Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ADD and test day?

BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
in General 553 karma

Hello all. I've been prescribed adderall for a while now and I'm fully aware of its effects. I've studied for the LSAT with and without adderall where I'm doing much much better ON it.

I was wondering if I should also take one on the test. Or if it would be necessary.

I don't condone it's use without a need...and this is not what my question is about. I'd advise anyone who hasn't done it to definitely notttt take it on test day as I guarantee you'll royally screw yourself over.

On adderall I have no issues with timing and accuracy. I finish sections with 5 minutes left over and I'm comfortable with all the material. Without adderall, the best I can get to finishing is by rushing and skipping. I don't absorb information so readily and I miss words because I don't concentrate enough.

My preptests are great on adderall I just worry that it might not be the same test day.

I'm generally great with stimulants like coffee and energy drinks and increased stimulation never leads me to spaz out.

Comments

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

To add, I've taken the LSAT once already, without my prescription and I know what the test conditions are like. It didn't really worry me test day but I do know that I Spazzed out during the test and didn't finish a lot.

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

Because this is a question regarding a serious medical condition/drug, I would recommend talking with your doctor about this issue. They might be able to shed some light on the possible benefits/drawbacks of using adderall for a major test. You should weight that with your own experiences in order to come up with the most appropriate solution.

The LSAC sometimes also provides test accommodations to people with ADD (http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/accommodated-testing). If it is something you consider appropriate, you can bring in the necessary paperwork to your doctor to go over it together and discuss possible options.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck on the test and hope everything works out well for you.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

Take whatever cocktail/dose you are used to. You're right, test day is no time to experiment. Consulting a doctor is probably best.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Thank you guys, I took a testing condition timed practice test after having taken my dose and I think it went well. I don't want there to be highs and lows while I'm taking my test so I'm going to take it 30 minutes before.

As far as testing accommodations, I'd hate to be given special privileges along side the ability to take my script. Taking adderall makes me normal in terms of focus and if I'm okay now then anything else is extra and unfair I think.

Again, thanks. I'm glad it didn't turn into a bashing, id just like to hear opinions. ????

• 92 karma

Hi Kewlaidd! I think you should just do you. You know you, and you know your body. If something helps you, then use it. Of course, talk to your doctor, but it isn't as if you are taking this drug leisurely (not that I would judge if you were). ADD is a relevant disorder, and if you had type 1 diabetes, or another form of physical ailment, taking your medicine or not wouldn't even be something up for debate. If something helps you, and doesn't harm yourself or others, I say, why a not?

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    2301 karma

Very good, it sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into this. Ultimately, you know the most about your own body, ADD, and the effects of the drug. I just wanted to provide you with as much information as possible (doctor's advice, LSAC accommodations, etc.). It sounds like your plan will allow for stable test conditions on game day. Good luck on the test!

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma

As someone who also has ADHD, I'd definitely recommend doing what you're used to on test day. If you've been mirroring test day conditions with your prep tests, then there really shouldn't be any issue; but going off medication can absolutely have deleterious effects (and it appears that it did the first time you took the LSAT). In any case, good luck!