Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average Increase with Practice Tests

nyc2dc2canyc2dc2ca Alum Member
in General 107 karma

Over the past three months, I completed the 7sage course and the Powerscore LG Bible. I took my first post study practice test and scored a 162 and -5, -5, -6, -6 on my four sections so there is no glaring weakness in a particular section for me.

I am planning to take 20 practice tests before the June 2017 LSAT and I am aiming for a 167+.

1. Is this a reasonable expectation?

2. How big of a score increase do people usually see after taking lots of timed PTs?

THANKS!

Comments

• Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma

Sorry, but I think that's a unrealistic goal. You have until June to prepare. And you're aiming for 5 points? You should aim higher.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@"Q.E.D" said:
    You should aim higher.

Lol, agreed!

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

Haha, yeah, you're in a great spot for at least a 167. It's never guaranteed, but I think you have a great chance in getting even beyond that.

• nyc2dc2canyc2dc2ca Alum Member
    107 karma

thanks for your encouragement @danielznelson @montaha.rizeq @Q.E.D !

Do you have a rough estimate of how much the average person improves after practicing with PTs +blind review? Also, are 20 PTs enough?

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma

Focus on maximizing your logic games for a couple of weeks!!

• Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    edited January 2017 556 karma

Sorry for not addressing your questions directly. I don't know who would be in a position - who would have the statistics - to answer those questions. I've seen ppl here recommend "at least 20 PTs," though it's important to leave some for future prep in case you choke on the first take.

I can only tell you my case. I plan to take in Feb (may not be able to for ID reasons). I put in a solid month of LG drills in Oct and then got swamped with work and had to take 2 weeks off (now) to prep full time. So my prep sucks compared to the ideal. Here's where I stand:

Diagnostic: 164
    PTs: 15 (7 40s, 7 50s & PT69)
    Max: 177
    Past 3 average: 173
    Test Goal: 175

Most of the improvement came from JYs LG videos and effective skipping.

My issue was 80% LG, so it's been easy to focus my energy on that. Your case may be different, but I'm impressed by your diagnostic bc I went -10 or -12 in my first LG section. I just sat there trying to ratiocinate it out like a doofus with no notion of a diagram.

• nyc2dc2canyc2dc2ca Alum Member
    edited January 2017 107 karma

@Q.E.D thanks for the encouragement. I didn't score a 162 on a completely fresh diagnostic. I chose to complete the LG bible and the 7sage course before taking my first full length diagnostic.

I'll work on the LG games in particular and do as many exams + blind review as I can to increase my score. 167 or higher was my initial goal. A 5 point jump from my 162 diagnostic seems reasonable but I'll shoot for more!!!

• Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma

Your best bet to improve quickly is to get better at logic games.