Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Principle or PSA?

akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
in Logical Reasoning 9377 karma

Principle or PSA question?

In LR, I try to identify the question type as quickly as possible, but sometimes I cannot identify immediately. I have hard time differentiating PSA and Principle questions under timed conditions.

Typical PSA questions are like:

"Which one of the following principles, if valid, most helps to justify the reasoning above?"

and I can identify it as PSA immediately.

But for example, PT57.S2.Q1. says:

"The reasoning above most closely conforms to which one of the following principles?"

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-57-section-2-question-01/

This is a fairly easy question, but I didn't know that this is a PSA question until after I read the stimulus and ACs.

Do you have any tips in differentiating PSAs from Principles quickly?

=============================================

Is Q39.S2.Q11 a PSA question?

Also, 7Sage labeled Q39.S2.Q11 as PSA, but I feel like this is a Principle question since we're given a conditional statement in the stimulus, and answers give us a premise and a conclusion.

"Which one of the following judgements most closely conforms to the principle above?"

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-39-section-2-question-11/

Is this a PSA question? If so, can someone elaborate on the difference between PSA and Principle questions?

Thank you :)

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited May 2017 4196 karma

when it says "The reasoning above most closely conforms to which one of the following principles?", this means that they are saying the principle is within the ACs (notice the 'following principles'). this is what 7sage categorizes as PSA questions.

now for "Which one of the following judgements most closely conforms to the principle above?" which is for PT39 S2 #11, this is saying that the principle is in the stimulus (notice the 'above'). thus, you have to apply the principle in the stimulus to an AC. this is what 7sage categorizes as principle questions.

hope this helped!

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

Do people tend to think of these questions as Principle Apply vs Principle Identify? The Cambridge packets organize them like this and I'm just curious if it helps.

4196 karma

@RafaelBernard said:
    Do people tend to think of these questions as Principle Apply vs Principle Identify? The Cambridge packets organize them like this and I'm just curious if it helps.

that's how I usually think of them. Applying vs identifying.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Thank you!!

@TheMikey said:
    now for "Which one of the following judgements most closely conforms to the principle above?" which is for PT39 S2 #11, this is saying that the principle is in the stimulus (notice the 'above'). thus, you have to apply the principle in the stimulus to an AC. this is what 7sage categorizes as principle questions.

hope this helped!

So maybe Q39.S2.Q11 is mislabeled as PSA on 7Sage...?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Principle - what is the underlying theme of the argument? These are always going to be generalizations, as in they are going to take something that applies in this case and use as a component of an overarching general theme.

PSA - these are general too, but they are general connections. They are going to connect one issue to another, but do so in away that covers a much broader scope than the argument requires. The strength is actually weaker than SA because they are assuming that this is part of or fits into the generalization they are making.

The common thread is both arguments are going to have extremely general answer choices. One is just what underlies the argument, which is just part of a generalization. The other is a general statement that will bridge the gap.

PT39.S2.Q1 is a principle question because you are applying the principle from the stimulus to an answer choice. Sometimes, though, principles can go the other way around. So I would just be aware of that.

Hope this helps!

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

Very well put @JustDoIt Ambiguity/generalization in ACs is the key signature of principle/PSA types, so really be mindful of that when prephasing.

4196 karma

@akistotle said:
    Thank you!!

@TheMikey said:

hope this helped!

So maybe Q39.S2.Q11 is mislabeled as PSA on 7Sage...?

I may have said it backwards without realizing it lol. I get confused and don't really remember with 7sage's PSA/Principle distinction since I just think of it as applying vs identifying. Justdoit said it better though!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Thank you so much for your comments!

@"Dillon A. Wright" or @"J.Y. Ping"
    PT39.S2.Q11 seems to be a Principle question, but it's labeled Misc PSA. Could you take a look and change the label if possible?

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@akistotle said:
    PT39.S2.Q11 seems to be a Principle question, but it's labeled Misc PSA. Could you take a look and change the label if possible?

Thanks, checking this out!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:

@akistotle said:

Thanks, checking this out!

It looks like a principle question for sure. <3