Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is logical reasoning perfection possible?

slee146slee146 Member
in General 42 karma

It seems games can be mastered with practice,

is it the case with LR as well? Or perfecting LR just not a realistic expectation?

Comments

• texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma

Yes. I have made my LR go from -14 to -11 to -4/5 per section. The questions I am getting wrong now are either curve breakers or silly questions. At worst, I have the potential to knock it down to -3/-2 at best, I may be able to get it to -0.

Absolutely, you can perfect LR. It takes patience.You will know when you are beginning to get it when it starts to click and you are not sure why. Sometimes I do my LR and it feels like a motion. It flows. Until, of course, I get that back breaking question.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

I go -0 on LR fairly frequently. It's harder to perfect than LG and nearly impossible to do with the same level of consistently, but yeah, -0 in LR is totally possible. What's strange about it is that the only way to do it is you have to be 100% comfortable with missing a couple. It takes aggressive pacing and skipping.

Pacing strategies can be a little risky. Every once in a while, my pace will cost me -1. But you know what I get in return? 10 minutes at the end of the section. That's a great trade and I'm happy to make it.

Skipping is just a matter of confidence. If you're overly concerned with going -0, skipping doesn't really make sense anymore. If you cannot miss any individual question, then you can't afford to let one go. Skipping is all about pushing the ones you're most likely to miss to the very end. If you're going to run out of time, run out on the one/s you're most likely to miss anyway. An inability to skip is how people get bogged down in time sinks, and it's why many people at a -2 level frequently go -6 or worse.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said it perfectly. While I would love to go -0 on an LR section, strategically, for me personally, a -1/-2 on the section is almost just as sweet.

• SherryS1SherryS1 Member
    477 karma

@slee146 I agree with the comments above. One thing I'll add is that similar to to LG, much of LR is very recycled. Once you've seen enough tests, you'll realize it's just the same templates, the same flaws, even the same scenarios (pollution, crime rates, heart disease, etc.) being used over and over again.

I'd guess that for someone like JY who has spent some five years with LSAT LR questions, it must feel like he hardly ever sees a new one.

605 karma

@SherryS1 said:
    @slee146 I agree with the comments above. One thing I'll add is that similar to to LG, much of LR is very recycled. Once you've seen enough tests, you'll realize it's just the same templates, the same flaws, even the same scenarios (pollution, crime rates, heart disease, etc.) being used over and over again.

I'd guess that for someone like JY who has spent some five years with LSAT LR questions, it must feel like he hardly ever sees a new one.

This is such a good point. I wonder if some can pick up on these details without picking up an LSAT book. Are there people who can test better simply by repetition? It would never work for me, but if you have a general understanding of why you got a question wrong and what makes the question right, repetition could essentially be the only thing you need.

• SherryS1SherryS1 Member
    477 karma

@accountformerlyknowasvd1988 I think some people can but I too am not one of them :). On the other hand, my sister's friend got a perfect score on the LSAT. Obviously, I asked my sister to ask her what her strategy was. Apparently she just took PTs. She and her friends would then go over each question they struggled with kind of like our BR calls. I didn't specifically ask if she had bought a book or not but she obviously had a knack for the LSAT. The impression I got was that she didn't spend much time studying either. I'm super jealous :)

605 karma

@SherryS1 said:
    @accountformerlyknowasvd1988 I think some people can but I too am not one of them :). On the other hand, my sister's friend got a perfect score on the LSAT. Obviously, I asked my sister to ask her what her strategy was. Apparently she just took PTs. She and her friends would then go over each question they struggled with kind of like our BR calls. I didn't specifically ask if she had bought a book or not but she obviously had a knack for the LSAT. The impression I got was that she didn't spend much time studying either. I'm super jealous :)

Haha- those people! They always get me jealous. I wish things came to me that easily. That's okay, though. We work harder ;)

• slee146slee146 Member
    42 karma

Thank you for all the advices! I should really try the pacing strategy to see how it works for me :smile: