Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overconfidence Errors

SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
Hi Guys,

I don't really know how to address overconfidence errors. So far, I have been taking my PT's and BRing just the questions I circled, and then BRing the rest of the section. However, it has come to my attention that it is more important to BR the questions that you circled first and then address overconfidence errors.

My question is this: what do you do to address the overconfidence errors? Do you look at your test booklet and see the question you circled and try to see what your reasoning was? What if you don't remember it? I took a PT on Friday and am now reviewing the test bc I was busy yesterday. Do you just try to reason why the one you chose is wrong and all the other answer choices? Or do you look at the answer and then rationalize why that is correct and the others are incorrect.

I'm really confused about the process for the overconfidence errors and would be most appreciative of any insights or help someone can provide me.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27841 karma
    After you've reviewed all the questions you circled, you are ready to score your exam. Plug everything into analytics, and see what happens. From here, we identify our OC errors and return to them. Rework the question very carefully. Break down the stimulus both logically and grammatically. From there, write out a summary of the argument in your own words. Then, write an analysis of the argument. Is it a good argument? Are there any conspicuous problems? What's going on? Then, work through a similar process for each AC and write out an explanation for why each one is either correct or incorrect. When you're done, watch JY's video to confirm your reasoning. Personally, I added the additional step of further reviewing the question in my study group. I didn't want to just understand it, I wanted to be able to explain it simply and concisely.

And always remember that the purpose of BR is not to get the right answer. It's to achieve correct understanding which goes far beyond getting the right answer. It can be a grueling process, but if you commit to it and do it right, you won't make those mistakes again. And that's what it's all about.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Break down the stimulus both logically and grammatically.
    This has helped me immensely. Great advice.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" thank you so much for this, I understand the process now. So, you do suggest inputting the analytics before reviewing the overconfidence errors then? Is this to see the question types one needs to work on?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27841 karma

You can't identify something as an overconfidence error until you know you've missed it. An overconfidence error is a question that you didn't mark for BR but missed. So other than scoring the test, there's no other way to identify OC errors for review.

• SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma

@Cant Get Right said:
    You can't identify something as an overconfidence error until you know you've missed it. An overconfidence error is a question that you didn't mark for BR but missed. So other than scoring the test, there's no other way to identify OC errors for review.

Oh yeah, I knew that, I meant the significance of checking the section in the preptests first and then reviewing vs entering in the analytics.

I also like to BR LG and RC and then enter all scores into analytics. So what it sounds like to me is it doesn't matter as long as you identify BR and overconfidence questions and then review them.

@"Cant Get Right" sound correct?

P.S. Thanks for all your input and help!!