Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much time off before jumping back in?

dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
in General 617 karma
So I had my first take of the LSAT in December, after studying pretty much every day while working full-time for the 4 months prior. I obviously haven't received my score yet, but I did poorly enough on the logic games that I know I didn't hit my target score (173+), so I decided to delay my applications a year and retake in June. I didn't quite reach the point of full burnout, but I definitely needed some time off. My question: how long do I wait before jumping back into a study schedule?

I can't take the February test because I'm probably going to be traveling for work that month, but I do worry that a full 6 months of dedicated studying on top of what I've already done will lead to severe burnout unless I strategize properly. Any advice?

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    @dantlee14 said:
    how long do I wait before jumping back into a study schedule?
    So in my opinion if you are feeling even a slight bit of burnout, don't study. This is because if you push yourself that way you are simply not being productive with your studies and are wasting precious time and effort which could lead to an exacerbation of the burnout; its a vicious cycle! So I like to see my time off from LSAT as part of my LSAT studies - I need it so I can study at an extreme focus. Which means I end up learning more and I am also happier mentally. Both of which are key to our success.

So in your case don't come back to LSAT till you feel you are ready. If you were nearing 170's in your practice test you are mostly ready for LSAT and its not going to take you that long to get back in shape; you have 6 months : ) Also, I highly suggest when you start studying LSAT again to schedule in little fun breaks. This will help you study well till the June test. I know this is hard because we are not used to scheduling breaks as part of our studies, I really have difficulty with this concept as well, but LSAT is a different test and that's what's required of us.

Good luck!!!! I will be taking the test with you in June as well <3
  • alex.e92alex.e92 Alum Member
    edited December 2016 239 karma
    Hi,

I think we have very similar goals. I postponed in December, delayed a cycle and will also be busy with work after the new year so I am taking in June. I am also aiming for a 173+ and I am worried about burnout since 6 months for a 3-4 point increase seems like a lot. For me, I am completely taking off December. In January I will start to drill my weakest section (games) and try to take 5 timed LG sections per week (older tests) and BR those with a few LR and RC sprinkled in once in awhile to stay sharp. I'll definitely be taking breaks/weekends off, whichever feels right. Then I'll probably go back to full PTs and BR groups sometime in April.

Idk if this is right for you but I think i'm going to give it a shot and then adjust as I go if I start to burn out/discover i'm not improving.

Best of Luck!
  • Will DearbornWill Dearborn Alum Member
    218 karma
    I'll share my experience :-)

We share the exact same goals as I'm also planning on a 173+. I did take in December, but plan to take in June again. I basically took 3-4 weeks off from studying my butt off in the summer and boy does it feel good! It feels like waking up from a very very good night sleep. I did get a little rusty, but I'm easing myself back in by drilling, review, and revisiting core curriculum lessons.

My advice to you is to take whatever time off from this exam that you feel you need. Distract yourself and forget about the LSAT for a little while. For me personally, one week wouldn't have been enough. Two weeks still wouldn't have been enough, it wasn't until week three/four that I started to feel better. But remember, everyone is different! You have to do what's right for you.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Yeah, as said above, everyone is different. I experienced some burnout a month or so back and planned on taking a day or two off. Sadly, when I got back into my studies after a long weekend, I still felt burned out. Eventually, I ended up needing 4 days or so off from studying. You might need more or less - I think a lot of my burnout was work related rather than LSAT. So sometimes in life you just need to chill, stress eat some ice cream, and spend time with loved ones.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I took a lot of 2 day breaks, several week breaks, and a few two week breaks. I'm not sure how to describe how I knew what I needed, but I always knew. And I never atrophied during a break. I actually found that returning from a break was always when I performed my best.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I actually found that returning from a break was always when I performed my best.
    Same! :)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I actually found that returning from a break was always when I performed my best.
    "And that, children, was when I got my first 180." http://data.whicdn.com/images/20246388/large.gif
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    I feel like, if I do end up coming back for a retake, I will feel extremely guilty about taking a break. Though, in reality, I will definitely do it.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    "And that, children, was when I got my first 180."
    Did you get a 180?
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    Did you get a 180?
    Haha, no. That was the man himself, @"Cant Get Right". I just like repeating that line, motivation you know?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2016 27822 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    Did you get a 180?
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Haha, no. That was the man himself, @"Cant Get Right". I just like repeating that line, motivation you know?
    Haha, yeah, that's one of my stories that I sometimes tell to encourage people to take breaks when they need them. I was really burned out, frustrated, and had been plateaued in the high 160's for awhile. So I took a two week break. No LSAT at all, and I got to break all my rules and drink and stay up late if I wanted. To get back started after break I just took a cold PT first thing. 180'd it, and I think I only scored below a 170 once after that.

So take breaks when you need them folks. Breaks is good.