Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Core Curriculum Drill Sets - 7Sage Forum

Core Curriculum Drill Sets

in General 62 karma

Hi, during the core curriculum, is it advised to time yourself on the practice sets given (i.e., the 5 questions per set in the LR section)? Or is it better to not time and focus on strategy and comprehension?

Thanks

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2017 23929 karma

Both. Do them timed first, then Blind Review and do them untimed.

Remember, we ultimately have to get good at taking a timed test.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Your first strategy should be to make sure you truly understand the material and are not getting answers right by chance. Having said that, I think you should do the problem sets untimed first, and then once you feel you have a good grasp on the material to try and do them under timed conditions and BR afterwards.

• 62 karma

Thanks, i appreciate the feedback :)

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@Lawyer007

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Remember, we ultimately have to get good at taking a timed test.

This! OMG, don't get caught in this trap! Timing killed me because I was so used to working untimed. You shouldn't do much untimed. BR should not be timed but drilling and obviously PT should be timed. You need to make sure you're grasping the concepts but just be mindful that on game day you're timed.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I am going to advocate strongly for the untimed practice.

If you don't have the fundamental knowledge, and you attempt to drill timed, you might practice bad habits of thinking as you attempt to find shortcuts to finish a question on time.

Instead, identify the correct processes, learn the underlying knowledge required, and practice those deliberately and correctly. As you master these things, time will naturally fall. There will be plenty of opportunity once you start doing practice tests to figure out timing strategies and pacing, but you don't want to undercut the foundation of your knowledge by rushing before you truly understand.

I just completed fool proofing logic games. If I had attempted to rush in the beginning, it would have taken me far longer to do well on games. Instead, I took as much time as I needed to figure out inferences and game set ups. With repetition, my time naturally fell.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited May 2017 11542 karma

@AllezAllez21 said:
    I am going to advocate strongly for the untimed practice.

If you don't have the fundamental knowledge, and you attempt to drill timed, you might practice bad habits of thinking as you attempt to find shortcuts to finish a question on time.

Instead, identify the correct processes, learn the underlying knowledge required, and practice those deliberately and correctly. As you master these things, time will naturally fall. There will be plenty of opportunity once you start doing practice tests to figure out timing strategies and pacing, but you don't want to undercut the foundation of your knowledge by rushing before you truly understand.

** I just completed fool proofing logic games. If I had attempted to rush in the beginning, it would have taken me far longer to do well on games. Instead, I took as much time as I needed to figure out inferences and game set ups. With repetition, my time naturally fell. **

+1 to all of this but especially what was mentioned in asterisks. Essentially, time and having fundamental skill/knowledge go hand in hand. If you know the fundamentals, the timing should accompany that. If you think you understand the material and find that you're running out of time, it turns out you still have some skill to work on and that needs to be focused on before timing yourself.
    Your best bet is to put all your fundamental understanding and tedious work forward so when it comes down to timing yourself you'll be in better condition and technically saving time.