Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im confused with Relative vs absolute flaw questions

Positive-1Positive-1 Alum Member

Relative v. absolute
A is faster than B, therefore A is fast. Well, not necessarily. A is faster than B in relative terms. It doesn’t imply that A is fast in absolute terms. For example, we know that the conclusion in this statement is not true: “Hippopotamuses are smaller than an elephants. Therefore, hippopotamuses are small.” Or take this statement: “Turtles are faster than ants. Therefore, turtles are fast.”
Can someone please explain this?

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited May 2017 10774 karma

@"Shazia..." said:
    Relative v. absolute
    A is faster than B, therefore A is fast. Well, not necessarily. A is faster than B in relative terms. It doesn’t imply that A is fast in absolute terms. For example, we know that the conclusion in this statement is not true: “Hippopotamuses are smaller than an elephants. Therefore, hippopotamuses are small.” Or take this statement: “Turtles are faster than ants. Therefore, turtles are fast.”
    Can someone please explain this?

I think you got this! Those are great examples <3

Another one just for kicks : )
    Premise: Jane got a higher LSAT score than Tom.
    Conclusion: Therefore, Jane got a high LSAT.

In reality Jane could have gotten a 150 while Tom got a 142. Doesn't mean Jane got a high LSAT score, she actually got a low score of 150 in this case.
    It's possible that Jane got a 179 and Tom got a 165 and Jane indeed did have a high LSAT score. But just based on our original statement that Jane's score is higher than Tom we can't presume that Jane's actual score is high. She could have scored a 150 or 179 or any other LSAT score that's higher than Tom. Doesn't mean its actually high. It's possible its high but we can't be sure - and that's why its a flaw. <3

I hope that helped.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@"Shazia..." you got it! Obviously you're still missing something though. Can you be more specific? What's not clicking for you? One just is and the other only is in specific instances.

• Positive-1Positive-1 Alum Member
    985 karma

thanks Sami. I understand the examples but when its lsat question I'm confused.

• Positive-1Positive-1 Alum Member
    985 karma

Tanes... its flaw questions I'm confused.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-53-section-1-question-22/

Great example of this here! I am happy to work through it with you if you have questions :)

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-53-section-1-question-22/

Great example of this here! I am happy to work through it with you if you have questions :)

This is great <3 @"Shazia..." I would definitely take him up on that offer. Working one on one can be really helpful. Thanks @JustDoIt. : )