Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Appplication Cycle to apply?

deannajschneiderdeannajschneider Free Trial Member
edited October 2014 in General 4 karma
3.85, 161 Sept LSAT.
On my PT, in the weeks leading up to the Sept exam, I was consistently scoring a 167-169. I am confident I can do better. (Bombed the first two and aced the last two sections. I believe it might have been nerves)

Although I plan to take the December 2014 exam, I am wondering if it is in my favor to wait until the next application cycle (class of fall 2016) or apply this cycle (class of fall 2015)?

I am looking for scholarship money, which would be feasible if I score a ~168. However, I heard the earlier you apply, the more likely you will get in (rolling admissions) and the more likely you will receive scholarship money (non need-based).

I am really dependent on scholarship money, so I want to have the best chances of earning as much as possible. Which application cycle will be the most beneficial for my situation?

Comments

• marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    Not sure... Just refreshing your comment because I would like to know too.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Are you applying in the US (where deadlines are around February) or Canada (November deadlines)?
  • danballinger5danballinger5 Alum Member
    198 karma
    Applying early makes a huge difference in scholarship money. Where you apply makes a difference as well. When I went through this process in 2008-09, I didn't get my application in until February, which was close to most of the deadlines.

Lewis & Clark, a private $chool, offered me a $12,000 per year scholarship. The University of Oregon, a public school, offered me $3000 per year. Schools are able to offer more to those who apply earliest, as they are dipping from a larger pool. The later you apply, the smaller the available pool gets.

One thing to keep in mind: the larger scholarship you get, the better you are expected to perform once you get to law school. Keeping my scholarship during the 2nd semester at the U of O was contingent upon me finishing in the top 25 - 30% of my class during the 1st semester. The LSAT is fun brain teaser compared to a law school final. However, if your index score (LSAT+GPA+individual law school adjustments) is much higher than the average, you should probably not have to worry about getting decent grades.

What does the typical class profile look like for the school you think you need 168 for?