Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who here keeps an LSAT journal?

NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
in General 5320 karma

I've seen a few Sages recommend this and I'm curious how you find it helpful. I'm also curious what sort of things you write about, how often your write, and what kind of structure do you use?

Thanks for sharing : )

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I keep a "journal" of sorts. The most useful thing in it is the pages that I keep track of which logic games I need to practice, what types of LR I'm struggling in, and things I should keep note of as I'm doing RC. I use it whenever I'm blind reviewing and when I'm drilling logic games.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"surfy surf" Ah I see. So for you, it serves more as a "state of affairs" -- keeping track of weakness areas and the strategies you need to employ to address them?

• needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    175 karma

I use my journal as reflection, like what i did wrong today and why do i think i chose the wrong answer etc

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

I don't know what an LSAT journal is. Can someone please explain?

• BranTwiceBranTwice Alum Member
    204 karma

I have a small moleskin journal, of sorts. I use it to track my progress statistically, and I make note of concepts I wish to employ on my next preptest. The stats pages are like LSAT Analytics, but they display the information with more depth. I track how much of each question type I miss in LR, and which types of games trip me up. I also track the differentials so I can see if I am actually improving on these areas of weakness.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Yup, I do. It's pretty resourceful in the sense that I can refer back to it to see my progress on certain games, question types etc. But you can easily do that on an excel sheet, it's all about preference. Besides that though, I like to write down notes as I go through lessons, I usually don't even refer back to it but the idea of writing down what I'm learning is helpful retention wise. :)

• conraddnoronhaconraddnoronha Alum Member
    150 karma

So I have a book of all the LR questions I get wrong. I don't know if that's called a journal. It will be great if one of you can elaborate a little more on how to maintain a journal and what to add in it.

• MA to170MA to170 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

Don't have a journal per se; but have a lot of papers and once I understand a topic put it in a pile as reference point; then review at later date, if/when needed.

• J ArandaJ Aranda Member
    48 karma

I have a Journal that I use. I mostly just take notes from the lessons on here. I divided it up by Logical Reasoning, Logic Games and Reading Comp. I've found it's helped me, because I can go back and review my notes on a certain topic, and I know where to find it quickly instead of having to go through the lessons to find it.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    So for you, it serves more as a "state of affairs" -- keeping track of weakness areas and the strategies you need to employ to address them?

I really like this description for what I do. I've got a lot of specific questions/games/passages. What I normally find most useful are 1) specific questions/games/passages I never was able to quite break open to a level of full understanding, and 2) specific questions/games/passages where I felt like I experienced breakthroughs. These, along with the accompanying explanations and reflections, are great to revisit. Those breakthroughs are great to reinforce and build on, and as I progressed, I was often able to turn my struggle questions into new breakthroughs. It helps to not only track our understanding, but also our processes and approaches to things which are how we arrive at that understanding.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"Cant Get Right" Love it. I am imagining two columns: "Tough nuts to crack" and "Peanut butter". The goal being to move into peanut butter.

27822 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    @"Cant Get Right" Love it. I am imagining two columns: "Tough nuts to crack" and "Peanut butter". The goal being to move into peanut butter.

Lol, yeah, that is a wonderful way to look at it.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@jkatz1488 said:

But what if it's crunchy peanut butter?

27822 karma

@"montaha.rizeq" said:
    But what if it's crunchy peanut butter?

Until it's smoothy perfection, there's still work to be done.