Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Permanent LSAT Plateau? Advice appreciated

ahmadkre93ahmadkre93 Free Trial Member
in General 26 karma

I'm taking the June 12th LSAT. My first diagnostic was 152 and highest was 162; I would say my average is 161 and goal is 164. I have been studying daily for 4 months but my diagnostic scores have not improved in the past 4 weeks. In addition to the 1000s of questions from the prep course, I have taken nearly 20 (timed and proctored through the 7Sage app) prep tests. Of the most recent 9, 7 have fallen between 160-162 and the other 2, which are the ones I have taken most recently have dropped to 158. I have taken a prep course, had 7 2-hour personal tutoring sessions, consulted the correct resources/books and I have studied in a very proactive manner. In all three: LR, LG, & RC, I have performed well, often getting only 0-5 wrong in a section. My issue is that I have been unable to put those into one exam. When I perform exceptionally well in a section, its outweighed by a section where I perform worse than usual. And of course, I tend to do better in the ungraded section.

It is very demoralizing and I am beginning to think that I have reached the peak of my "LSAT intelligence" and that I am not meant for the "top schools." It doesn't help that I have never been a great test taker. Thoughts of taking the LSAT a second time in September have crept into my mind, but I don't see why or how I can improve for September when I haven't been able to improve currently, when I'm at my LSAT studying peak.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation or have input regarding taking it again in September? Any tips or thoughts appreciated?

Best,

Comments

• ploderupploderup Free Trial Member
    3 karma

I don't know what to say other than "keep pushing." It's common to see a permanent jump in score after 6-8 weeks of PT'ing. Now, that won't help you in time for Monday, but if you decide to take the September test as well, it might.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@ahmadkre93 said:
    When I perform exceptionally well in a section, its outweighed by a section where I perform worse than usual. And of course, I tend to do better in the ungraded section.

I think this is normal. I think what's happening is that you are scoring within your range right now which is around 160's. It's pretty remarkable how LSAT average will be consistent unless something changes i.e. your understanding or strategy or you fix an issue.

It is very demoralizing and I am beginning to think that I have reached the peak of my "LSAT intelligence" and that I am not meant for the "top schools."

You have not reached the peak of your LSAT intelligence - you have reached the peak of what you think you are capable of which is very different. I do think its possible for you break this plateau but I also agree that something needs to change and you need to identify what you are doing wrong.

Thoughts of taking the LSAT a second time in September have crept into my mind, but I don't see why or how I can improve for September when I haven't been able to improve currently, when I'm at my LSAT studying peak.

Although I think it's great to study alone, I think its key to ask for help when recognize you can't break through a plateau by yourself. Have you tried joining one of the study groups? Or asked a tutor for help? 7sage has extremely affordable tutors. I would suggest getting one of them to take a look.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma
    1. You are destined for top schools and entirely capable. 2. Don't let this plateau discourage you. If you are able to wait and take the test in Sept. a second time for those extra points try and do it. I agree with @Sami if you haven't joined a study group, try that or a Sage tutor. I hopped on a call with Sage Daniel once who told me it took him a year to fully grasp one concept on the LSAT and he inevitably scored in the 170s. It may take a little more time, but you can do this.
  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Also, have you looked into possible test anxiety? There is a good thread in the discussion that speaks to this. If you have it terribly bad, you may want to try meditation or even ask your doctor for an Rx to assist.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

I don't know if you're made for a top school or reached the top of your "LSAT intelligence," but I do know that if you give up now you're going to fall short.

What program did you take?

How do you review questions you get wrong?

Honestly, the secret for how I got better was simply caring about my mistakes. Spending time figuring out why I am sucking at X. Usually it was because I didn't understand something that was preventing me from fully answering the question. Also reinforce good habits: when you get questions right, write down why they are correct. Same with the ones you miss.

Yes, it will take a long time. Yes, it will be hard work. But it is one sure fire way to improve.

Have you looked into a 7Sage Starter Course? Skills and strategies like fool proofing logic games, to bling review are all game changers. At least check out "Blind Review" and "Fool Proofing Logic Games."

Lastly, you don't have to take next week. It's probably the most common advice on here. If you're not ready, why take the test? There's two tests in life people love to take before they are ready: The LSAT and their driver's test. I can understand the latter, but why not take as much time as you need to get a good score on a learnable test? One where a good score can essentially be the equivalent of winning the lotto and a bad score a hell-ish life.

