Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone out there spare some motivation for me this Friday afternoon.

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
in General 13286 karma

LR has just flattened me. I feel like I can't break the code. I get easy questions wrong, hard questions seem easy and medium is anyone's guess. My score is stagnant and I'm getting that creeping feeling of "you just can't improve" or "160 is the best you can do".

I want to implode. I can't let this test win. Help me!

Comments

• saul.j.slowiksaul.j.slowik Alum Member
    54 karma

Learning is a gradual process. I felt the same way a few weeks ago. I got sidelined by a surgical procedure and came back fresh. I went back through the basic logic curriculum and have been doing a little better.

Take a breath. Take a break. Do something relaxing. Go back to it, and go through the problems slowly and build up skill. You'll get better with time.

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited June 2017 1741 karma

Your forum name is suiting for this post. It seems like this may be a reoccurring theme. See if you can embrace a more positive attitude, and detach yourself from your score. Looking through your other posts, they seem to indicate you may be working on the earlier prep tests. So the good news is, it looks like you have at least 40+ fresh PTs to work with. Young man (or lady) you still have plenty of opportunities left, and very long road ahead of you.

Try an honest evaluation of your study habits. How is your blind review? Are you truly sitting with a question until you are at 99% certainty? Or, do you just sit with a question until you are "pretty sure", and then you go and watch JYs video? Then after you watch JYs video and realize you were completely wrong, do you keep that question in a little inventory, or do you just put it aside, never to be seen again? Have you fool proofed every logic game that you can get your hands on? How about your reading comprehension score. During RC blind review, do you mark down in the passage where each answer choice is supported or the exact spot where it is not supported? How is your skipping strategy? Do you have a skipping strategy? Please tell me you have a skipping strategy.

Do some serious self reflection and ask your self, are you truly doing EVERYTHING you can to improve on this test. How passionate are you? A few weeks ago, I missed a medium difficulty flaw question, and that question prevented me from hitting my target score. I literally lost sleep over this. But, you better believe, I won't miss a question with that flaw ever again. After you have completed a self evaluation, come back here and change your name to LSATgonnakickyourass.

Keep in mind, a 160 is nothing to laugh at. You hopped over 80% of other test takers (if this is what you are scoring). The jump from 140s or 150s to the 160s is relatively faster than moving up from the 160s. Every point earned from 160 and up is a bitter sweet fight. To score in the top 1%, you must either have won the genetic lottery and be blessed with an exceptionally brilliant mind, or, you must push yourself to the level of understanding that 99% of other test takers failed to achieve.

Trust the process, and be sure you are doing everything to the best of your ability. You got this, you only needed a little bit of tough love.

Best wishes

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Screw motivation! It comes and goes like hunger.

It's all about building the discipline to get back up when you're feeling down like this. You got this test man, your name says it all! LR can be a bitch to get down, but do maybe 10 Qs and really sit down and go through each one. Break down the argument core and make sure you are understanding the arguments correctly and on a deep level. Practice seeing past all the names and bullshit the LSAC puts their to distract you. The better I get at the LSAT, the more I see it like math. The logic is always the same and the only thing they can change are the words (variables)

You can get whatever score you put your mind to!

More importantly, if you've been at it all day or a few hours and are starting to feel this way, call it a night and take a break. :)

• TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
    1008 karma

Sometimes I take an hour to analyze a single LR problem. Learning is a gradual process AND a slow process.

You got this!!!!!

• Jun_hwangJun_hwang Alum Member
    38 karma

Whenever I feel defeated, I tell myself there is always something good coming from this seemingly bad defeat.

Only fight that matters is on the test day and the thousand defeats along the way are only going to make you stronger and smarter.

Dont focus on the results right now, focus on the process and cherish the grind.

Take a knee and reset your mind. Go out on the attack.