Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Losing focus after the break

batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 226 karma

It has occurred to me that every time I take the 15 minute break after the third section and come back to start section 4, I lose focus and I can't get back into the questions until about 15 questions in... I am not very attentive and overlook some of the details in the Question Stems... Has anyone experienced this as well and does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

Ahh yes. This problem is far to common. I'm convinced people who haven't ran into this problem, simply aren't taking PTs in a proper way. Read this post by 7sage instructor Jon Wang -

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2683/tackling-the-break-a-dance-dance-revolution-inspired-approach

Also, what are you doing during the break?

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    226 karma

I go to the washroom, drink some water and a little snack...

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

@therealnas What did you think about the post I linked?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I largely find it depends on what I do during the break that determines how well I do when I get back to it. I like to just sit with my eyes closed and sort of try to stay in the zone.

The article Jknauf posted is also a gem!

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited May 2017 2301 karma

This is a really important challenge. I can say from experience that it really comes into play on test day. You will have people during the break joking around or saying dumb stuff. Normally, that is good fun, but it is important to stay in the zone. You don't have to be anti-social, but don't get distracted. You are there for a mission: crush the LSAT.

@jknauf's linked post is awesome! Not only does it talk about one of my favorite games (DDR), but it also gives some great insight into staying in the zone. What helped me was thinking about LG and LR questions in my head. Not the questions from the test (that might freak you out), but just questions in general. It kept my mind focused on the LSAT.

In any case, I am really glad you are thinking about this now and working on it. This will really help you on test day. Good luck!

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    226 karma

@jknauf The post was very informative! Thank you so much for linking it! @"Alex Divine" and @"Daniel.Sieradzki", I will keep your advice in mind as well. I think I am a lot more confident now and just have to tweak that little strategy. I was in fact taking a break and letting my mind relax when it seems almost obvious to follow the above strategy! Thank you so much! I will ascribe that at least +2 raise on you guys :)

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    edited May 2017 424 karma

yeah, thanks for sharing that post @jknauf and thanks @"Alex Divine" and @"Daniel.Sieradzki" for your comments! Thanks for asking the question to begin with, @therealnas! :smile: