Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scores dropping?

in General 316 karma

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some insight from some of the members of this community. For a couple of weeks, I was hitting somewhere around my target score and averaging just 1 or 2 points below my target. However, I just took another 2 practice tests over the course of two weeks and my score dropped 6 points or so. I've been feeling a lot less confident with my answers and I can't tell if it's because of the way I've been studying, or if it's the types of concepts the tests are covering, etc. I was wondering if anyone here had this experience before and had any insight as to what I can do about this. I'm starting to get a little bit worried.

Thanks so much!!

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

I knew someone from TLS that experienced the same thing you are describing. The consensus was typically that it could be a subliminal sign of burn out. Maybe take a few days COMPLETELY off (no CC, no drilling, no PT, no LSAT at all). When the aforementioned person returned they actually saw an improvement in scores IIRC.

Also worth thinking about.. which PT's did you see your score drop on? If you went from new to old, or old to new.. that could explain some of the variance. Also worth analyzing which question types you missed and if there is any correlation.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    edited April 2017 3112 karma

As @Mellow_Z said, this is burnout. Take a whole week off. Don't do any LSAT, don't look at forums. Don't watch videos. Just detox yourself. Comeback with confidence and the right frame of mind and you'll be right back on the saddle :)

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

@LSAT2017123 said:
    Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some insight from some of the members of this community. For a couple of weeks, I was hitting somewhere around my target score and averaging just 1 or 2 points below my target. However, I just took another 2 practice tests over the course of two weeks and my score dropped 6 points or so. I've been feeling a lot less confident with my answers and I can't tell if it's because of the way I've been studying, or if it's the types of concepts the tests are covering, etc. I was wondering if anyone here had this experience before and had any insight as to what I can do about this. I'm starting to get a little bit worried.

Thanks so much!!

See if there are any question types that you are consistently getting wrong or taking a long time to answer. If not, you're probably burned out. 3-4 days will serve you well. Don't take a week

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma

@LSAT2017123 said:
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much!!

Hey,
    So there could be a lot going on. For one 5-6 points fall from your average PT score is a range that's pretty normal on PT's. Two, it could be you are less confident. I would try over confidence drills where you move on from a stimulus as soon as you seen an answer choice and see how you do. You might have to scale back a bit to find the right spot between confidence and score. For example, start with moving on from a question if you feel 80% confident. If your score is still excellent, try 70% on the next section. And keep going till you see a score drop. So if you did awful on 50% but great on 60%, the later is your confidence range. You don't need a 100% confidence to get questions right. If it happens that you still get questions wrong with 90% confidence, you will have to learn the concepts underlying those questions so you can feel confident about them.

I hope that helped. Good luck.