All I have to to say is move to NYC and you run into so many unemployed lawyers. It's insane. It's also because they went to Pace/Hofstra/NYLS instead of just NOT going or studying harder for this test.

Good Luck! I hope things get better for ya and some of this advice above helps :)

• ahmadkre93ahmadkre93 Free Trial Member
    26 karma

Thanks for the responses; I'll certainly keep pushing. I think my main issue is that I haven't gotten the LR question types down to a science, as far as how I approach the questions. I'll also start going over the questions I got correct as opposed to just the questions I got incorrect. You've all been very helpful and I'll definitely consider the advice. I'll take the June 12th exam and depending on my score, I'll proceed from there. If I decide to take it again in September, I'll look into the 7Sage study groups.

Good Luck to everyone,

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@admittedly said:
    Thanks for the responses; I'll certainly keep pushing. I think my main issue is that I haven't gotten the LR question types down to a science, as far as how I approach the questions. I'll also start going over the questions I got correct as opposed to just the questions I got incorrect. You've all been very helpful and I'll definitely consider the advice. I'll take the June 12th exam and depending on my score, I'll proceed from there. If I decide to take it again in September, I'll look into the 7Sage study groups.

Good Luck to everyone,

It sounds like you need a program. I'm biased and will recommend 7Sage's starter course ($179) or The LSAT Trainer/Manhattan/Powerscore. All are good programs, though they may get some hate around here.

I also think it is a very poorly idea to take the test in a week. You're admittedly not ready. Why have that mark on your transcript. I'm telling you, even with unlimited takes, not much will change. The better schools will always prefer those who nail the test the first time. It shows poor judgment to take before you are ready.

Good luck with whatever you decide, though :)

• imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

@ahmadkre93 i've been studying for the lsat for about six months and am taking it this monday... i've hit more than a few walls! the most effective method for improvement i've found is the blind review taught by 7Sage. it really helped me figure out what concepts i fully understood and which ones i needed to relearn.

i'd also highly recommend creating an excel spreadsheet with all of your misses on preptests. i categorize my missed questions by question type and by miss type. this has allowed me to analyze my data and draw out inferences about what i need to really focus on in my studies.
    my three different types of missed questions:
    1. 100 percent confidence in the wrong answer during a timed preptest
    2. selecting a wrong answer again during blind review
    3. missing the question during the timed test and getting it right during my blind review.

as an example, i often miss reading comprehension "author attitude" questions under timed test conditions, but then get them right during my blind review. obviously having the extra time during blind review allowed me to reread the passage until i found the word or phrase that indicates the correct answer. seeing that i was able to get those questions right during blind review helped me establish a new notation method while reading the rc passage. i now circle any word or phrase that specifically relates to the author's attitude. when i run into those questions it's now easier to quickly scan for words or phrases that will help me select the correct answer.

my lsat preptest walls:
    160-163 (4-5 preptests with full blind review)
    165-167 (10-12 preptests with full blind review)
    169-171 (15-20 preptests with full blind review)
    171-.... (i'll let you know after monday!)

my advice: take the test this monday. if you feel like you crushed the logic games section, then keep your score. if you know you struggled with more than one game, then cancel your score. either way plan on taking the test in september. i know you can break through your current wall.

lastly, remember that the lsat doesn't test your innate intelligence. it is designed to test your ability to study over a prolonged period of time. anyone can score high if they are willing to put in the time.

(about that blind review: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/10875/blind-review-is-my-best-friend)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma

Glad you brought up Blind Review @imharris . That's a huge part of how I broke the 160's plateau. Typically, when I work with people who have plateaued, what that means is that their study strategies have taken them as far as they could. The solution is to adopt different, better, higher level study strategies. Lots of students get into the 160's and keep doing the same exercises they've always done. But the things that get you to one level can't necessarily take you to the next. Question type drills are one that I see a lot. Once you get into the 160's, I just don't see those being very useful anymore. You should have that down. That is remedial. Sometimes remedial studies are helpful, but they are definitely not what are going to propel a 160's student into the 170's.

• thinkorswimthinkorswim Alum Member
    433 karma

Hi ahmad, Im exactly in the same boat as you. I started with the same initial diagnostic and am PTing at exactly the same score as you. I'm also taking the June 12th LSAT this Monday except it took me around 8 months to get till where you are at today. I'm just using this as a kind of test run as I don't plan to stop till I hit that 170. Maybe that'll motivate you to know that there's someone out there that's exactly the same. Best of luck !

• imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

@"Cant Get Right" blind review is no longer my best friend. blind review is my god.