Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much time for logic games?

edited February 2017 in Logic Games 1025 karma

I just started the Logic games portion of the CC and I am a bit unsure at how much time I should limit myself to during the timed portions. It was spelled out very easy in the RC where it is 3.5 for the passage and 3.5-4.5 depending on how many questions. What would be the timed goal for LG? I will still deeply review during BR, but I like to get myself used to the optimal time constraints right off the bat.

Thank you!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

Every game will be different. They range anywhere from between 5 minutes to "Honestly, I have no idea. However much time you have left, that's how much time you spend on this game."

Instead of aiming for a certain time, time yourself and see how long it takes you. Then check and see how that compares with the recommended time. Each LG explanation will include a suggested time, so use that to see how you did, and then work towards that time in fool proofing.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    edited February 2017 3112 karma

I agree with @"Cant Get Right." Where you are just starting, it is all about assessing where you are and not putting the added pressure of trying to do something you may not know how to do in set period of time. Use each game as an opportunity to add a metric to this through comparing your time to the recommended time. By doing it this way, you will gain new knowledge about what your expectations are for each game, which will help you stay relaxed. This way, you won't freak out when you take ten minutes on a game because you'll know that certain difficult games are supposed to take you longer.

Hope this helps!

• edited February 2017 44 karma

Of course in the most general sense, there is 8:45 per game if you divide total time by number of games. What you will find out though is that some games just take longer and others, if you're prepared, can go by quite quickly (sometimes under 5 minutes).

I assume when you mean timed portions you are referring to the practice sections in the core curriculum. The answer to your question really depends on where you are at in your study. If you are at the beginning of learning logic games, I would suggest taking your time, use a timer if you'd like but early on pay attention to your diagramming, inferences, intuition, etc... Pay attention to the process. As you get better at the basic skills your time will drop dramatically with practice. At that point, you can use JY's suggested time which is on the review of each game for an idea of where you should be if you are trying to get a near perfect or perfect score on the logic games section.

Don't rush into speed. It's important to build those fundamentals first. Also, don't get frustrated by the times listed on the review screens. You will progress at your own pace and have talents different from other individuals. I seem to be able to do a lot of sequencing games well under recommended times. In/Out games, though, well, I hope we can be friends by June! Good luck.

• 1025 karma

@OldManAndTheLSAT @"Cant Get Right" Thank you two so much! I'll take y'alls advice and just keep a timer going. It sounds like a great approach to really understand what I am doing first. It might even help easing frustration too.

Thanks again!!! <3

• 44 karma

Anytime!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I use a stopwatch that counts up when learning and doing new logic games:
    http://www.online-stopwatch.com/large-stopwatch/

My honest advice would be to forget about time (for the most part, I mean don't try every permutation of an answer or brute force everything!) However, I think one of my biggest errors when learning games back when I was using Powerscore/Manhattan and before I found the magical LSAT oasis of 7Sage was putting too much timing pressure of myself. Others might disagree, and they have really valid arguments. That said, for me, timing should be secondary and learning and mastering the fundamentals of the questions should be #1. Now, an old mentor/sage Allison once argued that essentially our job is to get good at taking this timed exam and not just get good at the test. I'm paraphrasing, but she made a really strong case for why timing is always important. So I now use that stop watch and keep track of time. Yet, again, like anything else I've ever mastered speed came with confidence and mastery of the skills. I just imagine trying to learn to play guitar trying to play as fast as Jimi Hendrix. Ain't gunna work....

In sum, keep track of time, but in my opinion, don't focus too much time on it. Just make sure you are improving. In general, when starting out easier sequencing games take about 5 minutes, double layer ones, maybe 7, and the hardest can take 10. But again, those are estimates and when you are learning your timing will be completely different! Hell, I'm still learning and I just keep using that stop watch to ensure I'm improving every time I do the game again while fool proofing.

• 1025 karma

Will do @"Alex Divine" . I just saw this post, but thank you so much!!
    I see you in the discord lots and I'll try to join in one of these times.