Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drilling RC

Was wondering how people drill RC with the memory method. How many passages at a time? How often? Timed or untimed? Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• jeffsimo28jeffsimo28 Alum Member
    16 karma

I've occasionally done 1 passage, BR, check answers, repeat for a full section. Other times, I just drill on an entire RC section. I think both are good, it's helped me get into the habit of how to time each passage and questions (I shoot for ~2-2.5 minutes passage, 6 minutes questions), although I still need to work on moving a little quicker and getting out of each passage in 8.5 minutes or less. Hope this helps!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

It really just kind of depends on where you are. Untimed drills are great early on in your prep. While you are working on the fundamentals still learning the basics, I don't think there's much benefit in adding on time pressure. Once you feel like you have the gist of things and are solid on your mechanics though, time management becomes the name of the game and so it's important to move pretty exclusively to timed full section drills.

Similarly, how often to drill kinda just depends on how much time you have, what your current focus is, and how your abilities stack up. If you consistently go -0 on LR and LG with a -15 on RC, then you should be drilling RC pretty often, lol. If you work full time, that's going to have a drastic effect on your study schedule compared to if you're a full time LSAT student. If you're trying to really hone in on RC, then you'll do more of it compared to LR and LG. But while you're focusing on LR, you won't do as much as often. So you just kinda got to do what you can when you can based on what you're trying to accomplish at any given time.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    Was wondering how people drill RC with the memory method. How many passages at a time? How often? Timed or untimed? Any input would be appreciated.

I usually drill sections. Right now untimed because I am still pretty awful at timed RC and wasn't getting better adding in time. How often? Well right now I'm re-going back through the CC again as I fool proof games, so not very often. I try to do a passage a day, at least. Just keep me sharp

I think if you're starting out, untimed may be best. However, do not do this for long. Remember!! This is a a test we ultimately need to get good at taking timed and under pressure. Shit, I bet we could easily get 170s with unlimited time. So it goes to show you how important practicing with time and pressure is. Though, @"Cant Get Right" 's point makes complete sense when you are still learning the basics. Just don't use the crutch "untimed" for too long.