Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS & Resume: PDF or Word?

in General 224 karma
What do admissions committees prefer? For your PS and resume to be submitted in word format or as a PDF?

I know I am obsessing over small details at this point, but with my LSAT score I need everything else to be flawless!

Comments

• DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    PDF
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    word
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    It really doesn't matter. They'll get it as a PDF either way (whether you submit as Word or PDF).
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @bjphillips5 said:
    It really doesn't matter. They'll get it as a PDF either way (whether you submit as Word or PDF).
    You submit Doc's or Docx's (your choice), then LSAC combines these with the primary application and generates a pdf in the order you upload the files, and you're given the chance to preview the overall application pdf one last time prior to submitting.
  • mk940808mk940808 Alum Member
    209 karma
    For your own convenience I would suggest PDF as word is more susceptible to having issues with formatting whereas you'll never have that with PDF.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2017 23929 karma
    @mk940808 said:
    For your own convenience I would suggest PDF as word is more susceptible to having issues with formatting whereas you'll never have that with PDF.
    the problem with this is because PDF files can contain all kinds of weird things, such as password protection, edit locking, encryption, etc that makes them a nightmare to combine with other files.

Submit word docs is your best bet :)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Overall it shouldn't matter, but I would submit it in docx format. :)
  • 224 karma
    Alright thanks guys! Seriously this is has been immensely helpful, despite I have been told to do both. I think I will try both ways with two schools I'm not so excited about and see which one turns out best.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2017 23929 karma
    @onecallthatsall said:
    Alright thanks guys! Seriously this is has been immensely helpful, despite I have been told to do both. I think I will try both ways with two schools I'm not so excited about and see which one turns out best.
    No problem! Again, I HIGHLY recommend against submitting in PDF. As a matter of fact, I think one of the admissions consultants I follow on Twitter tweeted about this issue not too long ago. Trying to find it, haha.

Good Luck! :)
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    To add to the confusion, my admissions person recommended I submit in PDF to ensure that pages maintain their formating. You just need to make sure that they are simple conversions, use CutePDF ensures a simple PDF that easily combines with others.

You can check it at the end before submitting to make sure nothing has gone wrong, but really you just need to make sure you check the final file before submitting, no matter which way you go.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    tl;dr: it doesn't matter. Just check the preview to make sure it formatted correctly