my father left my mother and I when I was in high school and I could also tie the two together but do you think the abusive relationship story is going to be too much? I don't want the readers to think its a sob story and I certainly will frame it in the way that it made me infinitely stronger (and it did) but I just don't know how tense/serious the topics can be for diversity statements.

Comments

• jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    I'm not sure if I am qualified enough to give you a good opinion on this, but I would say that this is probably not something that would apply to a diversity statement?

Did you write you personal statement yet? You could include that in there and build up the narrative about yourself.
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    Def not qualified to give an opinion on this, but subjectively anything more than a passing and somehow relevant mention of hardships sounds like a sob story. I can even imagine being disgusted if, by chance, I had just listened to news about Aleppo or Haiti on the way into work. That is not to belittle your struggles, of course. I'm sure your pain, fear, depression and so forth were very real.
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Member
    423 karma
    I fail to see how any of this would pertain to "diversity" in the law school sense of the word - race, sexuality, religion, gender identification. You have only been out of the relationship for 3 weeks. Hypothetically speaking, if, as a result of your "physically and emotional abusive relationship," you then spawned an organization that helped heal and empower hundreds of domestic violence victims, or wrote a book of profound influence on the subject matter, then maybe you could make an argument for diversity?
  • Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma
    Someone gave me really great advice once about this situation. If it contains anything that you would not feel comfortable with saying out loud to a board professional strangers, then don't put it in your personal statement.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @"Creasey LSAT" said:
    I fail to see how any of this would pertain to "diversity" in the law school sense of the word - race, sexuality, religion, gender identification.
    Pretty much this. While what you mentioned sucks (and I'm sorry that happened - I've been there), I don't think this is something Law Schools will really consider as a diversity statement.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Pretty much this. While what you mentioned sucks (and I'm sorry that happened - I've been there), I don't think this is something Law Schools will really consider as a diversity statement.
    I agree. Though, OP, it might be something you can work into, or base your PS around?
    @bswise2 said:
    Someone gave me really great advice once about this situation. If it contains anything that you would not feel comfortable with saying out loud to a board professional strangers, then don't put it in your personal statement.
    I think this is REALLY great advice!
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    @bswise2 said:
    I definitely agree with this, but do disagree with other posters about it not qualifying as a diversity statement. I've read that you can have a diversity statement about anything that has made you unique or different as an applicant, but I don't know that I would necessarily start back all the way about your dad -- you want to keep this one page, most of it discussing the ways you overcame your hardship and how it has changed you for the better. Just make sure that you show yourself taking responsibility for some things (though I know that things are not that black and white in a domestic violence/abusive relationship) because it will help it sound less like a "sob" story. Focus on the way that your diverse experience has given you a unique perspective on victims of domestic violence?
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    First off, you should be congratulated on your courage and strength to leave the relationship. I am a rookie when it comes to law school stuff, so I can not comment on whether your experience is good for a diversity statement. But. as a long-time physician I would encourage you to think about talking to a counselor or therapist for support and understanding concerning your life decisions and how your upbringing may be interacting with them. Good luck!!
  • SherryS1SherryS1 Member
    477 karma
    Here is an example of one the 7sage edited personal statements that deals with domestic abuse: 7sage.com/personal-statement-before-and-after

As you noted in your post, it seems that the professional advice is to focus primarily on how you changed/grew/matured rather than on the details of any hardship.

Some schools have a very narrow understanding of diversity - sex, gender, race/ethnicity, religion - while others perceive diversity more broadly. The wording on the application should make it clear what sort of diversity the schools you are applying to would like to hear about in that essay.

Wishing you all the best. Good luck!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    It mostly just depends on the moral of the story. If the moral of the story is that you have become a stronger person for having lived through those things, that's a Personal Statement. If the moral of the story is that these experiences give you a unique view of the world that will contribute to the classroom by bringing in a perspective that others are unlikely to possess, then it's a Diversity Statement. Just make sure you're not forcing it; let the moral of the story be what it actually is. Certainly the expectation is that the moral would be more in line with the purposes of the Personal Statement. But if you feel like the lesson really is in how you view the world, I say go for it. Be aware though that you would be defying expectations for that kind of a story, so it would be really important to stay on message.